• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam 35th in points

I see Sam is in the top 35, while Dario misses out at 39

http://nascar.speedtv.com/sprint-cup/standings/
    Tara was the name of our cat.

McMurray is right there though. 4 points is nothing. Sam better keep finishing races.

From 37 on back, they will likely be in the go-or-go-home group all year now.
    IRL 2009: "Cars you can't see, driven by drivers you have never heard of, on a network you don't get"

"I'd hire your grandmother, if she brought a budget"- Bankrupt Indy Car team owner Tyler Tadevic, to Curt Cavin in December, on the tough standards he looks for when "hiring" driver talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Tara
      I see Sam is in the top 35, while Dario misses out at 39

http://nascar.speedtv.com/sprint-cup/standings/
      Good for him. Glad to see one of them made the cut to this point. Wonder how this will impact Dario however if he doesn't make it.

Also sad to see Kyle Petty is below the cutoff line. He's never been the best racer, but he's been a great ambassador for the sport and a genuinely nice guy.

Comment

I don't share in your sadness about Kyle Petty. I think at one time he had some talent, but these days he is a waste of a car for a once-proud organization. Bobby Labonte has been doing okay in the other Petty car, and he is on the decline as well. If they put a young talent in Petty's car it would be well worth the effort in the long run.
        "You make one **** of a caucasian Jackie." The Dude Lebowski

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Noonan
          I don't share in your sadness about Kyle Petty. I think at one time he had some talent, but these days he is a waste of a car for a once-proud organization. Bobby Labonte has been doing okay in the other Petty car, and he is on the decline as well. If they put a young talent in Petty's car it would be well worth the effort in the long run.
          Suppose he could continue to run in the Nationwide series in his son's old car as he has been. Might be a better match for his current skill level than sitting at the back of every cup race.

Comment

Originally posted by athletics68
            Kyle Petty...he's been a great ambassador for the sport and a genuinely nice guy.
            Which is why he stands to better serve the sport from outside of the car. I understand why he got into the car after Adam's death, but it's now overserved its sentimental purpose. Kyle has plenty to keep himself busy on the business side, and he does well, but could do even better if he didn't have the burden of driving. I'd like to see him come out for Daytona one-offs and the like (like Bill Elliott does), but hang it up for the full season.
            Doctorindy.com

Comment

Hornish Secures Top 35 Spot

RacingOne Report

Posted Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sam Hornish Jr., driver of the Penske Racing No. 77 Mobil 1 Dodge Charger, took to the banks of Bristol Motor Speedway for the first time in his racing career this weekend. After starting in the seventh position, Hornish Jr. battled a tight car but avoided trouble on the track to finish the Food City 500 in 29th place. The finish advanced the No. 77 team to the 35th position in the 2008 owner points standings, securing a spot for the team in the NASCAR Sprint Cup event in Martinsville, Va. in two weeks.

Hornish Jr., tasked with learning a new track and fighting for valuable owner points, was intent on running a smart race and taking the checkered flag at the end of the day. As racing action was set to begin, crew chief Chris Carrier focused his driver and team on the task at hand and reminded them of the nature of racing at Bristol Motor Speedway.

“Things can happen fast here,” radioed Carrier. “Don’t worry if we happen to make a mistake. We won’t be the first or the last. Let’s just make sure that one mistake doesn’t lead to another. We have a good chance at having a strong race and getting back into the top 35 heading to Martinsville.”

Soon after the race began, Hornish Jr. radioed that Mobil 1 Dodge was tight. By lap 29, the situation had gotten worse.

“We’re going to free you up on this first pit stop,” said Carrier. “You’re doing a great job out there. You’re doing an awesome job.”

Hornish Jr. was in the 14th position when NASCAR called a competition caution on lap 50 due to rain on Friday and Saturday. Hornish Jr. came to pit road on lap 53 for four tires, fuel, air pressure and track bar adjustments. He restarted the race on lap 57 in the 21st position.

As racing action resumed, Hornish Jr. reported the Mobil 1 Dodge remained on the tight side. When a caution came out on lap 95 for debris, he once again came to pit road for four tires, fuel, air pressure and track bar adjustments. He restarted the race on lap 100 in 30th place.

A newcomer to the track, Hornish Jr. focused on running his line and remained on the lead lap until lap 150. Still battling a tight condition, the Mobil 1 team caught a lucky break when the caution flag flew on lap 191 for a multi-car accident in turn two.

“The right front tire is just about done,” radioed Hornish Jr, “We’ve picked up a pretty bad vibration so that was a good caution for us.”

Hornish Jr. came to pit road for service, and despite continued adjustments, the tight condition persisted. By the mid-point of the race, he was running in the 30th position, two laps down to the leader.

Hornish Jr. continued to battle the tight condition on track for the remainder of the race. He finished the Food City 500 in the 29th position, running five laps down to the leader. Penske Racing teammates Kurt Busch and Ryan Newman finished the race in 12th and 33rd place respectively.

“We accomplished what we had to today,” said Hornish Jr. “We stayed out of trouble and worked our way back into the top 35 in owner points. After we had tough luck in two of the first five races, it feels good to know that our hard work and determination has gotten us back into the top 35 headed to Martinsville. We just couldn’t seem to get the adjustments to go in our direction. The race was definitely intense and I was probably bumped more than I bumped others but today was a good day for us overall.”

Comment

This weekend at Bristol, I visited Sam's trailer and bought a nice polo and an autographed Mobile 1 cap. The hats were $22 whether they were signed or not. I was glad to wear it. There may not be a lot of Sam's gear available, but what he does have is good looking. His NASCAR jacket, in my opinion, is the best lookingest one at the track. It is black with the red Pegasus flying on the back. If they had one for kids I would have bought it for my son.

Comment

Kinda sad that Hornish being 35th is worthy of a press release.
                  "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Originally posted by Racewriter
                    Well it was big news that he and Dario made the jump. Guess they're just continuing coverage. The big thing to me is how the OW guys didn't just come in and kick butt. Guess NASCAR is harder to drive than many give it credit for.

Comment

But weren't you claiming that he wouldn't finish the race? Isn't he also the top ranked rookie?

I personally wish he would fall flat on his face. The only joy I get out of Sam doing ok in NASCAR is that it makes people like you look like jack***es.

Comment

Originally posted by athletics68
                        Well it was big news that he and Dario made the jump. Guess they're just continuing coverage. The big thing to me is how the OW guys didn't just come in and kick butt. Guess NASCAR is harder to drive than many give it credit for.
                        There's a lot of on track politics. Drivers work together and Sam and Dario are alone. Also, theres the "Bristol Stomp". In Indy Car, it's called a black flag. I don't think Sam and Dario can adapt to the demo aspect. Tony Stewart seems to have faired well. But Sam, Dario, Juan, get up in the mix at times.

Let's take a Cupper and put him in an IndyCar at Indy and see what happens. Can you say, 'pee you pants.'
                        Get your head out of your past!!!

Comment

Maybe it's "kinda sad" for you, but I like that he is getting the attention and I feel he's worthy of it. Rome wasn't built in a day and apparently the same can be said of Sam's NASCAR career. Penske, by the way, feels that Sam will become a good "Cup" driver and I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw
                            But weren't you claiming that he wouldn't finish the race? Isn't he also the top ranked rookie?

I personally wish he would fall flat on his face. The only joy I get out of Sam doing ok in NASCAR is that it makes people like you look like jack***es.
                            Yeah, he's exceeding my expectations by a whole 4 points.
                            "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Kinda sad that 35th is worthy of a free pass to the next race too.

And yes I do wish my series had 35 cars entered
                              Live like Dave

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X