Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharp-Rahal Settle

No Details.

Evidently money changed hands and everybody is happy!
    ...Always follow the money

Originally posted by irloyal
    No Details.

Were any fantlers involved in the deal?

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."
    -John Morley

Comment

Who cares who won or lost in this one.

AOW lost a recognizable American driver and a new sponsor. Those 2 things are becoming dinosaurs.
      IRL 2009: "Cars you can't see, driven by drivers you have never heard of, on a network you don't get"

"I'd hire your grandmother, if she brought a budget"- Bankrupt Indy Car team owner Tyler Tadevic, to Curt Cavin in December, on the tough standards he looks for when "hiring" driver talent.

Comment

Acura had a huge two-page photo ad in today's USA Today advertising their ALMS participation, and the Patron ALMS car was very visible. I thought "Nice car... damn." (as in, gee, that used to be an IndyCar).
        Paul Woods
        IndyCar Buzz | 500 Miles to Go

Comment

Originally posted by irloyal
          No Details.

Money always changes hands, and everyone always ends up satisfied, if not happy. Money solves almost all disputes. The only one I don't see being settled by the proper amount of money changing hands is Forsythe/Tracy. That puppy is just plain spite on Forsythe's part.
          "Sometimes a majority simply means that all the fools are on the same side." C. McDonald

Comment

Probably time for a career change for Mr. Sharp. The guy certainly contributed to the IRL for a long time. No biggie.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Baum
              Probably time for a career change for Mr. Sharp. The guy certainly contributed to the IRL for a long time. No biggie.
              Sure, its no big deal.

I mean, we are just jammed full with American drivers and new sponsors.

Sharp did win the "Non Big 3" points race last year, so he wasn't exactly putting around out there like Dario is in Cup.

Sharp did contribute a lot to the IRL for a LONG time. Unfortunately, we don't seem to care about that anymore. We would rather cater to Paul Tracy and Derrick Walker's whims.
              IRL 2009: "Cars you can't see, driven by drivers you have never heard of, on a network you don't get"

"I'd hire your grandmother, if she brought a budget"- Bankrupt Indy Car team owner Tyler Tadevic, to Curt Cavin in December, on the tough standards he looks for when "hiring" driver talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Hendricks
                Sure, its no big deal.

Sharp did win the "Non Big 3" points race last year, so he wasn't exactly putting around out there like Dario is in Cup.

Sharp did contribute a lot to the IRL for a LONG time. Unfortunately, we don't seem to care about that anymore. We would rather cater to Paul Tracy and Derrick Walker's whims.
                I am not sure people "don't care", it's just it's hard to feel sorry for Scott Sharp when clearly he doesn't want to be in the ICS anymore.

If he wants to run ALMS, that's cool, it's a fun series, but Sharp isn't a victim here, he wasn't pushed out, he walked out.

Comment

Originally posted by lotuspoweredbyford
                  Sharp isn't a victim here, he wasn't pushed out, he walked out.
                  Yup, and like Hornish, Franchitti et al, I no longer care what they are doing.
                  Delta Force Theme... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUeQOIlcDM You're Welcome

Comment

Sure, its no big deal.

Please Jimmy. Look, Scott's a good guy and a decent racer, but a "recognizable American name?" He hasn't won jack in the IRL in years.

I think you GREATLY overstate his value.

ALL IMHO.
                    "Why do we do this? Because we love it, don't want to be anywhere else but a race car. We will keep your legacy my friend. Racers race."

Tony Kanaan

Comment

Originally posted by Racing Truth
                      Please Jimmy. Look, Scott's a good guy and a decent racer, but a "recognizable American name?" He hasn't won jack in the IRL in years.

ALL IMHO.
                      I disagree. When you ask your average American to name the most popular drivers, they will almost always say Dale Earnhardt Jr., Jimmy Johnson, Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, and Scott Sharp. Guy is top five easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Racing Truth

ALL IMHO.

No one is saying he is as recognizable as half of the Cup field.

But, when you only have 9 full-time American drivers in your series, any American driver would be a positive at this time. Especially one, that had been a consistant part of the sport since 1995. Sharp didn't win a race last year, but he wasn't Marty Roth either. Being that he was on a team that had no prayer of ever winning a race, winning the "Non Big 3" points battle at least shows something.

Plus, the loss of a new sponsor is a killer too. Not many of those "sprouting up" either nowadays.

Comment

Plus, the loss of a new sponsor is a killer too. Not many of those "sprouting up" either nowadays.
                          I frankly think losing Patron was a bigger loss than losing Sharp, because it appeared Patron was willing to put some real money and promotion into the series.
                          Last edited by lotuspoweredbyford; 03-16-2008, 02:45 AM.

Comment

I was not a Sharp fan by any means, but...it is a shame that he is not in the series. He was good with his sponsors, and his sponsors were recognizable names. I know last year when some friends came with me to the 500, they wanted to know who drove the Patron car, and rooted for him during the race because of his sponsor. I didn't care much for some of his driving style, but he was mainstay for years, with multiple race wins, and that is something the league needs.

Comment

Originally posted by lotuspoweredbyford
                              I frankly think losing Patron was a bigger loss than losing Sharp, because it appeared Patron was willing to put some real money and promotion into the series.
                              You are right. Sharp was only going to be around the IRL another year or 2. Patron, had a chance to be around a lot longer than that. And, they were a REAL sponsor, not tied to Honda.

Love or hate Sharp, but he did win 9 IRL races in his career. And, when you consider that the IRL may line up close to 20 drivers at Homestead, who have never won a IRL or Champ Car race in their lives, then the guy may have not been all bad.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X