Forsythe/Minardi/Rocketsports/Walker Reaction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forsythe/Minardi/Rocketsports/Walker Reaction

I loved the line in Cavin's blog the other day about the "drunken frat party" that accompanied the merger, followed by the cold realities of sobriety the next morning. The good news that has followed since it became official has been pretty sparse.

There could not have been a more fitting way to end the split. If it wasn't dumb enough for two series to fight over a niche sport for twelve years, the endgame has sealed its fate. While some might laud Kalkhoven and George for finally getting this done, perhaps if they had true....I'll say, it, "vision"....they would have made it happen on their own initiative and not when their hands were forced. If there had been some foresight even in November, the Champcar teams would have had a better shot to get on the grid, a logical schedule could have been worked out, etc. Instead, everyone waited until a month before the season and now we have this duct-taped "super series" that's automatically supposed to restore open wheel racing in America. Great start...

Perhaps we can sign Duct Tape as a Series sponsor?

There was no easy way to get this done. I'm sure if TG would have closed the door on them, the problem would be far worse.

IMO, people need to mellow and enjoy the races.
    Get your head out of your past!!!

Comment

This is my biggest frustration......This merger looks like a Cluster f#%k and when the product on the track doesn't live up to its billing.....it could take a negative turn for OW. I'm actually worried more about this year than in the past 5. If the merger could not have been done right, than just let Champcar die on its own. Teams, sponsors and tracks would have had more time to get ready for next year with everyone better prepared.
      We want to relate to Americana. I went to the Indy 500 and that was Americana. I sat in various turns and I didn’t see any champagne drinkers, but I saw a lot of beer drinkers. We appeal to the wine and cheese crowd, but we also appeal to the masses – the beer drinkers.” Randy Bernard

Comment

I agree to an extent, Grinder. I'll watch and enjoy like I always do. It just seems like this was the last silver bullet and might have been botched by poor timing.

Comment

You guys will love this:

http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=10662
          Get your head out of your past!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder-Tank
            Perhaps we can sign Duct Tape as a Series sponsor?

Maybe there is still hope for the "revolutionary" FE Oval-Centric future for
            AOW?
            "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Comment

The reality is that CCWS was finished no matter what. TG should be applauded for agreeing to pay any money at all to the CCWS principals, and then providing a way for them to continue racing by making it easier for them to compete in the IndyCar series.

Comment

Will the 16 race INDYCar schedule announced last year go on as planned? Yes

These guys were ridding Kevin's dime and now that that's gone they head for the hills.......who cares? Better now than 2009 when this thing REALLY kicks into gear......actually it kicks into gear the day after the 2008 LBGP, when the DP01 gets moth balled, "champ car" assumes it's rightful place with the ABA and USFL and all the venues can begin promoting the "CARS AND STARS OF THE INDY 500"
                the man in expensive shoes

Comment

Originally posted by numrounofan
                  ....actually it kicks into gear the day after the 2008 LBGP, when the DP01 gets moth balled, "champ car" assumes it's rightful place with the ABA and USFL ....
                  And don't forget...........

"Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder-Tank
                    My read on that is, 'Ok now the major excuse of why the sales department hasn't been able to sign a title sponsor, get more race and team sponsors is gone and it's time to get them or get out.' They're on the clock and talk is cheap, step up and deliver. Were I in that sales department I wouldn't be flying so publicly high until I had something to brag about.
                    "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                    "They're criminals"
                    "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

It amazes me at how many people who have no clue what is going on behind closed doors run around screaming things they know nothing about. The sad part is they pull the weak ones right off the cliff with them. Some of you need to throw everything you 'know' about the merger in a microwave for 29 seconds and hope you get an answer immediately. How about sitting tight and see what happens? Its not like your paycheck depends on the outcome (or your life for that matter). Just enjoy it, 25 cars at Miami is better than either series separately was going to experience, so how is that a bad thing? 2008 is going to be the best thing we've had in a long time and 2009 will be even better.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor83
                        It amazes me at how many people who have no clue what is going on behind closed doors run around screaming things they know nothing about. The sad part is they pull the weak ones right off the cliff with them. Some of you need to throw everything you 'know' about the merger in a microwave for 29 seconds and hope you get an answer immediately. How about sitting tight and see what happens? Its not like your paycheck depends on the outcome (or your life for that matter). Just enjoy it, 25 cars at Miami is better than either series separately was going to experience, so how is that a bad thing? 2008 is going to be the best thing we've had in a long time and 2009 will be even better.

Post of the Day.
                        Skypigeon "If you're not on the bus, don't whine about the direction it's going."

Comment

Just enjoy it, 25 cars at Miami is better than either series separately was going to experience, so how is that a bad thing? 2008 is going to be the best thing we've had in a long time and 2009 will be even better.

Amen :applause:
                          RIP Dan Wheldon :(

"Anybody who says the IndyCar Series is not the best championship in the world is a complete idiot in my book." ~Dan Wheldon

"It's a discussion board, not a society ball." ~Skypigeon

Comment

THANK YOU! I'm much more excited about who I'm going to see race at Homestead than I care about who chooses not to show up.....before amalgamation mania.......we were looking at hopefullly 20 cars to take the green.........now we know it will be a healthy field......enjoy the peace dividend,,,,,,
                            the man in expensive shoes

Comment

At what point in time will we be able to stop saying "wait 'til next year"?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X