Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marketing The IRL: Dave Despain To The Rescue...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Marketing The IRL: Dave Despain To The Rescue...

    Dave Despain: My Take

    I've never thought of Dave Despain as a marketing consultant, but this is a major idea:

    "It’s really simple...get Helio Castroneves a ride at Long Beach! The Grand Prix now pays points toward the IRL title. It’s a no-brainer. How many times have we heard that more people have seen Helio dance than race? Well, here’s the perfect opportunity to cash in on that. Put the Dancing with the Stars winner in a race in Hollywood’s back yard, then watch the entertainment reporters scratch each others eyes out trying to get credentials.

    If that happens, just as ABC cranks up a new DWTS season - hotter, sexier and steamier, we’re assured - isn’t it safe to assume that its cross-promoting subsidiary ESPN will bill this as the biggest thing since...oh...say… Danica at Indy?"


    Thing is, this is a very simple idea. The best marketing plans are. People don't get lost in the details.

    IRL: DO This!!!

  • #2
    Nah... it's too easy, they'll never go for it.
    "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

    2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

    2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

    2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm thinking the people affiliated with the Motegi event have their own ideas for Helio.
      www.ragingphotos.com

      Comment


      • #4
        He doesn't know what Motegi means.

        jono

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by flatlander_48
          Dave Despain: My Take

          I've never thought of Dave Despain as a marketing consultant, but this is a major idea:

          "It’s really simple...get Helio Castroneves a ride at Long Beach! The Grand Prix now pays points toward the IRL title. It’s a no-brainer. How many times have we heard that more people have seen Helio dance than race? Well, here’s the perfect opportunity to cash in on that. Put the Dancing with the Stars winner in a race in Hollywood’s back yard, then watch the entertainment reporters scratch each others eyes out trying to get credentials.

          If that happens, just as ABC cranks up a new DWTS season - hotter, sexier and steamier, we’re assured - isn’t it safe to assume that its cross-promoting subsidiary ESPN will bill this as the biggest thing since...oh...say… Danica at Indy?"


          Thing is, this is a very simple idea. The best marketing plans are. People don't get lost in the details.

          IRL: DO This!!!

          I'm all about the melding of AOWR........and i support it 95%....it's this race weekend that leaves me scratching my head, or the other 5%...I hope in the end it doesn't leave some fans/press/teams scratching there heads wondering WTF

          oh well....I hope it's just the last big speedbump in the road to recovery

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Ken
            I'm all about the melding of AOWR........and i support it 95%....it's this race weekend that leaves me scratching my head, or the other 5%...I hope in the end it doesn't leave some fans/press/teams scratching there heads wondering WTF

            oh well....I hope it's just the last big speedbump in the road to recovery
            The good news is that it's one stinking weekend, never to be repeated and won't be mentioned by the time they roll out for practice at Kansas and by the time they open the gates at the Speedway even Donald Davidson will have forgotten about it. It's going to amount to the answer to a trivia question.

            Sadly the LBGP hasn't drawn all that much attention recently outside of the the CCWS fans and Motegi's time and TV make it hard for even ICSfans to connect with. So are that many people really going to notice?

            I equate it to the designated runner that Charlie Finley tried in the 70's right after the designated hitter was adopted by the AL. People yelled and screamed, Finley tried to sell his idea and in the end it's a small footnote in baseball history talked about less than Eddie Gaedel the midget Bill Veeck hired, not tried by any other team and Herb Washington gets a couple of lines in the Baseball Encyclopedia.
            "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
            "They're criminals"
            "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

            Comment


            • #7
              You are mistaken about one thing - Donald Davidson will definitely not forget it. He will have some banner material this year due to the amalgamation. Actually, I can't wait to hear Donald say "Amalgamation" on the radio with his accent.

              Comment


              • #8
                he just doesn't know what Motegi means
                Do they serve fried chicken and potato salad at Honda's company picnics like companies in the US do?

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm guess that the league will make a way for Danica, Helio, and perhaps Marco to do the double. They'll need to anyway to up the car count.

                  But I agree with DAVE.
                  Get your head out of your past!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by AceRacing
                    Do they serve fried chicken and potato salad at Honda's company picnics like companies in the US do?
                    Duck is the new chicken.

                    It's such a fitting way for the split to end - with one last reminder of how crappy it is when the US OW grid is torn in two.

                    jono

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I think Helio at Long Beach is pretty stupid.
                      "The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real." - Abraham Lincoln

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I'm thinking they've announced there will be two races but still have no idea how to pull of the Long Beach / Motegi weekend. I'm guessing the sponsors and promoters will be demanding Helio and Danica at Long Beach while Honda will demand they race at Motegi. Who knows how this is going to go.

                        I can't see any current IRL drivers jumping into a DP01 for a points race. That would be pretty stupid unless they are just that confident they can compete right away -which is doubtful.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm thinking that Roger Penske may have something to say about where Helio races and he will want him to have as much oval time leading up to Indy as possible.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by millrace
                            You are mistaken about one thing - Donald Davidson will definitely not forget it. He will have some banner material this year due to the amalgamation. Actually, I can't wait to hear Donald say "Amalgamation" on the radio with his accent.
                            Having long listened to the Talk from Gasoline Alley driving north on I-65 after being at the Speedway, DD never delves into anything controversial. He is very much on the inside at IMS and someone for years I always wished would offer opinion and insight on the split, possible merger and the state ot the sport but he never has. He has consistantly steered away from questions from listeners on the subject and often said that he knows some things but will keep them to himself. He very much follows the IMS line of keeping the information coming out to a minimum and not fueling any controversy.

                            And I think everyone knows how Motegi and LB are going to go. I've seen somewhere that points can only be scored in one race, nobody is going to fly across to get into a CC with no practice and the promoters aren't going to demand anything because they know what the answer will be. It's a complete non-issue.
                            "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                            "They're criminals"
                            "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              "And I think everyone knows how Motegi and LB are going to go."

                              No we don't. We have no idea how its going to go. Will Rocketsports and Minardi and Coyne and all of them race at Long Beach?

                              Will there be more than 18 cars at LB?

                              What about Motegi? How many cars will race there? Sounds like 17-19 if you count partial season stuff.

                              Maybe Llyod at Motegi?

                              Who knows. Definitely not me - and I'm thinking probably not you as well.

                              Comment

                              Unconfigured Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X