Brickyard 400 Downfall of AOW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brickyard 400 Downfall of AOW?

The beginning of Nascar's mainstream popularity?

In the early 90s, the Indy 500 was still the biggest race in the world. It attracted some of the best racing talent, including the occasional NASCAR driver. Anyone who was anyone, with exception of most Formula 1 drivers, came to IMS to chase a drink of milk on a hot Sunday afternoon. IMS was the motor sport's Mecca. Even the famed road course in Monte Carlo didn't measure up to the prestige of the 2-1/2 mile oval. But when NASCAR took the green flag at IMS in 1994, it turned this southern sport into a national sport. It was validation for a sport that spent most of its time racing in places most of the nation had never heard of, like Bristol, Talladega, Darlington and Rockingham, just to name a few. Now NASCAR was racing at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, an honor previously only given to the best open-wheel drivers in the world.

What do you guys think?
    "I would like to be able to admire a person's opinions as I would their dog - without being expected to take it home with me." ---- Frank A. Clark

and here we go.

in 3....
    http://danwheldon.shutterfly.com/

Comment

Comment

Comment

h
          Have a very blessed day!

Comment

I agree.
            Get your head out of your past!!!

Comment

Someone who would bring about the downfall of AOW would probably also put out a lower quality T-shirt than other open wheel series.

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."
              -John Morley

Comment

It will overtake Nascar(ap) in time. ( if it dosnt nose over, crash and burn )
                Sorry but it one or the other. TG is starting a new war........
                One worth fighting. :fishingth

Comment

Why does there HAVE to be someone/some series to WAR with?

NASCAR is just one type of racing, it happens to be the most popular at the moment.

ALMS is another....ooh lets start a war with them. Oh wait, what about F1, or the American Karting Stars.

What makes them all different is what makes it great to watch. I've got favorites in each type.

If anything, RACING should be unified against other sports. Hockey sucks, Soccer is boring, Basketball is just aweful (NBA). Baseball is roided out.

NASCAR has beatin' and bangin', Indycar is about precision car control, F1 is all about the fastest techno cars you can build. Love it all! Oh yeah, has racing ever had a strike that ended the season early, or canceled a whole season, or had "scrub" drivers to fill in for striking ones?

Ok, I've rambled on long enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvette Jack
                    What do you guys think?
                    I think you're absolutely 100% correct.

I was dead against NASCAR coming to Indy. When I saw AJ doing laps in a stock car I became okay with it. If it was good enough for him, it was good enough for me. Then along comes Jeff Gordon, who the media makes out to be a local hero. He wins, the racing capital of the world celebrates, and suddenly NASCAR is in style.

It still would've eventually passed Indy Car in popularity, but it would've never reached the levels it did, and certainly wouldn't have grown as quickly as it did.

Comment

I have to admit that I was not happy when I heard.........

that NASCAR was going to race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. But for the city of Indianapolis it was a big payday. I have been to the Brickyard 400 three times and saw Jeff Gordon win twice and Ricky Rudd. I think it is a boring race. And the weather is hot and humid. I'll never go again.

Comment

When the very first Daytona 500 was broadcast in its entirety on TV, that is when NASCAR became a "national" sport. From then, it just grew bigger and bigger year by year.

Comment

Originally posted by NoviVespa
                          When the very first Daytona 500 was broadcast in its entirety on TV, that is when NASCAR became a "national" sport. From then, it just grew bigger and bigger year by year.
                          Maybe, but it never grew quicker than it did in 1994.

They really had a perfect storm of things to get where they did. A couple of things that may be somewhat underrated:

- Tom Cruise in Days of Thunder
                          - Daytona USA, the SEGA made arcade game. This game is STILL found whever you can find video machines. At its release it was the #1 game by far, and remained among the top for a solid decade...if it's not still. That is absolutely unprecedented in a market that is dominated by newer, bigger, better, badder...graphics, sound, interaction.
                          - Tony Stewart. I really don't think you can underestimate the impact of Hoosier racing fans on the sport as a whole. Tony brought with him a ton of Indiana followers and completed the transition of Indiana to a NASCAR following state.

Comment

Originally posted by speedmonkey
                            It still would've eventually passed Indy Car in popularity, but it would've never reached the levels it did, and certainly wouldn't have grown as quickly as it did.
                            NASCAR had passed Indy Car in popularity before 1994....
                            "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP
                              NASCAR had passed Indy Car in popularity before 1994....

Yep.

They were selling out 29 races a year back when CART/IndyCar couldn't sell out 15.

But, we don't want to confuse a good argument with facts.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X