USGP to return?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USGP to return?

Negotiations are heating up between Formula One and Indianapolis Motor Speedway officials that could bring F1 racing back to Indianapolis in 2009. Speedway boss Tony George told an audience at yesterday’s IU Business Conference that he’d like to bring Formula One back in time for the Brickyard’s centennial celebration. The facility opened in 1909.

Just Marketing, an Indianapolis-based firm that pairs sponsors with motorsports properties, has been hired by the IMS to help sign a title sponsor for the F1 race. Just Marketing President Zak Brown said F1 czar Bernie Ecclestone and the series’ existing sponsors have a “strong interest” in returning.

“I know there’s been talk of having an F1 race at Las Vegas or Miami, but the Speedway is the only facility in the U.S. that is up to F1 standards,” Brown said. “Indianapolis is turnkey and ready to go. If the right sponsors can be put into place, I think this can happen in 2009.”

Brown said he and George had private meetings with potential sponsors late last year, and those discussions are progressing. Brown called interest among companies willing to fork over an eight-figure sum for a multi-year title sponsorship “fairly high.”

“I think F1 will come back,” Brown said. “At this point, I think it’s a matter of when, not if.”

F1 officials announce their schedule for the following year by late August. “We’d have to have a deal done by then,” Brown said. “The sooner we can make an announcement, the sooner [Speedway officials] can start marketing and promotions and selling tickets.”

If F1 races back into Indianapolis, Brown thinks it will stay for a long time.

“Tony wants to have F1 at his track for the rest of his life,” Brown said. “F1 is a huge global brand, and it fits with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway’s history.” George is 48.
    link

As soon as I saw the thread title, I was going to add what TG said yesterday, but, there it is
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

Yesss.

As personally overheard several times at F1 events at IMS: "Thank you, Tony."

Comment

A few months ago I heard whispers that if the merger went, the USGP would be back in '09.

Comment

How long is the MotoGP contract? Could they handle four major events? Or would the bikes and F1 somehow be matched up for a weekend?
          No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Yes, they could handle all 4. Presumably, the USGP would run in mid-June.

Comment

Bikes will run counterclockwise - I wonder if F1 will still go clockwise?

I think that IMS was needing the time to reconstruct the facilities and it really might not have been ready for F1 this year. I hope the circus returns to THE GREATEST RACING FACILITY on the planet.
              Witnessed Mario's "Miracle at Indy"...Watched 3 win their 4th Indy 500...Was there for Petty's 200th win...Saw the last Novi qualify

Comment

Originally posted by fivehundred2go
                - I wonder if F1 will still go clockwise?
                I hope so. The track is far from perfect, but turn 1 of the F1 course is fun.

Comment

I'd be a very happy person if F1 returns next year. As much as I love the 500 and IndyCar, F1 is just such a cool atmosphere and the sound of the cars is incredible.

I think there is room for all 4 races. If they could get a good title sponsor and 100k for F1 it would be fine. The bike race is much cheaper and will draw a dramatically different crowd than the 3 other events. I think people will be pleasantly surprised at how well MotoGP will do. It will be another cash cow for the Speedway.
                  "You make one **** of a caucasian Jackie." The Dude Lebowski

Comment

Originally posted by jkg
                    I hope so. The track is far from perfect, but turn 1 of the F1 course is fun.
                    I hope so too. If they bypass the MotoGP complex in Oval Turn 1 (which I also hope), nothing has changed besides Mickey & Mouse which everyone hated anyway.

With a late June date, the Speedway crew will be really on their toes changing the barriers from Oval (Indy 500) to RC (F1), back to Oval (BY400), then back to RC (MotoGP).
                    - Make a note of the word 'Gobbly-gook'. I like it and I want to use it more often in conversation.
                    --Yes, sir.

Comment

I just hope that the race is run when Mr. Tony George wants it to run. Not this F1 forcing the run date.

Comment

well if he gets f1 back then maybe he won't need NASCAR. That way all those racers if they want to run at Indy they will have to be in a open wheel car or a motorcycle.
                        Last edited by doitagain; 03-07-2008, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OneLuckyGuy
                          well if he gets f1 back then maybe he won't need NASCAR. That way all those racers if they want to run at Indy they will have to be in a open wheel car or a motorcycle.
                          LOL
                          Nascar (including the massive tv $$) makes all this other stuff possible.
                          Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

Not to mention that you make money by holding events, not getting rid of them.
                            No man can cause more grief than that one clinging blindly to the vices of his ancestors. - William Faulkner

Comment

Please no. F-1 never should have been brought here in the first place.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X