New track record?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New track record?

Do you think that if IMS were to allow special non qualifying runs, as part of May for which restrictions to aero, HP and other speed limiting restrictions were waived so as to set new open wheel records do anything to bring more excitment to Indy? (Whew, long sentence)
    "Moralism is often the first strength of a weak mind"
    -Norman Mailer-

No (short answer).
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

No and I don't believe there are any restrictions on aero.
      “If somebody blocked you, you either hit ’em in the *** or got out of your car and beat their ***,” said A.J. Foyt

Comment

Honda wouldn't allow it.
        It's always been about the Indy 500!
        I realize I have the right to remain silent, but don't have the ability or enough common sense to do so.:rolleyes:

Comment

It might create a buzz, but it won't happen. 230 is the hard limit, and that's ok. You really don't want people getting hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by sweaty
            Do you think that if IMS were to allow special non qualifying runs, as part of May for which restrictions to aero, HP and other speed limiting restrictions were waived so as to set new open wheel records do anything to bring more excitment to Indy? (Whew, long sentence)
            The aim of speed restrictions, contrary to popular belief, is not managed competition or even driver safety. It is SPECTATOR safety. Fly an Indy car into the stands and the resultant media backlash and legal actions will be more "excitment" than I think we want to deal with.
            "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Originally posted by jkentner15
              No and I don't believe there are any restrictions on aero.
              Of course there are, besides minimum wing angles, there are minimum and maximum wing sizes.

Comment

No - good grief - No! For what purpose? Glory or gory? (long answer)
                Witnessed Mario's "Miracle at Indy"...Watched 3 win their 4th Indy 500...Was there for Petty's 200th win...Saw the last Novi qualify

Comment

Originally posted by AceRacing
                  Of course there are, besides minimum wing angles, there are minimum and maximum wing sizes.
                  Not at Indy. Although the wings are a set size, there is no set wing angle for the 500. Some actually run a slightly negative wing angle during qualification runs.

Comment

Originally posted by Midget Fan
                    Not at Indy. Although the wings are a set size, there is no set wing angle for the 500. Some actually run a slightly negative wing angle during qualification runs.
                    Yep. There were some good pictures on here awhile back... I think back in 05 of the negative wing angles.
                    “If somebody blocked you, you either hit ’em in the *** or got out of your car and beat their ***,” said A.J. Foyt

Comment

Originally posted by sweaty
                      If the question is, would it bring more interest back, the answer is YES, absolutely it would.

Whether or not that is a good idea is obviously up for debate. But it is undeniable that when records start dropping people start coming out in droves.

Comment

The only records written down in the books happen during qualifying times. And during the race. All other speed times go by the wayside.

Besides, what would the world say, if such an attempt turned out to be fatal to a driver. Having a driver die just to make conversation?

Comment

230 is so far above what the "other" thing that come people call racing runs at that it makes no difference whether it is 230 or 235. I mean my god they run at 230!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by speedmonkey
                            But it is undeniable that when records start dropping people start coming out in droves.
                            It did not - if I remember correctly - the last time there was an assult on the records in 1996.
                            Witnessed Mario's "Miracle at Indy"...Watched 3 win their 4th Indy 500...Was there for Petty's 200th win...Saw the last Novi qualify

Comment

Originally posted by NoviVespa
                              The only records written down in the books happen during qualifying times. And during the race. All other speed times go by the wayside.
                              So nobody but me remembers Arie's 239?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X