Importance of first IRL race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importance of first IRL race

I think the opening race at Homestead in 3 weeks is a window of opportunity for the new combined series to make it's mark and set the stage for the entire season, conversely it could also become a lost opportunity for the IRL if they don't do it right.
    Putting aside the usual chatter of 'it's up to Homestead to publicize and promote the race', what specifically do you think The IRL should do and how should they approach this opportunity?
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Originally posted by carl s
    I think the opening race at Homestead in 3 weeks is a window of opportunity for the new combined series to make it's mark and set the stage for the entire season, conversely it could also become a lost opportunity for the IRL if they don't do it right.
    Putting aside the usual chatter of 'it's up to Homestead to publicize and promote the race', what specifically do you think The IRL should do and how should they approach this opportunity?
    A quick question... Does the unified field show up at Homestead... or does it show up after the "twin" weekend of Motegi/Long Beach at Kansas... or a little of both...? It might make a difference in what/how you promote...

Just asking... "inquiring minds" kinda thing... I'm sure somebody knows how the first the first four weeks are going to play out...

Comment

First off I wish it was over-the-air or at least on ESPN, it isn't, too bad. Locally I think they have to promote friendly 2-series rivalries and a large field of cars by open wheel standards. Advertising should feature clips of close wheel-to-wheel racing, even at other tracks. This is area with people from Latin and South American countries, they should play heavily on that. They should bring in all the "players" of the past, Mario, Dan Gurney, Paul Newman if he will come and others, and promote that heavily. Promote Helio and Julianne, and start to heavily promote that the Wednesday before the race. Promote the Danica swimsuit layout, put her on TV on the beach, roll a car out there with her... I like the 2-1 deal that Milwaukee has... They need to run the 2-seater up and down South Beach, Danica driving.

What they can't do is what they always have, say "here's are race, come watch."

Believe me, I know how apathitic the local papers are down there. When I was living in Florida and they were having the first CART race at HMS, I went to an out-of-town newsstand and bought the Miami Harald for three days, I wasted my money, there was hardly a mention. They should buy so much print advertising that they will FORCE the papers to cover the first unified race in 12 years.
      As for network promotion, hammer it like never before, buy time if needed. Schedule a re-air later in the week, and make sure everyone knows when it will be shown.
      It's always been about the Indy 500!
      I realize I have the right to remain silent, but don't have the ability or enough common sense to do so.:rolleyes:

Comment

...Indycar.com has all kinds of videos related to the drivers and even some celebrities in their multimedia section. Some of these spread out over the next three weeks in prime-time advertising spots on both ABC & ESPN networks.

Get the drivers making the rounds on ABC programs such as Good Morning America etc., and plan functions such as charitable dinners, parties & autograph session's. With of course inviting all the local and national media sources. Get the drivers in the local news with stories and/or interviews. Have the IRL Indy Experience making appearances all over southern Florida also with driver meet & greet sessions. Hype the start of the season and the rest of what is supposed to be a rebirth of open-wheel racing this season.
        ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Originally posted by use2know
          A quick question... Does the unified field show up at Homestead... or does it show up after the "twin" weekend of Motegi/Long Beach at Kansas... or a little of both...? It might make a difference in what/how you promote...

Just asking... "inquiring minds" kinda thing... I'm sure somebody knows how the first the first four weeks are going to play out...
          The race is three weeks away so it would seem hard for all the new teams to make it - but - starting the season with zero points would seem to be a tough way to get in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by use2know

...in order to qualify for and recieve the $1.2 million dollar TEAM incentive from the ICS doesn't a team have to participate in all events?
            ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

It certainly will be interesting for sure.

Around half the field will be "feeling" their way around the track. Add Milka, Marty Roth, IV and Sarah to the mix and this could be a high-lite film for the rest of the season.
              Last edited by Indyknut; 03-04-2008, 06:53 AM.
              Trump, he's one of the nicest, most decent human beings possibly ever to walk the planet..

Comment

..in order to qualify for and recieve the $1.2 million dollar TEAM incentive from the ICS doesn't a team have to participate in all events?
                I believe the IRL said that CC teams that had difficulty making the first few events would not be penalized (1.2 million program). They would receive the same cash pay out for the remaining races, just as if they had attended the ones they missed.
                Tara was the name of our cat.

Comment

there are 23 cars/driver combinations currently up on the INDYCar web site....I'd venture a guess that at least all of those will be at Homestead.....I'm going to be there and anyone on this board who's in need of some warm weather in late March should consider attending....... :kk
                  the man in expensive shoes

Comment

Originally posted by Indyknut
                    It certainly will be interesting for sure.

Around half the field will be "feeling" their way around the track. Add Milka, Marty Roth, IV and Sarah to the mix and this could be a high-lite film for the rest of the season.
                    are you forecasting a bull market in Dallara replacement parts?........
                    Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

I don't think Sarah or Schekter will be at Homestead.

Comment

I know it is unlikely, but I am going to keep beating this drum. The Homestead round of the ICS is not run opposite a Sprint Cup race. They are in Martinsville the following day. I think any team with an available car should be working the phones to get one or more of the Sprint Cup regulars in their car for this race, and any other race that can be worked out. The free media will cover NASCAR drivers at a level that IndyCar drivers do not attract. The added spotlight on the racing will be advantageous. Plus, having known drivers say "that was fun", or "these guys are really good," would add credibility that having IndyCar drivers in NASCAR hasn't. JMO.
                        Mess with me and you mess with the whole trailer park.

Comment

Originally posted by Gateway Fan
                          I know it is unlikely, but I am going to keep beating this drum. The Homestead round of the ICS is not run opposite a Sprint Cup race. They are in Martinsville the following day. I think any team with an available car should be working the phones to get one or more of the Sprint Cup regulars in their car for this race, and any other race that can be worked out. The free media will cover NASCAR drivers at a level that IndyCar drivers do not attract. The added spotlight on the racing will be advantageous. Plus, having known drivers say "that was fun", or "these guys are really good," would add credibility that having IndyCar drivers in NASCAR hasn't. JMO.
                          20 years ago, this might be a possibility. But in today's world, there is no way a Toyota, Chevy, Ford or Dodge driver in Sprint Cup is going to be allowed to race a Honda in the IRL. I just don't think their contracts/sponsors would allow it.

Comment

Wait-a-minuit........

Danica, driving the two seater, on the beach.... in a swim suit????????

I'll BE THERE!!!!!!!!!!

ZOOOM
                            "Doc, just set them fingers sose I can hold the wheel"
                            James Hurtubise, June, 1964

Comment

ESPN needs to consider developing a thirty minute qualifying show for re-run on Friday or Saturday nights after Indy (depending on the race day, Sat night or Sunday).

We're no longer in the 21 car era and this may be a link to re-building the audience across the board. John Kernan is available and doing radio in Chicago.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X