Bourdais: Merger is 'disaster for CC teams'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bourdais: Merger is 'disaster for CC teams'

Bourdais believes the late decision to unify and the reliance on IRL equipment will severely penalise the former Champ Car teams.

"We had all been waiting for it for a long time, but obviously didn't expect it 30 days before the start of a season," he told reporters after F1 testing at Jerez.

"It's not a merger, it's the death of Champ Car and the IRL taking over - the schedules, cars, everything. It's the cars (the IRL teams) have been running around with for five years, so what are the Champ Car teams going to be able to do? Nothing.

"They had no time to prepare over the winter, because the winter is over. It's a disaster for Champ Car teams, obviously."

Bourdais said Newman/Haas' trips to the Indianapolis 500 in 2004 and 2005 demonstrated the scale of the task facing the IRL newcomers.

"The cars are really, really, really hard to develop. It's all tiny little things, especially on ovals," he said.

"In year one Bruno (Junqueira) my teammate, not knowing the car, was on the first row. We made a few developments over the year but obviously not much because it wasn't our car.

"We showed up the next year and were 14th/15th, 2.5-3mph off the pace. Yes, we had great race car - we were running in the top five towards the end, I had a cut tyre and I crashed on the last lap, but we were in the mix in the race.

"But in one year they had gained 3mph, so over five years you can imagine what has happened.

"Even if they start working on the cars now, the season's going to be over by the time they start to be half-competitive."

The Frenchman believes the only hope for the Champ Car teams is if the IRL rapidly adopts a new technical package.

"Hopefully they will change the cars quite quickly because otherwise it's going to be a slow death for all the teams that try and make (the switch) happen," Bourdais said.

"How do you find sponsors when you're running at the back? It doesn't matter if you're Newman/Haas or anybody else.

"Newman/Haas is going to get it figured out somehow, but when you look at how badly Andretti-Green struggled for two years to get to Penske and Ganassi's level - and that was with their resources and four cars - I think it's a bit more complicated than people seem to think. It's horrible.

"I'm even more convinced it (F1) was the right thing for me to do. I would not have been a contender in any way this year (in IndyCar)."
    link

Who gives a crap what that guy thinks? :withstupi

Enjoy slogging around in the back of the pack See-Bass. You are irrelevent here.
    IRL 2009: "Cars you can't see, driven by drivers you have never heard of, on a network you don't get"

"I'd hire your grandmother, if she brought a budget"- Bankrupt Indy Car team owner Tyler Tadevic, to Curt Cavin in December, on the tough standards he looks for when "hiring" driver talent.

Comment

:mercy:

Comment

Bourdais is probably happy he's not in a merged series, because he definitely wouldn't be a 20+ race winner and 3 time champion if they merged a few years ago.
        "Ninety-two years ago [the Indy 500] was probably like any other race," said 2005 winner Dan Wheldon. "But over time it's just created so many storylines and history for people of our generation that now it's just massive. People value that history and tradition and you just can't take that away."

Comment

Sad that he had to even comment, I guess somebody asked. It didn't matter, the CCWS wasn't going to answer the bell, that's pretty obvious now.
          It's always been about the Indy 500!
          I realize I have the right to remain silent, but don't have the ability or enough common sense to do so.:rolleyes:

Comment

Does anyone disagree with what he actually said (not the short qoute in the headline)? He basically said that it was going to be very difficult for champ car teams to transition on short notice; that they will probably not be competitive for a while; and that it would have been better if the decision had been made earlier.

Comment

"I'm even more convinced it (F1) was the right thing for me to do. I would not have been a contender in any way this year (in IndyCar)."
              I loved this quote. Mostly because that would almost indicate that he is going to be a contender in F-1. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't score a point this year let alone be a contender.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe in LA
                Does anyone disagree with what he actually said (not the short qoute in the headline)? He basically said that it was going to be very difficult for champ car teams to transition on short notice; that they will probably not be competitive for a while; and that it would have been better if the decision had been made earlier.
                You're right, Joe. However, too many folks are busy shooting the messenger to actually give any thought to the message.

Bourdais is right on with his comments re this merger. A merger that reeks of desperation.
                "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Originally posted by Joe in LA
                  Does anyone disagree with what he actually said (not the shortened qoute in the headline)? He basically said that it was going to be very difficult for champ car teams to transition on short notice; that they will probably not be competitive for a while; and that it would have been better if the decision had been made earlier.

Well, his implication is that CC should not have merged this close to the beginning of the season - which means that once a certain date had passed, say December 1, 2007, then CC should have gone ahead and put on a half-baked season and then merged next fall. That's a dandy idea except:

1. It would have cost KK and GF millions
                  2. Another year of lousy TV would have driven even more potential sponsors and fans away
                  3. CC teams would have joined the ICS for '09 and only been able to use the Dallara-Hondas for 1 season before dumping them for the next formula
                  4. The ex-CC teams would have been even farther behind

Comment

You need to widen the scope of your magic binoculars, Jim.

Another year would have cost TG many more millions too.

As it is, this year is costing TG many more millions (TEAMS support for everyone, chassis and engines for the CC folks) and whatever he paid to the CCWS series owners.

Speaking of TG's TEAMS program, it can only be viewed now as a failure. It failed, on its own, to attract even one new team.

The IRL was looking at starting the season with something like 16 cars.

Like I said, this is a merger that reeks of desperation from all directions and looks like what it is. A hastily thrown together, last-ditch deal.
                    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw
                      I loved this quote. Mostly because that would almost indicate that he is going to be a contender in F-1. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't score a point this year let alone be a contender.
                      I would say the quote indicates that being a backmarker in F1 is better than spending a frustrating year in US OW.

jono

Comment

Originally posted by Spike
                        You're right, Joe. However, too many folks are busy shooting the messenger to actually give any thought to the message.

Bourdais is right on with his comments re this merger. A merger that reeks of desperation.

I take it [by your endless negativity] that you are not onboard with this ''merged'' series?

Why do you bother with us anymore?
                        ...the spice must flow.....

Comment

What does he mean that AGR struggled? They struggled the first year because Toyota was significantly better than the Honda. Come 2004, that switched and AGR dominated with TK. In the meantime, AGR got "lazy" and Penske and Ganassi ate their lunch when they got Honda engines. AGR certainly didn't "struggle for two years" to get to Penske and Ganassi's level.
                          --Paul Dalbey
                          (the poster formerly known as 'pdalbey')

Different men, from vastly different backgrounds, focused on the same goal – a white line painted on a yard of brick 500 miles ahead.

http://Fieldof33.com

Comment

I liked this part: "...look at how badly Andretti-Green struggled for two years to get to Penske and Ganassi's level - and that was with their resources and four cars"

Uh, in 2003 (AGR's first year in the IRL) Kanaan was on the pole at Miami and won the next race at Phoenix. A pole and a victory in their first two races, some struggles.
                            Life's a reach, and then you jibe.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike
                              YSpeaking of TG's TEAMS program, it can only be viewed now as a failure. It failed, on its own, to attract even one new team.
                              Are you a stuggling comic or something cause the above is a pretty bad joke. The TEAM program likely was the nail in the Champ Car coffin and KK knew it.
                              "There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt." John Adams 1826
                              Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
                              www.fairtax.org

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X