Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forsythe may not be completely out

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65369

Forsythe's vice-president of operations Neil Micklewright said that the IndyCar Series' less-restrictive rules meant that the team would have required a larger budget than than if Champ Car had continued.

But he did not rule out a return in 2009 if funding could be found.

"With the IndyCar rules being so much more open, for things like damper investment, flanged wheels and wind tunnel time, we'd have been running around at the back unless we'd have spent a hell of a lot more money. Without sponsorship, that wasn't going to happen," Micklewright told speedtv.com.

"I'm going to try and keep a core group going so that we might try and run IndyCars in 2009 - I believe that is still a possibility. But again it's dependent on sponsorship."
    Trump, he's one of the nicest, most decent human beings possibly ever to walk the planet..

They've had support from Indeck for many years. Hopefully, the head of that company will reconsider his decision.

Comment

Other than a PR line to not sound like sour grapes, I don't believe you will see them again in Indycar.

IF Gerry comes back to racing it will be somewhere else like ALMS.

There's too much angst. IMO.

Shame too, as they had some great years. I have a few Player's-Forsythe hats from the Greg Moore days.
      And don't forget the heat!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
        They've had support from Indeck for many years. Hopefully, the head of that company will reconsider his decision.
        LOL.

Maybe unification will also bring back other great motorsport sponsors, like "Jimmy" and "Ryan".

jono

Comment

Didn't we hear this about a second car about this time a year ago?
          "The lunatic fringes on both sides need to be written off." -- stnky pete

Comment

I think Gerry selling the team to someone and Mickelwright running it, is much more likely.

We will never see Gerry in another Indy-style race.
            IRL 2009: "Cars you can't see, driven by drivers you have never heard of, on a network you don't get"

"I'd hire your grandmother, if she brought a budget"- Bankrupt Indy Car team owner Tyler Tadevic, to Curt Cavin in December, on the tough standards he looks for when "hiring" driver talent.

Comment

Originally posted by jonovision_man
              LOL.

Maybe unification will also bring back other great motorsport sponsors, like "Jimmy" and "Ryan".

jono
              Don't forget "Vision" and "Car-Melo"
              If you break a vase and then glue it back together and the vase loses it's value, you do not get credit for fixing it. You get the blame for damaging it....

Comment

A surfeit of sponsorship opportunities really.

jono

Comment

There's also another purely interweb forum rumor saying Gerra might still run one or two at the Speedway this yr., which frankly makes no sense to me.*

At any rate, I've given up reading the man's mind. He'll do whatever he decides is best, at that time.

*Don't believe it for a second. I don't think anyone else does, either. Just a forum rumor, nothing more.
                  "Why do we do this? Because we love it, don't want to be anywhere else but a race car. We will keep your legacy my friend. Racers race."

Tony Kanaan

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Hendricks
                    I think Gerry selling the team to someone and Mickelwright running it, is much more likely.

What kind of $ resources does NeMick have though? I realize he's not struggling to get by, but enough to competently run and own a team?
                    "Why do we do this? Because we love it, don't want to be anywhere else but a race car. We will keep your legacy my friend. Racers race."

Tony Kanaan

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Hendricks

They've got a good team there. You'd think somebody (Petit) could buy it and keep it together. It sure would be easier than building a competitive team from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by speedmonkey
                        They've got a good team there. You'd think somebody (Petit) could buy it and keep it together. It sure would be easier than building a competitive team from scratch.
                        Maybe they'd sell it to Ron Hemelgarn, and he would run 2 American drivers.

Nah, we don't need no stinkin' American drivers.

We have Pablo Picasso coming from the American short-tracks to save the day for Foyt Racing.
                        IRL 2009: "Cars you can't see, driven by drivers you have never heard of, on a network you don't get"

"I'd hire your grandmother, if she brought a budget"- Bankrupt Indy Car team owner Tyler Tadevic, to Curt Cavin in December, on the tough standards he looks for when "hiring" driver talent.

Comment

But he did not rule out a return in 2009 if funding could be found.
                          It would be more fun to just list the teams that would run in 2009 if the above were true for them.
                          "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                          "They're criminals"
                          "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Originally posted by speedmonkey
                            That's what I'd think.
                            Trump, he's one of the nicest, most decent human beings possibly ever to walk the planet..

Comment

We don't know what commotion or temperament occurred among The Amigos during these goings-on. My guess is quite a bit. But Forsythe is unpredictable and non-communicative (unless he's issuing a tirade against the Canadian government for blowing away his Player's deal). He may show, he may not show, he may sell the team, he might plant flowers in the cockpits and sit 'em on the lawn outside Indeck. And we won't know until he does any of 'em.
                              "The lunatic fringes on both sides need to be written off." -- stnky pete

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X