Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprint Nextel Qly Ugly

From the Street.com

Sprint Nextel swung to a fourth-quarter loss Thursday after a massive writedown, sending shares down more than 10% in early trading.

The communications heavyweight posted a fourth-quarter loss of $29.5 billion, or $10.36 cents a share, compared with earnings of $261 million, or 29 cents a share, from a year ago. The hefty loss came after the company wrote down much of the remaining value of its acquisition of Nextel from 2005.

Excluding amortization costs totaling $29.7 billion, Sprint would have earned 21 cents a share during the quarter, topping Wall Street's estimate of 18 cents a share.

However, Sprint said net operating revenue declined to 6% from a year ago to $9.8 billion as the company failed to stem customer attrition. Analysts forecast revenue of $9.9 billion, according to Thomson First Call.

"The issues we face are more difficult than what I expected to find," said CEO Dan Hesse, who took over the position late last year, during the company's conference call. "We will have a difficult 2008 as we turn this ship around. This turnaround will not happen for many quarters."
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
    body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
    "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
    >

not a good sign when you have falling sales...there is still much worldwide growth in the industry.

It's funny, personally when I have watched nazcar, I have sensed more brand awareness retention from the "Chad" Alltel commercials more so than Sprint. That's a very unscientific opinion!

Comment

I have Chad in my circle

I'm in NC and Alltel has good coverage in the rural areas of NC. I'm quite pleased with it. I live and work in a fairly high populated area, but will drive into not so populated areas and I get good coverage.

I really wish Alltel would advertise in Indy Car, but they don't have their own coverage in Indiana, so I doubt it will happen (unless they get coverage in Indiana).
      Tara was the name of our cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Tara
        I have Chad in my circle

I'm in NC and Alltel has good coverage in the rural areas of NC. I'm quite pleased with it. I live and work in a fairly high populated area, but will drive into not so populated areas and I get good coverage.

I really wish Alltel would advertise in Indy Car, but they don't have their own coverage in Indiana, so I doubt it will happen (unless they get coverage in Indiana).
        I had the same experience when I lived in NW Wisconsin. Verizon was my carrier, but the signal was poor and I switched to Alltel. Same town, much better reception. I've kept them even though I live in Milwaukee now.
        It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

Originally posted by midtown
          I had the same experience when I lived in NW Wisconsin. Verizon was my carrier, but the signal was poor and I switched to Alltel. Same town, much better reception. I've kept them even though I live in Milwaukee now.
          Love Stallis! Grew up there, parents still live there, I have us cellular, other than 1 low spot on national ave which I lose calls EVERY time, I have been impressed with their coverage. I have several friends who have nextel sprint for their work. THEY HATE IT.

Comment

I'm in the process of tossing Sprint and picking up AT&T. Sprint contract expires in 3 weeks, and I've always had AT&T with my business. The wife did a sprint thing initially, just to have a phone in case of emergency. Prices went through the roof, with a total lack of customer service.
            ...Always follow the money

Comment

Sorry my bad...........

OK I have to admit it my company is partly to blame as we dropped Nextel as our USA wireless provider late last year. Comes out to about $120,000 per month drop in revenue for Nextel.
              I hate it when people compare Senna with god . . . I mean he is okay, but come on he isn't Senna. . .

Comment

Oh and don't get me wrong. When I say Alltel doesn't have its own coverage in Indiana, that does not mean I can't use my phone their. I do have their National Plan and they have coverage Nation wide.

I also like their "My Circle". I have 10 numbers that I don't get charged minutes against. Since those are the numbers I usually receive or make calls to, I don't even get close to going over on minutes.

Only problem some might find is its CDMA not GSM. If you go overseas (most places) it won't work. But I don't use my phone overseas anyway, too expensive. When I had Cingular (now AT&T) I had an unlocked GSM phone that I bought SIM cards for in the country (Philippines, Sweden,..etc.) that I was in, much cheaper.

I like Alltel.
                Tara was the name of our cat.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X