Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe Auto Club Speedway not an option

from jayski

California considering reconfiguring to a restrictor-plate track: The Fontana [Auto Club (formerly California) Speedway] facility needs to do something to change its image. Rebuilding the racing surface to make it a new version of Talladega or Daytona would brings loads of attention and far better action on the track. Of course, there are some issues, like money. We're talking millions of dollars to reconfigure the racetrack. Texas Motor Speedway rebuilt its 1.5-mile oval in 1998 at a cost of $3 million. The cost of this project would double that amount, at least. The price tag to do it might be as high as $10 million. Not cheap, but goodness knows ISC can afford it. And Fontana officials may need to rebuild the turns anyway because of the water seepage issues that caused problems last weekend. But plate racing is NASCAR's version of torture for many drivers. They hate racing in large packs inches apart with little throttle response from the choked-down engines. However, it is exciting to watch, which is why many fans can't wait to see every plate event. Tell the people in Southern California they have the modern version of Talladega and you have something to sell. Auto Club Speedway, which hasn't managed to sell out its two Cup races, needs a dramatic change. There's nothing more dramatic in NASCAR than restrictor-plate racing.(see full story and quotes by Michael Waltrip at ESPN.com)
    This would shut the ICS out, the equivalant of closing PPIR or Nazareth, not going to run the IndyCars on a track that highly banked, G forces and speed. Despite what some wish to believe I think TG is in the loop about what ISC has in the works. And would explain why after leaving the track and pre unificaton, they were looking at Dodger Stadium as poor a race as that would have been, it might have been their only long term Southern California option.
    "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
    "They're criminals"
    "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Well i expect that LongBeach will have a proper unified race in 09 so that kind of fixes that problem.

Comment

A track that can't sell out for NASCAR shouldn't be very high on TG's list if in fact they are only racing 10 ovals

Comment

Truthfully I don't think that most ISC tracks really care about the Indycar series. They certainly don't promote it. They put all their eggs in NASCAR's basket because that is the parent company. Sorry but those wishing for Fontana, Pheonix, or MIS will be sorely disappointed.
        Skypigeon "If you're not on the bus, don't whine about the direction it's going."

Comment

Plate racing sucks canal water.

Please don't change California

Comment

I think you are exactly right stickman. That's why I think TG should stick with KY, Iowa & Nashville. These tracks will probably never get Nextel Cup dates so they need the ICS as much as the ICS needs them. So you know you have a chance to be their #1 event year in and year out. The tracks and the series can grow together.
            Last edited by boomer; 02-27-2008, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Southern California is a fickle place. How many NFL teams have they had that they lost because they couldn't\wouldn't support it.

I would love for the IRL to be at Fontana but if the locals won't support it there is no reason to be there. I still think Michigan could have a place.

Comment

Originally posted by The Stickman
                Truthfully I don't think that most ISC tracks really care about the Indycar series. They certainly don't promote it. They put all their eggs in NASCAR's basket because that is the parent company. Sorry but those wishing for Fontana, Pheonix, or MIS will be sorely disappointed.
                As someone who has been going to races at MIS since 1987 I can attest to that.

The difference between how the track handles a NASCAR weekend vs. and open wheel weekend is amazing.

Of course, that wasn't the case when Roger Penske owned the track.

Comment

No changes to Auto Club Speedway (yuk...it's Fontana) per update.

http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/cu...-so-cal-track/
                  BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester
                    No changes to Auto Club Speedway (yuk...it's Fontana) per update.

http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/cu...-so-cal-track/
                    sounds like it was just little gillian...getting a little overzealous.
                    i was once considered the second best white rapper in canada.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X