No announcement yet.

Let's remember our friends that have taken the checkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, TD. I first met Kenny at the Chili Bowl. The guy had a way of carrying the room, he was big and noticeable but humble and approachable at the same time.

Comment

In accordance with this thread I think it bears repeating the poem from Tony Renna's funeral.................

A master in the art of living
      draws no sharp distinction
      between his work and play,
      his labor and his leisure,
      his mind and his body,
      his education and his recreation.
      He hardly knows which is which.
      He simply pursues his vision
      of excellence through whatever
      he is doing and leaves
      others to determine
      whether he is working or playing.
      To himself he always seems
      to be doing both.

Comment

Originally posted by rev-ed
        My condolences, roadracer. And to everyone else too. It was a rough year here at TF. Let's be thankful for the acquaintances this board and others have brought into our lives. And instead of simply mourning our loss, let us also celebrate their lives.
        This says it all.

One of these days, I'm going to stop finding excuses not to meet some of you people before it's too late.
        "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
        --Danny Noonan

Comment

Originally posted by skypigeon
          This says it all.

One of these days, I'm going to stop finding excuses not to meet some of you people before it's too late.
          I have 3 good friends that I met through Track Forum. If any of you Track Forumites have any occasion to be up here in Boston, let me know. Love to meet you and show you around.

Merry Christmas.

Comment

Godspeed to all that left us!!!!

Comment

Excellant post TD

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
              I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

Last Christmas day (2004) we lost Sprint Car Hall of Famer Jay Woodside.

We lost the very first Indy Rookie of the Year, Art Cross and his wife Margaret this year, about 6 weeks apart.

And we just lost Ray Nichels about a month ago.

In 1957 Ray was the chief mechanic on Cotton Owens pole winning Dodge for the Daytona Beach race. Three months later he was chief mechanic on Pat O'Conners pole winning car for the Indy 500. Only guy to do this in the same year, maybe ever, I haven't researched this thought.

Another great story Ray told me in my first meeting with him: He and Paul Russo were partners and built 'Basement Bessie' in Russo's basement. They barely got the car ready for qualifying but made the 500 field. Looking to celebrate a little, they could only come up with $3.56 between them for their party. They went to a liquor store where Paul knew the owner and while he was busy tending business, Ray and Paul opened a bottle of whiskey and started drinking it. After the owner realized what was going on he told them they'd have to pay for it. They told him they had no money so they all finished the first bottle and then took on another one!

With the multi-million dollar corporations of today at Indy, these types of stories are unbelievable!!
                RacerRich

Good judgement comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgement.

Comment

Jerry Oberle from Panther
                  Great guy... definitely miss seeing him at the track
                  -Amanda
                  The REAL #1 Scott Dixon Fan..... Don't believe me?.. ask Scott himself.
                  My Photographic work... oh and some crappy graphic art..
                  http://wrapmehinribbons.deviantart.com/

Comment

Steve Hardin photo

Kevin Doty - 1994 BMARA (Badger Midget Auto Racing Association) midget champion and winner of many USAC Midget and sprint car features.

Gene Besecker - USAC Sprint car owner. Johnny Rutherford, Bob Pratt, Duke Cook, Bill Koepfer among others drove for him.

Comment

Keep 'em coming folks...
                      "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

Rev, how about Don Townsend? 70 years old, still out there racing a sprint car on pavement at Mansfield when a practice crash took him from us too soon. Yes, too soon.

I do feel that how we live and how we die matters a lot. And to meet your Maker in a race car at age 70 seems to me an uplifting way, believe it or not, to make one's exit from this stage of life.

Don and guys like him race for themselves, but they race for many of us too.

Comment

Originally posted by aXe View Post
                          Just where would we have been with out those others going with us????
                          aXe
                          RIP race fan. Sorry we missed you
                          "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
                          ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

Originally posted by Turn13 View Post

RIP race fan. Sorry we missed you
                            What is the story with aXe Turn13? I used to catch up with him by email every so often but lost contact with him.

Comment

Not sure, I got the news from Niseguy: https://www.trackforum.org/forum/com...e3#post6680181
                              "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
                              ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

Originally posted by Turn13 View Post
                                Not sure, I got the news from Niseguy: https://www.trackforum.org/forum/com...e3#post6680181
                                Strangest thing. A few days after your reply, an email from the address I used to use to contact him on turned up in my spam folder.

My ISP had flagged it as a potential fishing email and neutralised the yahoo link it contained. I haven't clicked on it of course, but it just makes me wonder.

It's a weird coincidence.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X