98th Annual Evansville Nut Club Festival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98th Annual Evansville Nut Club Festival

I'm going to head to my first Evansville (Indiana) Nut Club Festival tonight. It's absolutely jam-packed with all kinds of odd-ball food, such as:
    • Deep fried hog jowls
    • Brain sandwiches, which I've heard is fantastic
    • Crawfish etouffee
    • All manner of jerky like alligator, kangaroo, ostrich, and such
    • Sloppy Billy sandwiches, which I've heard is made from goat meat
    • Deer chili
    • Chicken livers
    • Deep fried Fat Elvis, whatever that is
    • Desserts like Unicorn Boogers
    • and more
    Money raised by the club goes to charity. Check out their "Muchie Map", which can be found here: http://www.nutclubfallfestival.com/f...od/munchie-map

mrs goner mentioned this event a few days ago.
    Please share your experience.

Comment

I'm hearing the Sloppy Billy sandwiches have been dropped from the menu due to the goat being re-purposed.
      "Loyalty to petrified opinions never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul in this world — and never will." Mark Twain

Comment

Oh yeah?
        I’m hearing Arnie Gilderstern’s legendary white oak tree was heavy damaged by lightning in the big storm this spring.
        He is flying his flag at half mast.

Comment

Originally posted by goner View Post
          mrs goner mentioned this event a few days ago.
          Please share your experience.
          Well, I went last night. For a Wednesday night, the place was packed with thousands of people; wall-to-wall people. Food booths lined nearly both sides of a five-block, divided four lane city street. So many food options, more than was listed on the Munchie Map. I wound up eating:
          • Deep fried Klondike bar. Was cooked to order and the center was still cold. This was a diabetic's nightmare.
          • Deep fried Sausage Kraut balls with brown mustard. I'm of German heritage, so had to try them. Pretty good if you like sauerkraut.
          • Deep fried Fat Elvis. Like I suspected, it was a banana coated in peanut butter, wrapped in dough, then deep fried. Made to order. More diabetic's nightmare.
          • Crawfish etoufee with sriracha sauce glaze. So good.
          • The most tender, oversized, ribeye steak sandwich on butter toasted roll I have ever had. University of Southern Indiana Varsity Club's booth. Was only $6!!
          • Tried some deep-fried Mac-and-Cheese. Didn't care for that.
          Would have tried the cheeseburger on donut buns if my sugar intake hadn't been so high already.

Had to park about four blocks away at a CVS.

Comment

Thanks for the report. Sounds like good fun.

Is the Nut Club the people or did this start out as a celebration for nut growers?

(I know my earlier post wasn’t a well constructed joke about a nut crop but, nuttin’ from the peanut gallery? )

Comment

The Nut Club was started by a few west-side businessmen. Today, the West Side Nut Club's primary goal is to help non-profits and charities. Many, many of the food booths were such organizations.

Comment

Thanks,

Comment

I think we all suspected that the Deep Fried Fat Elvis was a deep fried Peanut Butter & Banana sumpthin'.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
                  I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X