Late night at the L.A. Coliseum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late night at the L.A. Coliseum

Damn good game. Hopefully, they already have the name Reggie Bush engraved into the heisman trophy. He is the real deal.

Definitely worth staying up for. I don't think USC is as powerful as last year, but they sure find a way to win. I never thought a team could have such a dynasty in this day and age.

As far as the Heisman, most of the oddsmakers had Vince Young as a pretty heavy favorite going into today. Bush had a big night, but I wonder how many non-West Coast voters were watching so late at night.

Comment

Reggie is something else. I give props to Fresno st. for hanging tough.. for a while against a powerful team.

I think the Heisman race is close this year. Then again, it lost alot of its luster when they gave it to a qb that had more interceptions than touchdowns.

To me, i don't know if it will ever recover from those politics.

Tj
      Sam Hornish Jr. 2006 Indianapolis 500 and IRL Champion. :D

Comment

Tj, to me it has no luster until they give it to a non-primadonna.
        Center Grove Trojans
        2008 5A Football State Champs
        2015 6A Football State Champs
        2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
        2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

I hope UCLA leaves the Trojans in ruins.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector

I hear ya TD....but i think part of that has to be laid at the media's feet.

Another part of it is, they are kids and will eat up the spotlight.

We are talking about 18-19-20 year old kids here.. and i mean no disrespect when i call them kids.. but they are still kids.

It's a shame really.. the Heisman used to mean something.

Now......

Tj

Comment

Vince Young is an impressive physical talent, and has put up some staggering numbers, but the "Big 12" is really down this year. UT's one real test was against OSU and they did win (in Columbus) but not by much. IMO, it is difficult to tell just how good Texas really is. A nice Rose Bowl against USC should provide that test.

Are the Heisman ballots due before or after the Bowls?

Comment

The ballots are due on December 6th, before any bowl games.

Comment

It's still got to go to Young. He's been THE guy for UT.

Comment

The Rose bowl is after the the heisman selection.

As far as numbers go, Matt Leinarts numbers are better than they were last year when he won it.

Jmo.. its down to Leinart, Bush and Young. With an outside shot Quinn.

If i had a vote... it's a tough choice as Young & Leinart have been money for their teams all year, but i'd say Young.

No bad choice out of those 3.

Just don't give to a qb that can't throw.

Tj

Comment

Don't underestimate the power of Notre Dame.

I'd vote for Bush.
                      Center Grove Trojans
                      2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

Don't underestimate the power of Notre Dame.

I'd vote for Bush.
                        Brady isn't going to win it this year. Too much competition on undefeated teams. No question I'd vote for Bush. He is one of the best college players that I have ever seen.

Comment

I wouldn't call Lienart, Bush, or Young a prima donna.

Vince Young is an impressive physical talent, and has put up some staggering numbers, but the "Big 12" is really down this year. UT's one real test was against OSU and they did win (in Columbus) but not by much
                          Big XII and PAC-10 are both down this year. I don't think you can call either schedule obviously weaker. USC is definitely finishing with stronger teams, but OTOH they still haven't played a top 25 defense.

I just wish there would be some more objectivity from Texas and USC fans both on the Heisman. USC guys love to say that Vince is inflating his stats when UT runs up the score on the opposition. Never mind that only 7% of Vince's yards have come in the 4th quarter.

And then Texas fans love to compare total offense yardage, but you really can't compare passing+running to receiving+running when receiving is just a fraction of the total passing yardage, so it's totaly unfair to Bush being a RB, he'll never get as many touches as Vince does just because of his position. Same thing for "His team would miss him more if he were lost." That's usually true of a QB unless he's got a highly-touted backup who would be starting for 90% of 1A schools.

And then USC fans counter with Bush's "all-purpose yardage" which is similarly an unfair proposition. Of course no QB is going to be risked returning punts or kicks, not to mention that when your defense allows 42 points, your KR would probably rack up over 100 yards on returns even if he gets tackled by the first man every time. Texas actually has a player averaging more yards per punt return than Bush, and another averaging more on kick returns.

Reggie had the one spectacular punt return that will be on sportscenter all year long, but his average isn't that impressive. But on offense there's no doubt he's an incredible player.

It's pretty much impossible to tell who is truely the better football player from the stats, and then you add in immeasurables that won't go into the Heisman. Vince obviously won't get any love for tackling a defender on an INT return, but making those plays saves touchdowns where most QBs wouldn't have stopped the guy, which can save a game. I haven't payed close attention to a USC game to watch Bush's pass blocking, but even if he's excellent at it, nobody will give him any Heisman points for it. Nevertheless, an RB's pass blocking can be the difference between a completed long bomb and your QB fumbling the ball away.
                          Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the Keenest of them all?

Comment

Originally posted by JSR
                            He is one of the best college players that I have ever seen.
                            Me too. He's the best college back I've watched since Marshall Faulk.

This is a 2 horse race. Young vs. Bush. Leinart has good numbers, but he isn't a realistic selection because of the fatigue factor, plus Bush's 513 yard performance on Saturday guarantees that nearly every ballot has Bush ahead of Leinart. Last year's winner will finish third, and Quinn will finish fourth. I think #3 and #4 are as close to locks as it can be at this point. The real suspense is who will be the fifth guy invited to NYC.

I think Bush is a slight favorite right now, but Young has two more games on 100% national TV. He has the stage to himself on Friday against A&M, then again in the Big XII championship game on Dec. 3. If he excels in both games, and Bush is ordinary against UCLA (also on the third), Young could still take it.

Young has to play well on Friday though to make Dec. 3 matter though.

Comment

Originally posted by StatMan
                              I wouldn't call Lienart, Bush, or Young a prima donna.

I do.

But then again I think every football player who touches the ball is a primadonna.

Except one...
                              Center Grove Trojans
                              2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X