No announcement yet.

Vanderbilt beats Tennessee in Neyland!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanderbilt beats Tennessee in Neyland!

Woohoo!

What an up and down season. My two favorite teams (Vandy and IU) started off hot (Vandy's wins weren't all cupcakes but unlike IU lost to Kentucky inexplicably) but then I went seemingly forever without celebrating another win.

Today, all the grief is forgotten and forgiven (I already can't remember what happened to IU against Purdon't) as the Dores went into Neyland stadium and beat the much hated Vols in front of 107,000 orange-clad fans. That hadn't happened in so long I went outside to check on the color of the moon.

Sweet. Very sweet.

Senior QB Jay Cutler will be a fine player on Sundays in the future.

And reciever Earl Bennet. Wow! And just a Freshman.
    Got to watch out for those Libertarians - they want to take over the government and leave everyone alone!

WOW!!!!
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector
      WOW!!!!
      WOW is right!!! I graduated from VU in '62, haven't lived in Nashville since mid-70's, so have somewhat lost interest in VU sports. But this is BIG, even with UT's poor record this year. There is going to be some serious gloating going on, has been a long, long time ('82 I believe).

Congrats to the Vanderbilt footbal team!

Comment

Great win for Vandy today! They very nearly had the Florida Gators beat in "The Swamp" a few weeks ago as well. But a bogus excessive celebration call ended any chance for Lionel Richie and the Commodores to get their first win at Florida since 1945.

Now that Rutgers is bowl eligible, Vanderbilt has the longest streak without making a bowl game (Last time was 1982). Guess who's second? It's IU. No bowl since 1993.
        If I were Ed Carpenter and you were a lady...

Comment

Yep, that celebration call at Florida was very bogus. The official who called says he thinks he shouldn't have and wishes he didn't (his excuse was that he felt Earl Bennett imitated firing guns during his half second shimmy after his huge touchdown). The head of officials for the SEC says that it was absolutely the wrong call, because the section in the rulebook begins by saying that they WANT players to show enthusiasm and excitement after big plays as part of the college football experience! And that excessive celebration is only called if you TAUNT directly at an opposing player. Earl was dancing toward a fellow Vanderbilt player. Sucked since Vanderbilt was absolutely going for the two point conversion there and a possible win before that lame hose job. The consolation prize is that Vandy got a fairly officiated game in Knoxville today.

There is going to be some serious gloating going on, has been a long, long time ('82 I believe).
          Even longer. It did break a 22 year non-winning streak but the win over UT in 1982 was at home. At Knoxville hadn't happened for about a decade before that. It's been 32 years or so to win at Tennessee. Part of the sweetness is Tennessee has made some coaching staff changes to try to right the ship and with wins over Vandy and then Kentucky next week they'd have gone to a bowl so this win shuts the door on that deal.

Vanderbilt coach Bobby Johnson's voice was cracking as he described to reporters the celebration in the locker room. He has improved the program but they've had so many heartbreaking close losses in the last couple years and this is his first big win. He got his first SEC win on the road this year earlier against Arkansas. Laid huge eggs against Middle Tennesse State and Kentucky but STILL almost made a bowl. Coach was so happy his seniors are going out with a win against Tennessee after so many heartaches.
          Got to watch out for those Libertarians - they want to take over the government and leave everyone alone!

Comment

I listened to the wrap-up on my way home from Savage Gulf Saturday and darned near drove off the road, which can be quite hazardous on the plateau (Tennessee residents will understand .) Way to go, Black and Gold!

I have almost forgiven you now for beating my Hoosiers in the only IU hoops game I've ever gotten to see...almost.
            You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

obviously NascarRules hasn't seen this thread.
              www.dulcetroad.com

My Band's website!!!!

Comment

"Senior QB Jay Cutler will be a fine player on Sundays in the future."

Spencer County, IN REPRESENT!
                "Foyt's mere presence is a punch in the face, an inoculation against milquestoast corporatism. There wasn't a car anywhere anyhow anytime that Foyt wouldn't put the boot to, and there hasn't been a race devised he couldn't win."
                - Jeff MacGregor, Sunday Money

Comment

Cutler's stock is moving up:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nfl/index.html

Jay Cutler wowed scouts and NFL execs alike during a tremendous week of Senior Bowl practices. He had been so hot that some draft experts were saying he's a definite top-10 pick and could enter the Matt Leinart/Vince Young neighborhood. "There's growing sentiment that he might be taken ahead of Leinart and almost certainly ahead of Young," Jim Sabo of Ourlads' Scouting Services told The Post.
                  -- New York Post
                  "Foyt's mere presence is a punch in the face, an inoculation against milquestoast corporatism. There wasn't a car anywhere anyhow anytime that Foyt wouldn't put the boot to, and there hasn't been a race devised he couldn't win."

Comment

I'll continue the CutlerLove as long as he keeps Spencer County in the news:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...pat&id=2415795

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X