Walk the Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walk the Line

If you are looking for a good movie, go see this one. Joaquin Phoenix is Johnny Cash - just an amazing performance. Reese Witherspoon is darn good as June Carter too. Consider too that both actors performed the vocals & weren't dubbed.

Admittedly, I'm not a country music fan - but I never felt like Johnny Cash was just country. A very involving story, even when you know the outcome, and well worth first run admission!
    #BCForever

I've been watching the trailer for that one for a week. Can't wait, glad to hear it's as good as it looks.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Liz. This movie is on my list of must-sees.

Comment

Originally posted by Liz
        If you are looking for a good movie, go see this one. Joaquin Phoenix is Johnny Cash - just an amazing performance. Reese Witherspoon is darn good as June Carter too. Consider too that both actors performed the vocals & weren't dubbed.

Admittedly, I'm not a country music fan - but I never felt like Johnny Cash was just country. A very involving story, even when you know the outcome, and well worth first run admission!
        Well, he is in both the Country Music & Rock'n'Roll (and Songwriter's) Halls of Fame.

I saw the movie opening night, and might go see it again. I felt like it really needed to be longer to do the subject justice, but that is the only fault I can find with it. I was looking forward to seeing it since I saw the first ad for it (about a month in advance), and was not disappointed.

As an aside, I have never really thought Reese Witherspoon was all that attractive, but something about this movie changed my mind.
        One driver's "fuel strategy" is another driver's "speed up or we will park you!"

Comment

First movie I've been to see in a movie theater for a very long time. Like any movie based upon a true story, there was some embellishment, but all in all, very good. The performers were outstanding, I could really see Johnny singing those early songs, and that was really cool. My wife had no interest in seeing it, but she really loved it also.

Comment

That was one great movie. I didn't realize that Johnny's early career was so heavliy based on rock'n'roll. I now view Johnny Cash's music as more rock than country. T Bone Burnett produced music for the movie and he as also responsible for teaching Joaquin and Reese to sing Johnny and June style over a four month period. Even my 15 year old son, who is really into punk, enjoyed the music. (I'm trying to expand his musical horizons.)
            This coming Saturday, I will be seeing The Reverend Horton Heat here in Columbus, who has quite a bit of Johnny Cash influence in his music. I'll be taking my son to that too. Still trying to expand those horizons.

Comment

Terrific movie. And that's just part of his life story.

I heard an interview with Rick Rubin last week, who worked with Johnny in the studio for the last 10 years of his life. They put down some great tracks, and many previously unreleased songs are now out on "Unearthed". Sounds like a must-have.

Comment

Wish the movie had continued his life past the 1960's. Boy named Sue, etc.
                All rides are bought. But occasionally the currency is talent.

Comment

Originally posted by billf
                  That was one great movie. I didn't realize that Johnny's early career was so heavliy based on rock'n'roll. I now view Johnny Cash's music as more rock than country. T Bone Burnett produced music for the movie and he as also responsible for teaching Joaquin and Reese to sing Johnny and June style over a four month period. Even my 15 year old son, who is really into punk, enjoyed the music. (I'm trying to expand his musical horizons.)
                  This coming Saturday, I will be seeing The Reverend Horton Heat here in Columbus, who has quite a bit of Johnny Cash influence in his music. I'll be taking my son to that too. Still trying to expand those horizons.
                  The Rev has a new Christmas CD out - be sure and pick it up.

You can also hear him in the Boston Market commercials these days - "Eat Meat", and now some turkey jingle I hadn't heard before.

Have you been to a Rev show before? If your son is a punk rock kid, he will NOT be alone. Make sure he can get into the club though - Rev shows are usually at 18 or 21+ clubs.
                  "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Comment

Originally posted by ventman
                    Wish the movie had continued his life past the 1960's. Boy named Sue, etc.
                    "The beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for dessert."

Comment

"The beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for dessert."

From 'Sunday Morning Coming Down'...written by Kristofferson...in my opinion the greatest songwriter of the 20th century...

Comment

"Then I headed back for home
                        and somewhere far away a lonesome bell was ringin'
                        and it took me back to somethin
                        that I'd lost somehow, somewhere along the way"

Kris is one of the great ones. If you don't have it already, I'd recommend "Willie Sings Kristofferson". One of the best albums (yes, on vinyl) that I have.

Happy Holidays, Howard. Man we could have some arguments and listen to some music.

Comment

Hey, something else. In the scene where John and Waylon are hanging in an apartment, both looking strung out, that is Shooter Jennings as Waylon. Waylon's son.

Any mention of Waylon Jennings always reminds me of an epiphany of about 2 years ago, when I discovered "Lonesome, On'ry, and Mean" the album on which he broke away from the Nashville system. His best work, imo.

These guys, Johnny, Waylon, Kris, and Willie, are giants. Maybe we'll get movies this good about all of them one day.

Comment

I read on the internet (so it must be true) that Kristoferson delievered "Sunday Morning" to Johnny's front yard in a national guard helicopter. I'd never heard that one, anybody else?

Comment

Originally posted by turnrightgoleft
                              I read on the internet (so it must be true) that Kristoferson delievered "Sunday Morning" to Johnny's front yard in a national guard helicopter. I'd never heard that one, anybody else?
                              I read the same account many years ago in a book about Cash.

Kristoferson was a helicopter pilot during the Vietnam war. On reserve or national guard duty he took his training flight to Cash's hilltop home and delivered his music to Johnny and June while they were having Sunday breakfast. The quotes were along the line of: June Carter Cash, "John, come here quick, some crazy fool is landing a helicopter in our front yard". Apparently, Kristoferson had previously sent his music, to Cash, through agents and had not received any response. Guess the direct, person to person approach worked.
                              "There is no substitute for victory." - General Douglas MacArthur

"I love long walks; especially when taken by those who annoy me."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/impact

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X