Suicide By Diet Coke... Averted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suicide By Diet Coke... Averted

It's a good thing I'm not much of a beer drinker because I must have the adiction gene.

Ever since I was in the Air Force I've been adicted to Coca-Cola... drank way too many... probably a 6 pak per day. Then a couple years ago I made the switch to Diet Coke and things got worse. Not concerned about the calories I started drinking a Diet Coke every time I was thirsty.

Then about 6 months ago I started feeling sort of achy, didn't know what it was but just assumed that it was that I was just getting older... I had fallen off a 40 foot cliff when I was 11 out in Wyoming and had a serious motorcycle accident when I was still in my 20s so I figured it was just my past catching up to me.

Then about two months ago it got much worse. I felt a pain in my gut that seem to move around... some days I thought something was wrong with my bladder, my bowels and everywhere I had tramatic arthritis seemed to get worse. I ignored it partly because I'm a guy and partly because I was afraid of what it might be. However about a month ago it got so bad I finally made a doctor's appointment. It took a week to get seen but in that week I started to have real pain in my kidneys.

So I go into the Doc to see what was the matter and I said...

""Doctor, ain't there nothing I can take"
    I said, "Doctor, to relieve this belly ache?"
    I said, "Doctor ain't there nothing I can take"
    "

well the Doctor said he could run some tests but then asked me how much water I drank per day. And I sat there and tried to remember the last time I drank a glass of water... then asked him if a 12 pack of Diet Coke per day counted? Too which he looked at me like I was the idiot that I am.

He told me what I already knew that I needed to stop drinking Diet Coke. I told him that I had tried and had several times in the past couple of years but that the caffeine headaches always drove me back after 2-3 days.

So the doctor suggested that I try cutting down to 2-3 three per day at first and then try to stop after a couple weeks.

So that's what I did and it was unbelievable after just two days the pain left my kidneys and I started to pee like I was 18 again... one can assume what I thought was causing that problem. Now it's been a month on the H2O and even the tramatic arthritis is better and I have no wandering pain anywhere in my gut. I went in for the tests last week and I told my doctor about the change and he explained as I already knew that Diet Coke or any other soda does not act the same way in your body as water does and that basically I was de-hydrating myself and the pain in my kidney's was from my kidneys wanting to shut down.

Well the test are back and I not in bad shape for an old phart who's abused himself in the ways that I have in the past and I feel much much better as my suicide attempt by Diet Coke has been averted.

I only bring this up here because I know that alot of folks drink Diet soda and my doctor told me that diet soda is worse than regular pop and told me that it I want to drink one or two sodas a day while drinking plenty of water that I should drink regular coke. And to be honest while I have had two 12 packs in the fridge for the last two weeks in that time I've only drank 5 of them. Now that I've broken my habit I don't really enjoy them all that much but I've really gotten into bottled waters so I urge folks to learn from my stupidity.

BTW I have been a bit distempered the last couple of months from worry of my own well being I may have been a bit harsh a few times in some of my posts and for that I apologize...

that's the other reason I'm making this post I've got my own version of a 12 step program and this is the part where I apologize to all who I've done wrong to.
    Last edited by Frank Capua; 11-16-2005, 12:24 PM.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
    I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

There's no excuse for you.
    BRAWNDO - THE THIRST MUTILATOR...IT'S GOT WHAT PLANTS CRAVE!

Comment

Did the doc have any advice on potato salad?

Comment

Originally posted by Media Boy
        There's no excuse for you.
        I use to care more about the fuel I put in my race bike, than the fuel I put in my body. I got very sick. Never, ever again will I be so foolish.

Part of my lifestyle change was to drink at least 1 liter of water a day. Usually more.
        Ape Man

Comment

I've been drinking more water later, too. Even though I made fun of you, this was a good letter.

P.S. I think I read somewhere that you need to injest at least 2-3 cups of potato salad a day.
          BRAWNDO - THE THIRST MUTILATOR...IT'S GOT WHAT PLANTS CRAVE!

Comment

Well I've come to the conclusion that water is the new wonder drug. I'm just amazed and thankful that things have righted themselves so quickly... after two days the kidney's stopped hurting and within two weeks I felt years younger.

To be honest and as I noted I had been wanting to kick my habit for years but I always went cold turkey and the headaches were like migranes... this time just cutting down kept them at bay and I never had any this time.

But sorry media boy I sinned last night I passed on the potato salad and went with cole slaw.

Comment

I remember about 10 years ago, when my wife was expecting our son, her OB admitted she drank close to a case of Diet Coke a day.

Glad you're feeling better, WS. I have noticed you being more kind and gentle on the forum.
              It's hard to be cool when your dad is Goofy.

Comment

My mother-in-law is in an Altheimers facility in central Indiana here and the dieticians and nurses told my wife to wean her from Diet Coke and other diet products except for Diet-Rite as they have seen some benefits from doing this. I don't know this to be fact but we did it anyway...............

They said they recomend it for anyone with Arthritis............
                SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
                " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Originally posted by dog-ring
                  My mother-in-law is in an Altheimers facility in central Indiana here and the dieticians and nurses told my wife to wean her from Diet Coke and other diet products except for Diet-Rite as they have seen some benefits from doing this. I don't know this to be fact but we did it anyway...............

They said they recomend it for anyone with Arthritis............
                  Well my doctor told me that the caffiene is what was messing with the tramatic arthritis I have. So maybe Diet-Rite has less caffiene?

Comment

Put de lime in de coconut and mix em up together

Put de lime in de coconut and drink em all up.
                    All rides are bought. But occasionally the currency is talent.

Comment

Has anyone heard from Toonces? I know he has a severe Diet Coke Addiction

Glad you are feeling better Whosyer!

Comment

Originally posted by Whosyer-Sparkplug
                        Well my doctor told me that the caffiene is what was messing with the tramatic arthritis I have. So maybe Diet-Rite has less caffiene?
                        Rite. Diet Rite has no caffeine (or sodium). , except I can't stand the taste.

""Doctor, ain't there nothing I can take"
                        I said, "Doctor ain't there nothing I can take"
                        I said, "Doctor, to relieve this belly ache?""
                        Put the lime in the Co-Cola,
                        Put them both together,
                        Put the lime in the Co-Cola,
                        Then you feel better.

I gotta say I am addicted to the Lime Diet Coke. 2-3/day. Thanks for the cautionary tale, Whosyer. I'll be cutting back.
                        "Had every Athenian citizen been a Socrates, every Athenian assembly would still have been a mob." - Federalist 55
                        “My first reaction as a race car driver was to jump out of the car and use the Foyt technique of driver development - grab him and pound some sense into him.”
                        "Make way. I'm Reaganing."

Comment

Whosyer, welcome to the Water Generation.

About three years ago, my wife put me on this diet that, among other things, required me to drink at least 100 ounces of water a day. Dropped 35 pounds. Peed most of it away.

Didn't keep my eating habits kosher, so I've added a few pounds since. But I keep drinking the water, because I feel so damm much better if I do...
                          "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
                          --Danny Noonan

Comment

One of the other benefits of deleting diet soda from your diet is that your blood pressure will usually drop. That stuff is loaded with sodium... they use it to help restore some of the flavor lost.

Comment

I think I've got an idea for my New Year's resolution...go H2O.

I've been hooked on soda for years...I think it's time to go. Lukily for me, New Year's resolutions often work out for me....two years ago January I started jogging...could even make a half mile...now a 5K is a breeze.
                              Doctorindy.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X