Maytag Appliances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maytag Appliances

A little over one year ago we moved into a new house, and elected "top of the line" kitchen appliances from Maytag.

After 11 months, the dishwasher logic board went out, but was replaced under warranty.

This week, the refrigerator logic board went out and needs to be replaced. After one year the warranty provides parts, but the owner must pay for labor.

I'm not pleased about having to pay a dime on a "top of the line" appliance after a little more than one year, not to mention the time, inconvenience hassle of having to scramble to deal with a broken refrigerator.

Maytag = junk.
    I ain't quiet, everybody else is too loud.

The white goods appliance repair guys here at the shop agree with your junk assesment. I believe either Amana or Fridgedaire bought out Maytag a few years ago and the famous Maytag quality disappeared in the merger.

Comment

Originally posted by CARTer
      Maytag = junk.
      Agreed, I bought a Maytag washer and dryer about 5 years ago. After 5 major repairs in 5 years, they were finally relegated to the scrap-iron heap. Now, my home is all Kenmore appliances and all Sony electronics.
      “We live in a great and free country only because our forefathers were willing to wage war rather than accept the peace that spells destruction” Theodore Roosevelt

"There is nothing patriotic about hating your country, or pretending that you can love your country but despise your government. There is nothing heroic about turning your back on America, or ignoring your own responsibilities." Bill Clinton

Comment

Whirlpool washer, dryer, stove, and exhaust hood 10 years ago. Other then a broken agitator on the washer and stained drip pans on the stove, zero problems.
        ...---...

Comment

Maytag "Atlantic" washer and gas dryer 7 years ago - zero problems. Kenmore refrigerator (GE), gas stove (GE), & dishwasher (?) 6 years ago - zero problems.

Comment

Update: In order to get any kind of warranty service you have to use the repair company with whom Maytag has their repair contract. The thing has a 1 year parts and labor warranty, and years 2-5 they cover parts but no labor.

I just spoke with the repair guy. He thinks it was just a memory glitch on the circuit board, and there's probably nothing wrong with the part. Even so, he went ahead and replaced it since it was under warranty, although labor isn't covered.

I asked why I should have to pay labor to replace a part that wasn't broken. He explained that I had to pay $125.00 for the service call whether he replaced anything or not.

So I have to pay $125 to replace a part that the guy Maytag sent out didn't think was broken.

So not only junk, but a really ****ed up warranty service program as well.
            I ain't quiet, everybody else is too loud.

Comment

We bought a Crosby washer and dryer when we bought our first home about 11 years ago. We've NEVER had an issue with the washer and the dryer had to be serviced just recently--and it didn't cost very much.
              BRAWNDO - THE THIRST MUTILATOR...IT'S GOT WHAT PLANTS CRAVE!

Comment

I have been in the HVACR / appliance repair business since 1983. (Maytag bought Amana, now they have been purchased by Whirlpool). The only appliances I would have in my house are Whirlpool.

Period.
                Ape Man

Comment

Originally posted by CARTer
                  A little over one year ago we moved into a new house, and elected "top of the line" kitchen appliances from Maytag.

After 11 months, the dishwasher logic board went out, but was replaced under warranty.

This week, the refrigerator logic board went out and needs to be replaced. After one year the warranty provides parts, but the owner must pay for labor.

I'm not pleased about having to pay a dime on a "top of the line" appliance after a little more than one year, not to mention the time, inconvenience hassle of having to scramble to deal with a broken refrigerator.

Maytag = junk.
                  PS, There is a factory service bulletin for this problem on your refrigerator. PM me if you need further info on this........
                  Ape Man

Comment

Our observations have been that Maytag isn't what it used to be anymore. We had a 30 year-old Maytag washer that was the ironman. That thing worked like a ox. It finally died last year. Subsequent Maytag appliances haven't been nearly as trustworthy.
                    Doctorindy.com

Comment

Wow. That's really dissappointing. Dependable Maytag appliances are one of those things that aren't supposed to change. Too bad.

Comment

I'm sold on Kenmore.

My wife and I got washer and dryer 13 years as graduation presents - zero problems.

Kenmore dishwasher was in our house when we bought it, a friend of mine guesses its about 20 yrs old - zero problems.

Fridgedaire refridgerator that came with the house is quite possibly the loudest fridge I've ever known and the ice maker freezes up about every two months or so. Waiting for it to die.
                        "You see Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

Comment

Hey 2wheelshort...are Kenmore's still built by WP? I used to sell 'em and that was my understanding (10 years ago, anyhow).
                          ...---...

Comment

Maytag and Zenith were both top of the line, but they ain't no more.
                            We had a Whirpool washer and dryer for almost 15 years with very few problems. We just bought new ones last year.
                            Have a very blessed day!

Comment

CARTer, I think the key words in your initial post are "logic board." Remember when appliances didn't need those?

I work at an electronics company. Despite literally every precaution in the world we can and do take, our circuit boards sometimes fail in the field because of ESD. Electro-Static Discharge, in voltages small enough that you don't feel them, but they screw up an electronic component.

If the evidence of the screwing up appeared immediately, it wouldn't be such a big deal. But it doesn't. It can take weeks, months, in some cases years before ESD damage manifests itself.

Doesn't let Maytag off the hook for a crappy warranty, but the fact is, with anything that has a logic board, this can and will happen and it's not really anyone's fault. Probably, the repair guy replaced the board despite not thinking it was broken a) to cover his a$$ in case ESD had something to do with it and b) to justify charging you $125 for being there, which he'd have had to charge no matter what.
                              "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
                              --Danny Noonan

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X