Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best and worst airports

Top five scorers on a 1,000-point scale for mega-airport satisfaction:

• Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (800)
    • San Francisco International Airport (796)
    • Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (791)
    • John F. Kennedy International Airport (791)
    • Harry Reid International Airport (790)

At the bottom of the mega-airport list is Newark Liberty International Airport, with a score of 719 out of 1,000.

Bottom five scorers on a 1,000-point scale for mega-airport satisfaction:

• Toronto Pearson International Airport (755)
    • Boston Logan International Airport (754)
    • Los Angeles International Airport (753)
    • Chicago O'Hare International Airport (751)
    • Newark Liberty International Airport (719)

Among the large airports -- those with 10 million to 32.9 million passengers per year -- Tampa International Airport ranked highest for customer satisfaction with a score of 846 out of 1,000.
    John Wayne Airport, Orange County in California (826) and Dallas Love Field (825) also ranked highly.
    At the bottom of the large airports list was Philadelphia International Airport (729).

Among medium airports -- those with 4.5 to 9.9 million passengers per year -- Indianapolis International Airport ranked highest with a score of 842 out of 1,000.
    Pittsburgh International Airport (839) and Jacksonville International Airport (826) ranked second and third for satisfaction.
    Hollywood Burbank Airport in California was at the bottom of the list of medium airports for traveler satisfaction, with a score of 763.​
    https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/a...&utm_term=link

Based on our travel so far this year...

MSP is not at the top of any list that involves satisfaction. Perhaps it was the time of day, but there were exactly two food options open in the terminal we were in; one that sucked and one that sucked slightly less, and had really long line.

Our experience with LAX on the other hand was actually pretty good. Again, could have been the time of day (it was the same flight that sent us through MSP) but the lines and the wait times were short.

ORD is just confusing to get around. Like they make the maps and signage purposely obtuse to make it hard to leave.

DFW sucked. We changed gates no less than SIX times during a three-hour delay, and the terminal we were in smelled like sewage.

HPN is small and crowded, but super convenient. BDL and MKE perfectly cromulant. And once you get there, LGA isn't so bad after the remodel, but getting there still suuuuucks.
    “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Newark is a cesspool. It deserves the 'honor.'
      I ride tandem/with the random/Things don't run the way I planned them.
      Peter Gabriel, "Humdrum"

Comment

Indianapolis International is the airport that always made me feel best when I landed there.

My worse airport was just outside of Da Bang.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
        I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

Originally posted by brundle View Post
          Newark is a cesspool. It deserves the 'honor.'
          It absolutely does.

I don't have any serious issues with O'Hare (ORD is short for Orchard, the old name.)

ATL is massive but works pretty well. Like Reagan over Dulles like most. HNL is old and pretty bad.

LAX works okay for me. Not a fan of SFO. Seattle is way more sprawled out than it should be, 90% of the time I end up taking the train to the main terminal and then a bus to the rental cars.

Comment

In a year's time, the new KCI (MCI if you insist on identifier) will make the medium list. Maybe even lead it. It's looking like a massive improvement over what we have now.
            "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
            --Danny Noonan

Comment

Originally posted by Sweaty Teddy View Post
              Based on our travel so far this year...

HPN is small and crowded, but super convenient.
              You're not joking. I was flying out of there in July and was in disbelief as to how packed it was. Just completely out of seating. None. Even in the strange annex area behind the bathrooms.

DTW's been a great hub for me. I like a lot about the inside of PHX post-renovation. It's pleasant to spend time there. Favorite smaller airports are probably GSP, AVP, and TYS. Kinda funny to me how bad a lot of the big hub airport experience tends to be compared to those smaller b/c tier cities. Somewhere like SYR is paradise compared to JFK.

Comment

Toronto Pearson may be in the bottom 5, but at least it has a Rush song named after it.
                "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Best for me has been LAX and the worst for me has been DFW.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Fury View Post
                    Toronto Pearson may be in the bottom 5, but at least it has a Rush song named after it.
                    Coming into Los Angeles:

Comment

I hate to fly.
                      Center Grove Trojans
                      2008 5A Football State Champs
                      2015 6A Football State Champs
                      2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                      2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Newark is worst I've experienced, and I've seen a lot of airports. I live near Chicago so have flown out of Ohare many times, doesn't seem that bad to me but maybe I'm used to it. At least you can go almost anywhere in the work directly from Ohare. I dislike airports that require a tram to get to the gate.
                        “Church supper with grandma and granddad, lets go out and have ourselves the best time we ever had" - John Mellencamp

Comment

Originally posted by skypigeon View Post
                          In a year's time, the new KCI (MCI if you insist on identifier) will make the medium list. Maybe even lead it. It's looking like a massive improvement over what we have now.
                          The current KCI has a terrible setup. I haven't flown much, prefer to travel by land. Of the airports I've been to, it's the worst.

Comment

Depends on what one means by best and worst.

Of those I've flown from/to:

Most breathtaking is Paro, in Bhutan, a ludicrous location in between mountains, traditional architecture.

Cutest is Alderney, basically a hut with home-made tea and cake.

Most bling is Johannesburg, very swish and chic with three bookshops in one terminal.

Most "am I going to survive?" is Kathmandu, total chaos and queues crisscrossing so you might end up basically anywhere.

Least pleasurable is Iraklion, Dante would have re-drafted Inferno after a visit there.

Easiest to get to is Gibraltar, because, frankly, nowhere in Gibraltar is far from it. The runway crosses the main road into the city and has a gated pedestrian crossing.

Worst is Dublin, no trains so you're stuck with a useless bus service.
                            "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualBalboa View Post

You're not joking. I was flying out of there in July and was in disbelief as to how packed it was. Just completely out of seating. None. Even in the strange annex area behind the bathrooms.

DTW's been a great hub for me. I like a lot about the inside of PHX post-renovation. It's pleasant to spend time there. Favorite smaller airports are probably GSP, AVP, and TYS. Kinda funny to me how bad a lot of the big hub airport experience tends to be compared to those smaller b/c tier cities. Somewhere like SYR is paradise compared to JFK.
                              After walking the mile or so from the wrong off-site parking lot (I decided not to wait for the van that was coming from god-knows-where), the close quarters in the terminal were... something. Walking back to the car at midnight was an adventure in and of itself.
                              “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X