X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have offically adopted a hurrican Rita refugee

I present: Beauregard Von Tripps, aka: "Trip"

RacerDeb is thrilled.

Note the remarkable resemblance to his great-uncle on the right.
    "You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

I think you have established eligibility to be in a "Milwaukee's Best Light" beer commercial.
    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    ~~Groucho Marx
    I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

Here I thought Knockoff had rescued that Bus Driver.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
      I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

Here's the whole story:

After Rita ripped our city the mandatory evacuation remained in effect for a week during which he stayed with RacerDeb's relatives in Arkansas.

We finally got word that officials were opening the city for residents to enter, assess damage, gather their belongings and leave before the 7pm curfew: no power, no safe water.

We made the trek home and when we drove into our townhouse neighborhood we noticed the fence next door had been blown apart and a vicious pack of renegade furballs was roaming the driveway. 6 little Pom's had survived the storm!

Of course, we called to them, petted the two or three who were least afraid, poured water for them from our bottled supply, and I went across the street to my dad's house and looted a bag of dog food for them.

Two of them followed us into our house, wallowed around on the carpet, and generally acted like they owned the place.

But we had to leave them again due to the mandatory evacuation and cufew.

A week later the "cautiously clear" was given and residents could return to their homes with safe water, but very little power in the city. Again, we drove in from our hotel room east of Houston, but the dogs were all gone. Our hearts sank. We had no idea what had happened to them.

Then the plot thickens!

I saw on the local internet news site that my neighbor had been found DEAD IN HIS HOME the day after we left the dogs the first time! (He was in the house dead while we tended to the dogs..."shudders"). They're still investigating his death. RacerDeb's heart just sank with worry about the missing fur pack, so I began calling around looking for someone who knew about them.

Sure enough, I found my neighbor's daughter-in-law who told me the dogs had been flown to a shelter in St. Louis! All the shelters here and in Houston were filled to capacity. I told her how much my wife would like to have one and was there ANY way we could help. She said "if and when" they return from St. Louis we could adopt one.

Since RacerDeb's heart was so set on getting one, I secretly found a couple of Pom's for sale as a backup in case things fell through. (It would have broken her heart.) It was all I could do to keep her from going to the pet store for "dog stuff" in anticipation of getting a dog.

Nearly a month later, 6 Pom's came flying home, and their family called me late Wednesday night to tell us we could get first pick of the fur family refugees. RacerDeb was excited as a little girl. The whole clan jumped on her, licking her, and wildly ran around while she held the one she'd had her heart set on from the beginning. Five people showed up after her and adopted every single one of them.

Now the Tripster will not leave her side and sleeps in her lap while she works at the computer. He has an appointment with the groomer today.

And they played happily ever after.

The End
        "You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

That's really amazing... on like 3 or 4 levels too.

Comment

VERY, VERY cool KO... Thanks for doing your part to humanize the recovery. Did your home come through Rita w/o too much damage? Is your power restored yet? I felt so relieved when it turned away from me here in Houston, but knew it just meant the heartache was going to be elsewhere. Take care.

Comment

Knowing KO............when I opened this thread I thought I was gonna see a picture of a semi-nekid dancer that he had taken in.....................

Nice goin KO and Deb...............
              SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
              " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Um, are you sure that's a Pom? Sure looks a lot like a small American Eskimo Dog?

At any rate, great story - good to see you giving the dog a home.
                I'm from a place called the internet. Nothing disturbs me.

Comment

Originally posted by debdrake
                  Um, are you sure that's a Pom? Sure looks a lot like a small American Eskimo Dog?...
                  That's what I thought also.

roach

Comment

Hey KO, did you ever find out for sure if that's really a Pom?

Comment

Great story, KO. Cute dog, too.
                      "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Originally posted by debdrake
                        Um, are you sure that's a Pom? Sure looks a lot like a small American Eskimo Dog?

At any rate, great story - good to see you giving the dog a home.
                        I take it that we are talking very small sleds here??

Comment

Yep, it's a pure bred Pom.

But the breed is descendent from Swedish and Finnish snow dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Whosyer-Sparkplug
                            I take it that we are talking very small sleds here??
                            American eskimo (eskie) isn't a sled dog - think half way between a Pom and a Samoyed.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X