Kravitz makes deadspin.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kravitz makes deadspin.com

"The formula for a typical Kravitz column is much the same as it is for a bad TV sports announcer: Tell the viewer what he just saw by stating the obvious. Add to that the propensity for short, one-sentence paragraphs, and you have largely unreadable results. In our scientific study of 10 Kravitz columns, we noted an average of 26 paragraphs per column, which is very high. This one, on the Pacers-Pistons brawl, came in at 31. That’s a lot of blank space per effort — kind of like when a potato chip manufacturer seals in a lot of air to make the bag feel heftier."

"Best Question During an IndyStar.com Online Chat: “Why don’t you go back to Denver? Seriously, no one wants you here, and I’m sure you could do some great work bashing Jake Plummer and writing columns on how terrible Jerry Rice really was. Indianapolis is sick of you and your crappy columns and bad attitude. Go away. (Jim from Indianapolis).” "
    "Foyt's mere presence is a punch in the face, an inoculation against milquestoast corporatism. There wasn't a car anywhere anyhow anytime that Foyt wouldn't put the boot to, and there hasn't been a race devised he couldn't win."
    - Jeff MacGregor, Sunday Money

I'm not a Kravitz fan, but I am a journalism major, and short, one-sentence paragraphs are the norm for most newspapers. Unless you're George Will, you need to assume that your readers are at a sixth-grade reading level. If you want something more complex, there are always other publications.
    No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

I don't need it more complex, I just prefer reading sports writers who know a little something about sports.
      Center Grove Trojans
      2008 5A Football State Champs
      2015 6A Football State Champs
      2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
      2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Originally posted by Ren Butler
        I'm not a Kravitz fan, but I am a journalism major, and short, one-sentence paragraphs are the norm for most newspapers. Unless you're George Will, you need to assume that your readers are at a sixth-grade reading level. If you want something more complex, there are always other publications.
        That's what makes Deadspin's Hometown Writer feature so nice. He's not trying to compare Kravitz to Hemingway. He's up against his peers here.

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/homet...ists/index.php

Ironically, athos and I were having a conversation about a week ago regarding Deadspin's Bill Plaschke review, and we were mentioning the exact same thing. Kravitz is paragraph-challenged. Even in his line of work. Lo-and-behold, one week later, Kravitz gets the call.
        Last edited by rex; 11-01-2005, 01:34 PM.
        "The face of a child can say it all. Especially the mouth part of the face" - Jack Handey

Comment

I don't read the Star anymore, but I have noticed in the past Kravitz seems to be hung up on getting rid of Edgerin James (good thing the Colts didn't listen) and Ron Artest.
          It's hard to be cool when your dad is Goofy.

Comment

Hmmmm,

You say Kravitz sucks, eh?

Good thing there's a website saying so, I never could have figured it out without them....

My personal favorite was his article the day after Dale Earnhardt died. A legend, the biggest name in one of the two most popular spectator sports in America. A sport centered here in Indianapolis, where The Indianapolis Star had been the newspaper of record (among dailies) for auto racing. So there for the memorial is a front page "column" stating that "I don't get racing", recounting his entire racing experience as a couple of drunken days in the snake pit where he didn't care about anything going on on the track.

...and a few insinuations that race fans are hillbillies. Great job.

Touching. Poignant. Insightful.

The next worthwhile Kravitz article I read will be the first.

Comment

I was listening to Mark Patrick interview Kravitz on the radio and Patrick asks Kravitz who he thought was the greatest Mr. Basketball of all time.

First answer: Isiah Thomas

Second answer: Larry Bird

Both very fine basketball players, obviously, but Isiah prepped in Chicago and Larry didn't win Mr. Basketball.

Thanks for playing, Bob.
              Center Grove Trojans
              2008 5A Football State Champs
              2015 6A Football State Champs
              2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
              2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X