Attn College Sports Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attn College Sports Media

As an alumnus of Rutgers University (M.S. '95) I have been hearing a lot lately about how they're going to a bowl game this year and how this shows that Rutgers football has finally made it to the upper echelon of College football that has eluded them since some Princeton students challeged them to a game 129 years ago. To this I reply:

Don't believe the hype.

Oh sure, they're going to a bowl. But they won't be bowl eligible next week. Yes, they'll beat Navy, a team handicaped by the fact that they have to hire all their graduates. But, even though it will be their 6th win, one of those came against 1-AA Villanova, so it won't count towards bowl eligibility. Hey, it's better than playing DII Colgate, which they did until about 10 years ago, but real football teams took lower division teams off the schedule as soon as the "Notre Dame" rule took effect. Which brings me to my second point. Strength of schedule. The Big East is a BCS conference in name only. You brought this up a lot last year when MAC teams got shafted in the bowl selection process. It still applies now. Rutgers schedule is ranked 104th by Sangarin. That's what happens when you replace Miami and BC with Conneticut and South Florida. The best team they've beaten all year is Conneticut (4-4), which should tell you something.

I understand all this interest in Rutgers. It's the closest 1-A team to NYC. It played in the very first college football game. And yes, they are better than they used to be and the annual exodus of top level NJ football talent isn't as bad as in the past. We all love the underdog, but understand this; no matter what the athetic department tells you, Rutgers Alumni and Students are not traveling to a bowl game. It's not a football school. This is the same school who couldn't get them to travel the 60 miles to see them beat Temple. All the high school students from NJ who want a big time football school go to Penn State.

The bowl bid is perfunctory. A requirement put in place by a system I've yet to see any of you have 2 good words for. There will be teams out there far more deserving of their bid. Stop with the "This is the turnaround year" stories about The State University of New Jersey. Please.
    Last edited by Bombardier R142; 10-28-2005, 03:25 PM.
    It's impossible, that's sure. So let's start working.- Phillipe Petit

Talent borrows, Genius steals. - Pablo Picasso

Ah, there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers, paying attention... Science has it all.

Just one game vs 1-AA?

Sincerely,
    Texas Tech
    "Foyt's mere presence is a punch in the face, an inoculation against milquestoast corporatism. There wasn't a car anywhere anyhow anytime that Foyt wouldn't put the boot to, and there hasn't been a race devised he couldn't win."
    - Jeff MacGregor, Sunday Money

Comment

Question for you.

Why is it called Rutgers? Why not the University of New Jersey or New Jersey State?

I've been wanting to know that for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by athos1172
        Just one game vs 1-AA?

Sincerely,
        Texas Tech
        Wow, and I thought Rutgers was bad. How in Sam Hill did they get ranked with that schedule (Sagarin 109)? At least they had the good sense to blow out the lesser division teams. Rutgers even do that.

Of course, as I tell people all the time, computer rankings (as well as the BCS ones) are designed to tell who the best team is at the end of the season, not halfway through it.

As for the Rutgers name? It used to be called "Queen's College" back before the WOI. Afterward, like Columbia (formerly Kings) they decided to change from monarcy based names. They named it after Henry Rutgers, who gave money to the school in the hopes it would encourage him to give more. It didn't. But they kept the name. Then sometime in the 1950's the State decided to take it over and make it public and merge it with nearby Cook (ag school) and Douglas college (which was the Barnard/Radcliffe to Rutgers Columbia/Harvard). They decided to keep the name to keep tradition. The full name (as it appears on my degree) is "Rutgers - The State University of New Jersey). Attempts to call in U of NJ or something similar come up from time to time but get shot down pretty quickly. Rutgers.edu may have a more detailed (and accurate) description of the whole story.

Ah, there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers, paying attention... Science has it all.

Comment

Rutgers will be bowl eligible if they win one more game. A NCAA rule allows a team to count a victory against a I-AA opponent once every five(?) years for bowl purposes.

I'm not so sure hoewever, that a victory against Navy is a foregone conclusion. Rutgers is only 6.5 point favorite in Vegas, and their Sagarin ratings are close (Rutgers 59, 72.06) (Navy 73, 68.49). Like Rutgers, Navy is playing well, having won 4 straight going into this one (best win not impressive either, Air Force). Also, granted Navy lost almost everybody from last year's #22 ranked team, Rutgers hasn't forgotten that 54-21 pasting the Mids put on the Knights last year in Annapolis.

I think Rutgers has improved enough, and Navy has declined enough that Rutgers is the likely winner, but don't count out Navy, they aren't cupcakes you know.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by jkg
              Rutgers will be bowl eligible if they win one more game. A NCAA rule allows a team to count a victory against a I-AA opponent once every five(?) years for bowl purposes.

I'm not so sure hoewever, that a victory against Navy is a foregone conclusion. Rutgers is only 6.5 point favorite in Vegas, and their Sagarin ratings are close (Rutgers 59, 72.06) (Navy 73, 68.49). Like Rutgers, Navy is playing well, having won 4 straight going into this one (best win not impressive either, Air Force). Also, granted Navy lost almost everybody from last year's #22 ranked team, Rutgers hasn't forgotten that 54-21 pasting the Mids put on the Knights last year in Annapolis.

I think Rutgers has improved enough, and Navy has declined enough that Rutgers is the likely winner, but don't count out Navy, they aren't cupcakes you know.

I didn't know about the "once in 5 years" rule. So, apparently they will be eligable. I'm not completely counting out Navy, but I'd pick Rutgers on a straight win/loss bet. Even if they lose they're definitly going to pick up a win before the season's over.

Of course, if I was the Rutgers AD, I'd drop back to 1-AA and start scheduling Princeton again. That's the game the Alumni really care about. I'd also put Army and Navy back in the Ivy league full time, because that's where they really belong.

Comment

Originally posted by Bombardier R142

Of course, if I was the Rutgers AD, I'd drop back to 1-AA and start scheduling Princeton again. That's the game the Alumni really care about. I'd also put Army and Navy back in the Ivy league full time, because that's where they really belong.
                Were Army and Navy ever in the Ivy League?

Nice win by the Knights today, they are going to end up with a pretty nice season.

Comment

Originally posted by jkg
                  Were Army and Navy ever in the Ivy League?

The designation Ivy League [is credited to] Caswell Adams of the New York Tribune in 1937. The tag, premature of any formal agreement, was immediately adopted by the press as a foreshadowing of an eastern football league which, at the time, was big news to everyone except the athletic directors involved.

For years, the Ivy members already had been allied in leagues in basketball, ice hockey, baseball and swimming. Further common competition was found in the Heptagonal Games Association, which included Army and Navy, in the sports of baseball, track and field, and swimming. Through these other scheduling arrangements, the Ivy athletic directors were used to dealing with each other in matters of administration or the exchange of calculated confidences.
                  http://www.ivysport.com/history.php

Ivy League is the name generally applied to eight universities (Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Pennsylvania, Princeton, and Yale) that over the years have had common interests in scholarship as well as in athletics. Stanley Woodward, New York Herald Tribune sports writer, coined the phrase in the early thirties.
                  http://www.bhaeducation.com/ivyleague.htm

"Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
                  ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

But, even though it will be their 6th win, one of those came against 1-AA Villanova, so it won't count towards bowl eligibility
                    1-AA wins almost always count towards bowl eligibility.
                    Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the Keenest of them all?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X