College Football Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Football Playoffs

Listened to a discussion about the college football bowl system, lack of playoffs and the NCAA. The speakers points were generally these:

The bowl system exists and will continue to exist because the BCS schools do not have to share their game revenues.

There is collusion among the major conferences to keep this system in place.

The NCAA will not put their foot down and insist on a playoff system which would share revenue among conferencesbecause if the did...

The major conferences could secede from the NCAA which would then be left with a hollow structure in the absence of the major schools.
    Leave the BCS as is
    7.32%
    Get rid of the BCS and allow bowls to invite whom they wish
    24.39%
    Have a 4 team playoff
    21.95%
    Have an 8 team playoff
    31.71%
    Have a 16 team playoff
    14.63%
    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    ~~Groucho Marx
    I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Its a nice idea.. and thats likely what it will stay.

I think play the bowls, the ncaa gets its cash cow, and then take the top 3 winners.
    That way you only add 2 games to the season.

JMO.

Tj
    Sam Hornish Jr. 2006 Indianapolis 500 and IRL Champion. :D

Comment

I had what I thought would be a pretty decent thought last year, and I think it wouldn't change a whole lot.

Keep the polls/rankings/BSC whatever they want to rank the teams. Right now, they have eight BCS teams, and they have to narrow it down to the top two for the championship game. Sometimes that's easy, but it seems more often than not, it's too tough to get it narrowed down to exactly two.

I say narrow it down to the top four. I think that would be easier. Play the non-BCS bowls as usual. Have the top four play each other (#1 vs. #4 and #2 vs. #3) on New Year's Day in two bowls used as semi-finals (for example, the Fiesta Bowl and Sugar Bowl). The following week, the two winners play in a championship game (say, the Orange Bowl). The Rose Bowl could still be held out as a Big Ten/Pac 10 if their teams aren't a "top four." Rotate the bowls on who gets what game (just as they do now).

All you end up doing is moving one of the bowl games to a week later, which nowadays isn't that unheard of anyway. It does not add a new game, and it keeps the rest on New Year's Day where they belong. Perhaps the revenue for the "championship game" could be split amongst the four so that they are not gaining anything by playing an extra game.

To me, the way they have it now (one BCS championship game and three other BCS "nothing bowls") is lame. It seriously devalues the three other games.
      Doctorindy.com

Comment

I agree. I've always felt an 8-team playoff would work, but I think you add too much. 4 teams would be much better than the current system.

Comment

They're college students they aren't monkeys brought in to dance for your entertainment... let them go to back class after New Years.

BCS didn't solve much just made the arguments a little louder... give the whiners a 16 team playoffs and sports radio will start telling us within two years that #17 could have beaten them all and demand 32.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
          I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

I like the idea of 4 teams---if a good #5 doesn't make it, well, tough toenails.

Virginia Tech is a weak, weak, weakundefeated team given the Big East.

But it has gotta make you nervous that two of the computers rank USC 3rd and 4th.
            "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
            ~~Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by comfortably numb

Virginia Tech is a weak, weak, weakundefeated team given the Big East.
              They're in the ACC now
              “I think some drivers must still think it’s Dan. They keep flipping me off.” - Dario Franchitti

Comment

Well, then their Big East opponents are really weak.
                ~~Groucho Marx

Comment

Well, then their Big East opponents are really weak.
                  Yes that's the kicker... it takes 3-4 sessons for their schedules to catch up to the wanderings of their Atheltic Directors.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
                  I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

Duh, now I know what I was thinking...

After the defections of Big East teams to the ACC the Big East still remains a BCS conference. Their champion gets a BCS bowl birth---this at the expense of very good 2nd and perhaps even 3rd place teams from"major" conferences.
                    ~~Groucho Marx

Comment

Tommy Tuberville is blaming ESPN for the BCS mess. Have a 8 game playoff, or 4 at least. That way my Buckeyes have a better chance every year.
                      www.dulcetroad.com

My Band's website!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by badart
                        Tommy Tuberville is blaming ESPN for the BCS mess.
                        I don't know know if I'd blame ESPN per say for the BSC "mess." But it does raise an eyebrow that of the 28 bowls altogether, 25 of them are on ESPN/ESPN2/ABC.
                        Doctorindy.com

Comment

Duh, now I know what I was thinking...

After the defections of Big East teams to the ACC the Big East still remains a BCS conference. Their champion gets a BCS bowl birth---this at the expense of very good 2nd and perhaps even 3rd place teams from"major" conferences.
                          IIRC, doesn't Notre Dame have a exception clause that if they are "BCS worthy" they get the Big East's slot?
                          Doctorindy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy
                            IIRC, doesn't Notre Dame have a exception clause that if they are "BCS worthy" they get the Big East's slot?
                            I don't think so, but there at least used to be a clause that if ND gets 9 wins, they can be considered for an at-large spot (which they would certainly get).

http://www.bcsfootball.org/index2.cfm?page=faq lists some changes for the BCS starting next season.

Comment

If only there was an existing playoff system in another level of college football that could prove a 16-team playoff would work.

Oh, wait.

There is.
                              "Foyt's mere presence is a punch in the face, an inoculation against milquestoast corporatism. There wasn't a car anywhere anyhow anytime that Foyt wouldn't put the boot to, and there hasn't been a race devised he couldn't win."
                              - Jeff MacGregor, Sunday Money

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X