Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little League Basketball Question

Regular league, or Upwards?

He's a second grader of average ability.
    Thanks.

Good question. Is it better to be a "starter" on a mediocre team or a bench sitter on a good team in a quality league?

Does he want to play? Or does he want to practice against the best to get better?

90% of the kids belong in the leagues where everyone plays and winning isn't important. But that 10% who play on the "traveling" squad are the ones that are going to play later on.

Comment

Nothing against Upward--I think it's a great organization--but I'd give a good look at any other league you have in the area if your kids are average or above average players. Or, if your kids are competitive. We live in Avon and our kids have played in AJAA for many years now. It's a good organization. However, you may be too late to sign up for anything other than Upward at this point. I'm not sure about other leagues, but AJAA is already signed up and they've picked teams for the boys. Your local league may not be the same.

Also, get them started on steriods and HGH early. There's no good reason to wait. And be sure to make friends with someone from each of the major shoe manufacturers...Nike, Adidas, Reebok, Redwing ...wait, I guess I'm getting ahead of myself.

Just make sure they have fun and learn fundementals. That's the main thing.

MB
      BRAWNDO - THE THIRST MUTILATOR...IT'S GOT WHAT PLANTS CRAVE!

Comment

It really depends on your goals for the season. What do you want him to accomplish? Upward is a fine program but if you think he's going to be competing on AAU-type teams in the next four years this will be a year where he'll fall behind the other kids.

Sad but true.
        Center Grove Trojans
        2008 5A Football State Champs
        2015 6A Football State Champs
        2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
        2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Wait... are you guys serious? They now have traveling leagues for second graders??

So bein' just a kid is regulated to up to first grade?

So do these 2nd graders who are on traveling leagues... do they have a new dress code too?

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
          I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

Whosyer, its amazing. If you aren't involved in travel ball by 2nd grade you're getting left behind.

Don't get me started...
            Center Grove Trojans
            2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

My only goals for him is to have fun and give it his full effort. With the genetics he has, I really doubt basketball will ever be a forte. Maybe Upward would be the best thing, but it is out of the school district, and he wants to play with his buddies. We do have time to make the decision, but not much. One of our neighbors played in the Upward league last year, and really enjoyed it.

If I was governor, I'd ban all little league sports (except baseball, played after school is out in the summer), before the fifth grade. That's the way it was for me, dog gone it!

TD, isn't it funny how kids play basketball all year long, but free throw shooting is the worst I can ever remember? Whoops, I'm getting you started. I still really believe that a boys high school championship team from 1980 would pound the heck out of a current champion, unless they have a seven footer who will be starting in the pros next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector
                Whosyer, its amazing. If you aren't involved in travel ball by 2nd grade you're getting left behind.

Don't get me started...

No doubt! Up here we have an outstanding girls b-ball program. We chose to hold our three daughters back a year to study the fundamentals, then on to the traveling team. It paid off in spades for all three...big time!
                ...---...

Comment

Originally posted by turnrightgoleft
                  My only goals for him is to have fun and give it his full effort.
                  Then Upward is fine. I didn't realize you were talking about 2nd grade. However, I think they can have fun and still learn fundamentals. If your coach doesn't do it (and don't be surprised), you may have to. I didn't play as a kid, but my boy has been fortunate to get some good coaches in our local youth league.

If I was governor, I'd ban all little league sports (except baseball, played after school is out in the summer), before the fifth grade. That's the way it was for me, dog gone it!
                  But you're still putting him in, right? What kind of two-faced governor are you, anyway? I say we have a recall! Seriously, as a dad who's been through it some, I can tell you that the sports leagues can be great experiences for your kids. In our case, we home educate, so we think it's crucial that our kids be in sports or activities like this. It's worth it to us. If your kids are around other kids all day, it's probably not as big a deal. Upward would be great and hopefully their getting some good teaching at half-time.

I still really believe that a boys high school championship team from 1980 would pound the heck out of a current champion
                  There's no doubt that those boys from 1980 would shoot the lights out on a team today. However, the game has changed to a physical game where pushing and physical contact is the norm. I'm not saying I like it that way, but that's what it is even at the Jr. High level these days. So, those 1980s boys might be shocked to find out how much the new millenium boys could push them around. They might not be able to get open for shots. Don't get me wrong, fellers (and fellets), I'll take the old game, anyday and that's how I want my son to play.

Comment

The problem with rec leagues is that they tend to be populated with coaches who are there to glorify their own kids. "Of course my son will be the point guard. Nevermind that he is 2'7", weighs 140 lbs and can't take three steps without falling on his face...he's just a late bloomer!!"

"Now, your son's job is to pass it to my son!"

Center Grove Trojans
                    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

When my kid was in 2nd grade they had t-ball at the Little League fields and I went to the Parents meeting before the season started and I was appauled by what I saw. Parents were so intense that I decided I didn't want my kid anywhere near them. I mean it almost made you think the parents were on steroids just to coach and they had set up a big elaborate board to run their draft on... I asked them to take my son's name down and then went to the Boy's Club and signed him up there and became his teams coach.

However the weird thing about that was that half-way into the season I was talking to one of the other coaches... he seemed a bit young to me (like college age) so I asked him which kid was his. He laughed and said that he was there doing his community service for a DUI. I soon found out that I was the only coach in the T-ball league who wasn't there because I had been ordered there by a Judge. Later when talking to the director of the Boy's Club he said he had wondered why I hadn't given him any papers to sign.

Still it was a fun year and I guess because I was the one that wanted to be there that our team did pretty good, I made sure I worked with all of the kids with their fundamentals... I had helped a buddy back when I was living in Bloomnington with his son's team before my son was born and discovered that if you spent more time working with your weakest player bettering their skills that it turned out best for your team as a whole.

However the kid got turned onto Mountain Bike racing and that was the end of stick and ball sports for him. I'm not saying we didn't get carried away... I mean I'm sure he could have competed with something less than a $4,500 bicycle... but the parents aside from the expense seemed more motivated by doing something their kids wanted to do than the behavior I observed in the city little league system... but that might have been just the way it was in my town... I do live in "cracker" heaven.

Comment

I agree that a lot of parents ruin the atmosphere. It's too bad. I try to shield my kids from as much of it as I can but DANG IT WHEN THAT STUPID REF CAN'T SEE THAT MY SON IS GETTING CLOBBERED OUT THERE I HAVE TO PUT MY FIST IN HIS FACE TO LET HIM KNOW IT. But I digress.

Comment

I remember listening to Garrison on 1070 a few years ago, and he was talking about little league sports. I believe Greg went on to brag (shock and surprise ) about his kids, and how they did not play little league, but he just spent his time playing catch with them, or shooting hoops, or whatever, and they went on to play sports at the high school level and were proficient.

Again, this is from several years ago, and I may not be repeating his comments very well, but it was interesting. Thanks to all for their input. I've decided to buy a quarter midget . (I wish)

Comment

... Again, this is from several years ago, and I may not be repeating his comments very well, but it was interesting. Thanks to all for their input. I've decided to buy a quarter midget . (I wish)
                            Oh well... for auto racing you are starting way too late.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X