Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intardnet router advice

I'll be moving soon and need advice on buying a router. I'm not too tech
    savvy. Blips, bops, and bandwidth are witchcraft to me.

I don't game or stream movies (other than what Roku can provide), so I'm in need of help
    as to what to purchase. I don't need all the bells and whistles but also do not want to be caught
    short either.

This is a small one-bedroom apartment I'm taking.

Thanks.

...---...

Hard to go wrong these days. I typically buy Netgear stuff, get the second most expensive one that BB has on the shelf. They are all pretty good.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-wi...view-2498.html

Comment

Try to get a model that has the modem and wifi built in as one. I have two separate ones and it sucks. I recommend Bestbuy or Newegg.com to buy a unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Elusive1 View Post
        Try to get a model that has the modem and wifi built in as one. I have two separate ones and it sucks. I recommend Bestbuy or Newegg.com to buy a unit.
        Why? Explain it to me like I'm a 3 year old (but hold the smart aleck remarks...).

I "need" both?
        ...---...

Comment

Look at your providers approved list and check reviews on-line, I'm currently using an Arris wifi built-in. Order from NewEgg, Amazon or if you have a local MicroCenter.
          Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series Champions

Comment

If you are looking for an affordable mesh wifi, I purchased a three-piece Vilo set (Amazon and ViloLiving.com) and couldn't be happier. $80 for three units, setup was a piece of cake through their app. Like them so much I purchased a set for my mom.
            A ship on a voyage could sink in the deep.
            A ship in the shallow could crack on the reef.
            But only ashore is it safe where it is built
            And only ashore is it useless.

Comment

Originally posted by cheeseczar View Post

Why? Explain it to me like I'm a 3 year old (but hold the smart aleck remarks...).

I "need" both?
              Well...what WR9 said about checking with your provider since one model for the intended modem may not be accepted by your cable or internet subscriber. I've had the Netgear and granted they can be purchased virtually anywhere but I recommend Motorola or the Arris since they seem to have some of the highest ratings for modem/wifi routers. If you can find the dual units as one for less than $100 then go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by cheeseczar View Post

I "need" both?
                A modem is the device that connects the outside world to your house.
                A router is a device that "routes" traffic between the connected devices in your home, PC, tablet, smart phone, smart appliance, your modem, etc. A router does this through wireless protocols and hard wired ethernet cabling technology.

If you get a modem with routing capability you may or may not need a separate router. As Elusive said if the modem has wifi you're covered unless you have several hard wired devices. Most modems may have 1-2 ethernet ports. Most routers may have 4-8 ports. I have a router and switches(more ethernet ports) since I have about 4 computers, some rokus, printers, televisions, alarm panel, home automation devices, cameras, etc. all hard wired.

Comment

Some cable cos - like mine - will not recognize modems they did not provide.

Comment

Originally posted by rodneyh View Post

A modem is the device that connects the outside world to your house.
                    A router is a device that "routes" traffic between the connected devices in your home, PC, tablet, smart phone, smart appliance, your modem, etc. A router does this through wireless protocols and hard wired ethernet cabling technology.

If you get a modem with routing capability you may or may not need a separate router. As Elusive said if the modem has wifi you're covered unless you have several hard wired devices. Most modems may have 1-2 ethernet ports. Most routers may have 4-8 ports. I have a router and switches(more ethernet ports) since I have about 4 computers, some rokus, printers, televisions, alarm panel, home automation devices, cameras, etc. all hard wired.
                    Last time I counted, I had 6 devices hard wired and 24 wireless.

Comment

I'm like the opposite, always hated wireless, with a crawl space and attic, went all in on wired direction. Rokus in my house struggled with wireless even when loading menus so I got the one with ethernet port, works flawlessly. Even door/window contacts I go the wired way if I can figure how to get it in there.

I guess this new WiFi 6 has caught up to Ethernet and obviously at some point WiFi will get faster than my Cat6 everywhere in the house but til then, I'm content.

Comment

Thanks all. I need to call whomever the provider is and go from there.
                        ...---...

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post

Last time I counted, I had 6 devices hard wired and 24 wireless.
                          I am sure cheeseczar will find that information to be most helpful.
                          "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Comment

Netgear ethernet over electrical wiring works pretty good for a faster connection instead of using the wifi connection. I installed one for my son in his room for Call of Duty gaming. Wifi in the basement on the iRacing simulator is weak signal, so I will probably get another one for that.

When you work with this tech all day long, sometimes you just don't want to touch it at home.
                              Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series Champions

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X