Wow didn't realize the Olympic games started before the Opening Ceremony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow didn't realize the Olympic games started before the Opening Ceremony

Couldn't sleep last night so while i was flipping the dial i came across the Olympic softball tournament. 6 teams competing Japan, USA, Canada, Mexico, Italy, Australia. Ended up watching all 3 games. Round robin format with top 2 playing for gold medal while 3rd & 4th will play for bronze. Games all week with medal games on Tuesday. Likely the first medals awarded. By the way Japan hit 3 home runs in beating Australia 8-1 in 5 innings by the mercy rule. USA threw a one hitter beating Italy 2-0. Canada scored 2 in the first inning in route to a 4-0 victory over Mexico. Today USA vs Canada, Japan vs Mexico, Italy vs Australia. Also women's soccer started with USA women losing 3-0 to Sweden in a upset.

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olym...c-schedule.htm

I wish I knew - Dennis "Cutty" Wise

When its game time, it's pain time! - Terrible Terry Tate

Comment

Been that way for awhile.
      It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

Too bad McDonalds won't bring their Game back. That was fun and I bet would raise viewership. Maybe NBC could reimburse them.

5145891953_b414693da5_b.jpg

Comment

No fans, I guess they can do what they want when they want. To be honest I think it's going to be difficult to watch.

Oh wait are they going to put people cardboard cutouts and pipe in crowd noise?

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
          I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

In case anyone is interested on Wed. games

USA vs Canada- USA loaded the bases in the 1st & 2nd but did not score. Finally got a run in the 5th. USA threw another 1 hit game as they beat Canada 1-0

Japan vs Mexico- Game went into extra innings tied 2-2. Mexico loaded the bases in the top of the 8th but did not score. Japan scored in the bottom of the 8th to win 3-2

Italy vs Australia- Australia took a 1-0 advantage into the 6th. Italy got runners in scoring position in both the 6th & 7th but could not score. Australia won 1-0.

Standings
            Japan 2-0 +8
            USA 2-0 +3
            Canada 1-1 +3
            Australia 1-1 -6
            Italy 0-2 -3
            Mexico 0-2 -5

Teams have Thursday off before resuming Friday

Friday games
            (1-1) Australia vs (1-1) Canada
            (2-0) USA vs (0-2) Mexico
            (2-0) Japan vs (0-2) Italy

Comment

Originally posted by stockblock View Post
              In case anyone is interested on Wed. games

USA vs Canada- USA loaded the bases in the 1st & 2nd but did not score. Finally got a run in the 5th. USA threw another 1 hit game as they beat Canada 1-0

Japan vs Mexico- Game went into extra innings tied 2-2. Mexico loaded the bases in the top of the 8th but did not score. Japan scored in the bottom of the 8th to win 3-2

Italy vs Australia- Australia took a 1-0 advantage into the 6th. Italy got runners in scoring position in both the 6th & 7th but could not score. Australia won 1-0.

Standings
              Japan 2-0 +8
              USA 2-0 +3
              Canada 1-1 +3
              Australia 1-1 -6
              Italy 0-2 -3
              Mexico 0-2 -5

Teams have Thursday off before resuming Friday

Friday games
              (1-1) Australia vs (1-1) Canada
              (2-0) USA vs (0-2) Mexico
              (2-0) Japan vs (0-2) Italy
              Softball, Baseball? Men, Women?

I looked for the Olympics last night on NBC & Peacock but didn't find anything, at least anything live. Peacock had a lot of canned promotional material if you were interested in Women's Gymnastics, specifically if you are interested in Simone Biles.

I don't know what NBC will do if Biles doesn't win the overall.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
              I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

For the first time since they let professionals participate, I'm looking forward to watching the Olympics. Something to take my mind off the news and current events, as well as the summer heat, for a couple of weeks. Haven't cared about it since I was a kid, but looking forward to the distraction, especially some of the more esoteric events.

Comment

Originally posted by rodneyh View Post
                  Too bad McDonalds won't bring their Game back. That was fun and I bet would raise viewership. Maybe NBC could reimburse them.

5145891953_b414693da5_b.jpg
                  The Soviet Bloc pulled out and the US won most of the medals. McDonald's lost their shirt on that game.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Capua View Post

Softball, Baseball? Men, Women?

I looked for the Olympics last night on NBC & Peacock but didn't find anything, at least anything live. Peacock had a lot of canned promotional material if you were interested in Women's Gymnastics, specifically if you are interested in Simone Biles.

I don't know what NBC will do if Biles doesn't win the overall.
                    The only prior to Opening Day games were men & women soccer plus women's softball. Both of the sports were only covered on NBCSN. However now that they are moving past Opening Day with all sports starting the coverage will jump all over the place on the various networks. Since i can't stand soccer i just watched the women's softball. They put in place many speed rules (pitcher only 20 seconds to throw, Batter must stay in box) that makes the games quick. Their is a men's baseball tournament that starts later but of course the pros are not in it.
                    Last edited by stockblock; 07-22-2021, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stockblock View Post
                      Their is a men's baseball tournament that starts later but of course the pros are not in it.
                      They aren't major leaguers but they are pros.

Manning the infield for the red, white, and blue is Nick Allen (Oakland Athletics AA), Eddy Alvarez (Miami Marlins AAA), Triston Casas (Boston Red Sox AA), Todd Frazier, and Jamie Westbrook (Milwaukee Brewers AAA). Tyler Austin (Yokohama DeNA Baybears), Eric Filia (Seattle Mariners AAA), Patrick Kivlehan (San Diego Padres AAA), and Bubba Starling (Kansas City AAA) will patrol the outfield, and Jack Lopez (Boston Red Sox AAA) will serve in a utility role for the squad.

Behind the dish will be Tim Federowicz (Los Angeles Dodgers AAA) and Mark Kolozsvary (Cincinnati Reds AA), and the duo will manage the 12-pitcher staff of Shane Baz (Tampa Bay Rays AAA), Anthony Carter (Saraperos de Saltillo), Brandon Dickson (St. Louis Cardinals AAA), Anthony Gose (Cleveland Indians AAA), Edwin Jackson, Scott Kazmir (San Francisco Giants AAA), Nick Martinez (Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks), Scott McGough (Tokyo Yakult Swallows), David Robertson, Joe Ryan (Tampa Bay Rays AAA), Ryder Ryan (Texas Rangers AAA), and Simeon Woods-Richardson (Toronto Blue Jays AA).
                      https://www.usabaseball.com/news/top...ster-announced
                      It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

[QUOTE=midtown;n6798238]

They aren't major leaguers but they are pros.

True i should have said it differently but meant the major league players are not in it at least from the USA.

Comment

Just need to say NO CURRENT major leaguers and you're good.

Comment

[QUOTE=rodneyh;n6798327]Just need to say NO CURRENT major leaguers and you're good.

Japan is fielding a baseball team made up of their top All-Stars from their top pro league NPL... As a result they are considered a huge favorite to win the Gold. By the way both baseball & softball are not official Olympic sports. They are both in this Olympics because Japan choose to add them as a host nation option which was heavily backed by the NPL & the women's pro softball league in Japan. Currently baseball & softball will not be played in future Olympics unless a host nation chooses to add them or the Olympic committee changes its mind on these 2 sports.
                            Last edited by stockblock; 07-22-2021, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Softball is almost as interesting as soccer...
                              "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                              ~~Groucho Marx
                              I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X