College Football Playoff Expansion???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Football Playoff Expansion???

"Under the proposal for a 12-team format, the four highest-ranked conference champions would be seeded 1-4 and receive a first-round bye.
    Teams 5-12 would play each other in the first round on the home field of the higher-ranked team.
    The quarterfinals and semifinals would be played in bowl games and the national championship game would remain at a neutral site."

​​​​​​​https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...12-team-format
    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    ~~Groucho Marx
    I have the hots for Khaleesi...

One ESPN panelist noted:

"College football desperately needs to expand its geographic footprint, but if this system played out over the past seven years, half the bids would've gone to the SEC and Big Ten."

Last year the SEC would have received 4 of the 12 spots. What is the point of that?

I have opposed expansion for years, but I am willing to accept an eight team playoff but with only one team per conference.
    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    ~~Groucho Marx

Comment

I would accept an 8 team playoff, but some conferences deserve more than 1 team. I could see where 1 conference might deserve 3 teams.
      quote:
      "It is sad that open-wheel racing has become a buy a ride situation, but it is what it is."

Comment

One of the rteasons for expansion obviously is to give schools from smaller conferences opportunities. But this purpose is defeated if you let the larger confernces send multiple teams. If this plan were in place last year, 4 SEC teams would have qualified. One writer has pointed out that over the last 7 years the Big 10 and the SEC would have supplied one-half of the teams.
        ~~Groucho Marx

Comment

I like it.. and I don't generally like new things.

I've also been watching a lot of Golf on TV this summer. Maybe I've come down with something.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
          I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

Is there a team in the 4-team BCS era that missed the playoff that coulda-woulda been a serious threat to win it all?
            "Thank God for the fortune to be here, to be an American."--Alan Kulwicki, 11/15/92

Comment

Nope, several that got the nod that never had a chance outside of being there.

Of course someone will follow me to argue that there was and then they will bring up some team that really didn't play but one or two ranked teams.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
              I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

Originally posted by dalz View Post
                Is there a team in the 4-team BCS era that missed the playoff that coulda-woulda been a serious threat to win it all?
                Teams not selected

2014-15 - Baylor and TCU were 11-1 (3 of the chosen had 1 loss)
                2015-16 - Iowa, Ohio State and Houston were 12-1 (Michigan St. was selected)
                2016-17 - no one loss teams were not selected
                2017-18 - Wisconsin 12-1 & Ohio St. 11-2; UCF 12-0 (the top 4 all had one loss)
                2018-19 - Ohio St. 12-1; UCF 12-0 (No Big 10 team selected
                2019-20 - Memphis & Boise St 12-1 (3 of the 4 slected were 13-0)
                2020-21 - 2 of the 4 finalists had one loss; Texas A&M, Indiana, USC & Louisiana had 1 loss; Cincinnati 9-0; San Jose St 7-0

Not to say all of the above omitted had a shot, but were denied based on a judgement rather than their records (yes, I know there were varying schedule strengths).
                A fairer process would be to take the best team from each conference rather than the 2nd or 3rd place teams from the same conference. After all, they had already proved they were not the best
                ~~Groucho Marx

Comment

I always supported a 8 team playoff. but 12 seems too many.

Comment

Originally posted by dalz View Post
                    Stanford, a few years ago late in the season was as good as anyone, but lost games early in the season.
                    quote:
                    "It is sad that open-wheel racing has become a buy a ride situation, but it is what it is."

Comment

In 2016 Penn St. beat Ohio St. and went on to win the Big Ten championship, but Ohio St. got the BCS nod.

Playoff teams get exposure that helps with recruiting. That plays into Alabama, Clemson and Ohio St. being so dominant.

I wish I knew - Dennis "Cutty" Wise

When its game time, it's pain time! - Terrible Terry Tate

Comment

I don't think we need a national champion in college football. Play to win your games, win your conference and get to a bowl game of some sort. I think this actually works and still gets folks excited. I'm not sure why we INSIST on there being a SINGLE champion when it's nearly impossible to do it in a consistently fair way.
                        BRAWNDO - THE THIRST MUTILATOR...IT'S GOT WHAT PLANTS CRAVE!

Comment

Originally posted by don7031 View Post
                          In 2016 Penn St. beat Ohio St. and went on to win the Big Ten championship, but Ohio St. got the BCS nod.

Playoff teams get exposure that helps with recruiting. That plays into Alabama, Clemson and Ohio St. being so dominant.
                          You nailed it on recruiting. But you forgot Notre Dame who always seems to be borderline but selected anyway before laying an egg in their actual game. The Selection Committee selects the teams that will bring in the largest numbers of viewers and hence the most dollar$ from advertisers. The present system is a travesty.

If the system does expand there should definitely be automatic bids based on teams that win their conference championship.

That and DO AWAY WITH THE CFP SELECTION COMMITTEE!!!

Comment

I would support a 8 team playoff, and then lock it in at 8 teams. Anything above that is not needed. I don't care if all 8 teams come from the Big 10, SEC or whatever, I just want the best 8 teams.
                            RHR: "I'm a proud American boy right now!" -2014 Indy 500 Victory Lane

Comment

Originally posted by don7031 View Post

One of the reasons i always supported a 8 team format was when the committee would choose a team that lost the conference Championship game over the Conference winner.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X