Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Romance of working on the Rails

FF to 11:15 to see what I mean

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    ~~Groucho Marx
    I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Are you a rail fan?
    Trump, he's one of the nicest, most decent human beings possibly ever to walk the planet..

Comment

My son, about 15 years ago or so, went on a Scout campout on a tourist railroad not far from here. The tourist railroad let his troop use the campground for free, making them do a small amount of maintenance with sledge hammers and pick axes as 'payment.' It was quite the eye-opener for many a young man that day
      "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
      --Danny Noonan

Comment

That was pretty cool.
        Is Locomotive 3150 a Ferrari?

Comment

Originally posted by Indyknut View Post
          Are you a rail fan?
          You know how it is on YouTube---you watch one video and a list of related ones pop up. But no, I don't know one locomotive from another.
          However when I was a kid we went on a monumental vacation and we rode the Union Pacific, Rock Island, Pensylvania, Southern, and Southern Pacific Railroads.
          The real rail fans are in Great Britain. UK Rail has live streaming from dozens of stations along with a sidebar live chat
          "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
          ~~Groucho Marx

Comment

Your talking to a ex-railroader here. Yes the rails are romantic !

Comment

That was what I always wanted to do. Remember the Parker Bros. game "Careers"? We used to play it, and I always picked "engineer" because I thought it was "the guy who drove the train". Dammit, I barely ever even got to take a train ride, unless you count the South Shore and the old Corydon Scenic Railroad. The former...well, I was on my way to AFEES (and if you know what that is, you know why the trip wasn't that pleasant) and the latter no longer exists and was too short. I do, however, have a coffee mug...
              You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by comfortably numb View Post

You know how it is on YouTube---you watch one video and a list of related ones pop up. But no, I don't know one locomotive from another.
                However when I was a kid we went on a monumental vacation and we rode the Union Pacific, Rock Island, Pensylvania, Southern, and Southern Pacific Railroads.
                The real rail fans are in Great Britain. UK Rail has live streaming from dozens of stations along with a sidebar live chat
                Got some of that stateside too...

http://www.honorflight.org/

Comment

Originally posted by comfortably numb View Post

I remember you posting about that before. Just before passenger service on all of them died, and Amtrak became their mutant zombie Frankenstein corpse

That must have been a fun time.
                  "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
                  --Danny Noonan

Comment

I grew up surrounded by railroad tracks from the steam locomotive era in West Indianapolis off Oliver Avenue and Belmont. There was an engine roundhouse on Belmont. I've always been fascinated. My two maternal uncles worked on the Nickel Plate RR out of Fort Wayne. My grandfather was a conductor on the Nickel Plate. He had his own red caboose. My older sibling and cousins got to visit it but being 2 years old when my grandfather died I have no memory. The conductors, not the engineers were in charge of the train back in those days. I had a great uncle who died working on the Nickel Plate in a train accident and another great uncle who was the treasurer of the Nickel Plate in Cleveland. The demise of the Nickel Plate restaurant in Fishers was a sad day for me.
                    Davydd (Anglicized Welsh name for David...that's all)
                    Certified BPT Taster Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
                    Long lost Speedway Sparkplug thrashing about in the deep woods of Minnesota

Comment

Trains are fascinating.

In my younger days I'd occasionally go to the Princeton junction station just to watch the express trains blast through the station at 70(?) MPH.

I've gone round trip from NC to NJ a couple times and it is wonderful.

They switch from diesel to electric in DC and it's fun to get out and just be in the middle of all the railroad hub-bub for 30 minutes.

You cant wander of course but I see enough on the platform.
                      Live like Dave

Comment

Agreed, Kev. For some folks who ride on a near-daily basis on their commute perhaps the allure loses its luster, but for me it continues to be a treat to ride the rails. DC to NYC on the Acela Express was a great experience; if I lived on the east coast I’d likely choose that option for weekend excursions.

Comment

Originally posted by RacingPortaJohn View Post

Got some of that stateside too...

I watch the one from LaPlata, MO (the bottom one) every so often, along with a few other cameras. I'll probably do so tonight, since there's not much on.

Comment

Originally posted by Davydd View Post
                            I grew up surrounded by railroad tracks from the steam locomotive era in West Indianapolis off Oliver Avenue and Belmont. There was an engine roundhouse on Belmont. I've always been fascinated. My two maternal uncles worked on the Nickel Plate RR out of Fort Wayne. My grandfather was a conductor on the Nickel Plate. He had his own red caboose. My older sibling and cousins got to visit it but being 2 years old when my grandfather died I have no memory. The conductors, not the engineers were in charge of the train back in those days. I had a great uncle who died working on the Nickel Plate in a train accident and another great uncle who was the treasurer of the Nickel Plate in Cleveland. The demise of the Nickel Plate restaurant in Fishers was a sad day for me.
                            Conductors are still in charge of trains, they just do it from the cab of the lead locomotive these days.

Comment

Briish high speed locomotives are dual powered---electricity and diesel.
                              Of course, the are built by Italians.
                              ~~Groucho Marx

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X