RIP Tab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Tab

Good, can't stand the stuff. Now do Fresca.

When was the last time anyone saw that sh-tuff in the stores? I haven't seen it for years. Decades, maybe.
    "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
    --Danny Noonan

Comment

I thought you were referring to Tab Hunter.
      Davydd (Anglicized Welsh name for David...that's all)
      Certified BPT Taster Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
      Long lost Speedway Sparkplug thrashing about in the deep woods of Minnesota

Comment

JIm, beat me to it.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/16/busin...ola/index.html

"Gimme a Tab." / The counterman sighed loudly, looked at him askance. / "You'll get that later." / "What?" / "I can't give you the tab unless you order something," the counterman growled. / Marty didn't get it but just decided to roll with the punches. "Then let me have a Pepsi Free." / "Kid," the counterman said, making no attempt to hide his growing irritation, "if you want a Pepsi, you gotta pay for it."

https://backtothefuture.fandom.com/wiki/Tab
        It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

Did someone ever force you to drink Tab?

I don't mind a Fresca every now and then.
          There's really no such thing as Gary the Moose, Sybil.

Comment

Originally posted by Davydd View Post
            I thought you were referring to Tab Hunter.
            Me too!

Particularly with Jim’s history of posts reporting that celebrities are still dead.

My sister had one of those hourglass shaped Tab glasses when we were growing up.

Comment

Mom drank the hell out of Tab in the 70s and 80s. Even got Tab floats at Dairy Queen.

Fresca is good.
              Center Grove Trojans
              2008 5A Football State Champs
              2015 6A Football State Champs
              2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
              2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Coca-Cola introduced soda in cans in 1960 but it wasn't until 1964 before it was widely introduced nationally. In fact the Hulman owned Coca-Cola bottling facility on West 25th Street in Speedway chose to introduce it in May 1964. I and a couple friends were walking home following the race & our day of selling souvenir copies of the Indy Star stopped at the gas station at 25th & Georgetown to get a side for the walk home near Meadowwood Park. But they were out of everything but Tab so we each bought one, it was that hot. As we walked along 25tb street and the parking lot it had become from the rush of folks trying to make their way to I-465 & parts West we overheard a woman exclaimed how shocked she was to see 3 youths walking down the street drinking beer.
                ​​​​​​See, the general public in 1964 wasn't any more use to seeing soda in cans anymore than they knew what Tab was. The lesson I learned that day was that I would never be thirsty enough again to ever settle for a Tab again.
                BTW I find it interesting that in a 6 post thread that Fresca has been mentioned twice in a thread about the demise of Tab. Interesting because Fresca is the only other soda I swore off after my first taste.
                Dr. Pepper had a 100% higher success rate with me as I tried it twice before I gave up on it.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
                I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

I don't think I've seen Tab since the 80s, and even then it was like a mythical creature that I wasn't entirely sure was real. I've never tasted it.
                  "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post
                    Mom drank the hell out of Tab in the 70s and 80s. Even got Tab floats at Dairy Queen.

Fresca is good.
                    Not meaning at all to suggest your mother was like her--Lord, I hope not --but I had an aunt who back then easily must have weighed 250-300 pounds. She would buy two or, when she could find them, three liter bottles of Tab. The irony did not escape me.
                    "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
                    --Danny Noonan

Comment

Not even close. But even then I told her how crappy Tab was. Her defense was that it was made by Coke. I told her if it was worth a **** they would have called it Diet Coke. Even Coca Cola was ashamed of it.
                      Center Grove Trojans
                      2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

So what did Tab taste like? Diet soda? Something altogether different? I've actually been curious for over 30 years. If I had ever come across it I would have bought some just to find out.
                        "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

Originally posted by happyscrappy-t View Post
                          So what did Tab taste like? Diet soda? Something altogether different? I've actually been curious for over 30 years. If I had ever come across it I would have bought some just to find out.
                          Carbonated motor oil...
                          Tibi Fumus Obsidio Septum Doro

Comment

Does anyone else remember Like cola? No one I ask seems to remember it. I know I'm not making it up because I googled it, and sure enough, it did exist.
                            I like Ren and chevy. I don't care much for djski. That's my 'scientific' poll of one. - -Mannishboy-

Comment

Originally posted by happyscrappy-t View Post
                              Not sure how to describe it. Just a poor tasting diet cola with an awful after-taste.
                              Center Grove Trojans
                              2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X