Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball

Since the season is going to be delayed (and hopefully not canceled), does anyone want to discuss the National Pastime? Can be anything from past history to current, players, teams, commissioners, managers, fans, anything.

I'd love to discuss the impact World War II (or other conflicts like World War I or Korea) had on some great players stats. Or whatever you the fan wants to discuss.

Watched the second episode of Ken Burn's Baseball last night. One segment was on the players that served in WWI. The great Christy Matthewson, with Ty Cobb, arrived in France after the Armistice and served in an Army chemical unit. But Matthewson participated in a gas drill, severely damaged his lungs in an accident, and never played ball again. He died prematurely seven years later.
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

That was a pretty good series. Hard to believe so many years have passed since its debut (1994).

Comment

My Phillies were having a great spring training but that doesn't mean much. I'm more worried about the local youth leagues and how the loss of revenue will impact them. Plus my high school's team is probably the best in the state and it's looking like they won't get a chance to play. We have a shortstop heading to Alabama who is worth every dime for admission. I'd like to see him play a few more times.
        Center Grove Trojans
        2008 5A Football State Champs
        2015 6A Football State Champs
        2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
        2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post
          My Phillies were having a great spring training but that doesn't mean much. I'm more worried about the local youth leagues and how the loss of revenue will impact them. Plus my high school's team is probably the best in the state and it's looking like they won't get a chance to play. We have a shortstop heading to Alabama who is worth every dime for admission. I'd like to see him play a few more times.
          I've seen him play and he's a definite star. You bring up some very good points. I would hate to see the local youth leagues in Center Grove and really all of the state and country lose out.

Getting back to your high school team, that might be the only thing I would slightly disagree with you on. I thought they would be the best in Johnson County the past couple of years, but they ran into some pretty good competition as well. I still marvel at how Whiteland stopped the Trojans with some excellent pitching. I don't doubt that CG would be the best team in the area this year though and perhaps the state, but there were going to be some pretty good teams in Indiana that would have given them a run this year.

Comment

Back in da day, the L.A. Dodgers only broadcast their away games against the Giants.
            Two of the most interesting hours of it was Vin Skully telling stories during the 'fog delay'.
            "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
            ~~Groucho Marx
            I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

Then there's Ted Williams. Served in WWII as a flight instructor and Korea as a Marine fighter pilot.
              It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

Originally posted by midtown View Post
                Then there's Ted Williams. Served in WWII as a flight instructor and Korea as a Marine fighter pilot.
                Yes, what would his numbers have been? I’m going to work on that when I get home.
                "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                ~~Groucho Marx
                I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

Originally posted by comfortably numb View Post

Yes, what would his numbers have been? I’m going to work on that when I get home.
                  The numbers of Ted Williams would have been much higher. The same goes for these greats as well: Hank Greenberg, Bob Feller, Joe DiMaggio, Warren Spahn, Stan Musial, Johnny Mize, Bob Lemon and Yogi Berra (maybe a year's worth).

Imagine what numbers they would all have.

Comment

The Reds were going to win it all this year! Damn it!

Comment

Here is a bit of forgotten history of a failed attempt in the late 60's to form a 3rd major league.

The Global League was a professional baseball league in 1969. The league was meant to feature six teams from five countries; the Dominican Republic, Japan, Puerto Rico, the United States, and Venezuela. In reality, only four teams were constituted. The league folded after one month.

The league was the idea of the Louisville Colonels' Walter Dilbeck. The league would be a world-wide league, featuring teams from the United States, Japan, and the Caribbean. It was formerly announced in September 1968 with the following teams:
                      • Alabama Wildcats (Alabama)
                      • Dominican Sharks (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic)
                      • New Jersey Titans (New Jersey)
                      • Puerto Rico Sunfans (Puerto Rico)
                      • Tokyo Dragons (Tokyo, Japan)
                      • Venezuela Oilers (Caracas, Venezuela)

Toru Mori, formerly of the Chunichi Dragons, Taiyo Whales, and Tokyo Orions was the manager of the Tokyo club. Chico Carrasquel managed the Latin American squad. Happy Chandler was named the league's Commissioner and Bill McKinley as its chief umpire.

The four teams (two American, one Japanese and one Latin American) played a few games before sparse crowds in Puerto Rico, then moved to Venezuela where the attendance was slightly better, but the league soon collapsed as no bills were getting paid, including food and lodging for the players. The American and Japanese embassies in Caracas had to intervene to get the players repatriated, and no one ever got paid. One historical note was that the league was the first "professional" circuit to use the designated hitter.
                      The Global League was a professional baseball league in 1969. The league was meant to feature six teams from five countries; the Dominican Republic, Japan, Puerto Rico, the United States, and Venezuela. The league folded after one month.
                      Last edited by stockblock; 03-27-2020, 12:56 AM.

Comment

I had heard of that, but really I didn't know much about it. There was also the proposed Continental League from William Shea (with Branch Rickey as the president). Shea was hoping to get another team in New York since the Dodgers and Giants left.

The league was announced in 1959 (same year as the American Football League) and proposed to begin play in 1961. It folded in 1960 before it even had a chance to play a game, and I can't help but wonder if the league was a bluff from Shea to get NL baseball back to New York as MLB awarded a NL franchise to New York (Mets). They also expanded to Houston, Los Angeles (Angels) and put a team in Washington to replace the original Senators/Nationals, who moved to Minnesota and became the Twins.

Comment

Originally posted by KDS View Post
                          I had heard of that, but really I didn't know much about it. There was also the proposed Continental League from William Shea (with Branch Rickey as the president). Shea was hoping to get another team in New York since the Dodgers and Giants left.

The league was announced in 1959 (same year as the American Football League) and proposed to begin play in 1961. It folded in 1960 before it even had a chance to play a game, and I can't help but wonder if the league was a bluff from Shea to get NL baseball back to New York as MLB awarded a NL franchise to New York (Mets). They also expanded to Houston, Los Angeles (Angels) and put a team in Washington to replace the original Senators/Nationals, who moved to Minnesota and became the Twins.
                          Here is where you can find the full story on the Global League which includes efforts to get people like Hank Aaron to jump

https://sabr.org/bioproj/topic/global-league

Comment

Originally posted by comfortably numb View Post
                            Back in da day, the L.A. Dodgers only broadcast their away games against the Giants.
                            Two of the most interesting hours of it was Vin Skully telling stories during the 'fog delay'.
                            Have any stories when the Giants games ran over,

Comment

Originally posted by stockblock View Post

Here is where you can find the full story on the Global League which includes efforts to get people like Hank Aaron to jump

https://sabr.org/bioproj/topic/global-league
                              Thank you! I will definitely take a read here.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X