Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never thought about those every ten year milestone birthdays until I hit 60---the rest were just numbers, but that one gave me pause.
    I'm not quite to the next one, but this week I get pretty close. Women look just as good as they ever did---but from a safer distance now.
    The golf drives don't go as far---but my ego doesn't prevent me from moving to the shorter tee boxes.
    The keyboard in the corner of the room never got as much use as planned---so much for learning 'A Whiter Shade of Pale'.
    And in these uncertain times I am untroubled about the future---but I plan to be there.
    But I digress---which is something I now seem to master.

So did certain birthdays have any sort of cosmic affect on any of you?
    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    ~~Groucho Marx
    I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Not yet, but I'm still four years from geezerdom

Fifty was supposed to be a big deal, but it just came and went and I felt no different. I still feel young, all considered.
    "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
    --Danny Noonan

Comment

When I heard myself speak “34” out loud I thought I became something I didn’t want to become - a middle aged adult.

Comment

I'm just a few shy of 60. Turning 30 was a big one for me. Something about the number made me feel old and like it was time to start acting more adult like.
        "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

Comment

I turn 60 in June. I hadn’t given it much thought except I now understand that I will be instantly admitted to the COVID-19 high risk group!

Comment

People seem to forget a big turning point. "21" legal drinking age, well, here in Illinois.

Comment

Originally posted by comfortably numb View Post

The golf drives don't go as far---but my ego doesn't prevent me from moving to the shorter tee boxes.
              Not about me, but my dad (now over 80) said the same thing, "if the rules, let me play from the senior, and now "super senior" tees, I'm going to take every advantage I can."

That said, he said 70 was when he started to notice a decline in physical strength. He also doesn't go up on ladders anymore. Any home maintenance involving ladders wait for my visits now.
              Last edited by Cri Cri; 03-26-2020, 10:51 AM.
              El Grillo Cantor

Comment

He's a smart man!

Comment

Yes. #0.

glad I am my age and not 0 again.
                  No signature required

Comment

Dec 24 they are all cosmic.
                    PAY NO MORE.
                    Be there or be square.

Comment

When I was young it seemed 30 was the most shocking decade to observe among friends with parties and comments. 20 was nothing since everyone was aiming for 21 anyway. 30 is the decade you begin to notice aging just like athletes. But the aging really doesn't register on a year to year basis that you can quantify and usually is acceptable until you hit 70. After 70 you can detect the year to year differences acutely and you realize the average age of dying is about 78. I'm not looking forward to 80 but the years are fast forwarding as they become less a percentage of your overall life.
                      Davydd (Anglicized Welsh name for David...that's all)
                      Certified BPT Taster Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
                      Long lost Speedway Sparkplug thrashing about in the deep woods of Minnesota

Comment

I think 65 will be the big one for me. Not because it is the age where you can begin to draw superannuation in New Zealand, but because it was the age my father died.

When I think where my fitness and health is now compared to where he was in his 60's there is no comparison. He'd already had a couple of strokes and had other issues as well by the time he was the age I am now.

But when your lifetime included the Great Depression and fighting (and smoking) your way through North Africa and Italy during WW2 I guess your outcomes are likely to be different than those of your son who has had all the advantages of growing up a "boomer".

His generation in the family was hit quite hard. Both his sisters died in their 50's, as did his younger brother. His big brother, who was a doctor serving with the army and air force through WW2, lived well into his 90's.

Comment

I'll be 70 in July, still find that hard to believe. Each decade seems to go faster than the previous one. My wife threw me a huge 40th, that is the one that bothered me for some reason.
                          “Church supper with grandma and granddad, lets go out and have ourselves the best time we ever had" - John Mellencamp

Comment

Originally posted by 45 Below View Post
                            I think 65 will be the big one for me. Not because it is the age where you can begin to draw superannuation in New Zealand, but because it was the age my father died.
                            Age 65 was a big milestone for me because my father died at 65 and 4 or 5 uncles on both my father's and mother's side never made it to 65 and heart disease was the culprit. Had I have gotten the healthcare of just a generation ago, I most likely would not be here today.
                            Davydd (Anglicized Welsh name for David...that's all)
                            Certified BPT Taster Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
                            Long lost Speedway Sparkplug thrashing about in the deep woods of Minnesota

Comment

My father died at 60, 3 weeks before my 14th birthday. When I turned 28 and realized I had lived more of my life without him than with it was quite a moment of reflection.
                              "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X