- 36% with central AC
    - 23% with 4 bedrooms or more

In 2017:

- Median space-per-resident: 971 sq ft
    - 93% with AC
    - 46% with 4 bedrooms or more

https://www.census.gov/construction/...c25ann2017.pdf

20200105_084018_HDR.jpg
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

20200109_131815_HDR.jpg
      "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Thats all she got. The 20 ft ladder is about a foot short of what i need to reach the light bulbs. I have to bring on the 24 footer today. The 12 foot step ladder was useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post
          Single-family homes, then and now

In early 1970s:

- Median space-per-resident: 507 sq ft
          - 36% with central AC
          - 23% with 4 bedrooms or more

In 2017:

- Median space-per-resident: 971 sq ft
          - 93% with AC
          - 46% with 4 bedrooms or more

https://www.census.gov/construction/...c25ann2017.pdf
          What's your point? We used to build solid, reasonable homes. Now everyone wants a cheaply built McMansion.

Comment

...built on small lots.
            "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
            ~~Groucho Marx
            I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

That’s a good point. Friends built and moved into their empty nester home on a postage stamp lot last year. Horrible craftsmanship and materials. But, it’s only a half-mil $ house.

Our house is a1964 model. It was built by the previous owner and without AC which it now has. No open concept great room, no huge en-suite. 3 Bedrooms, 2 fireplaces,
              But, we have 130’+ tall trees, privacy, hills.
              One of the best features, all brick, no siding-no painting.

Comment

These beauties are under construction where I use to live. They're building 30 of them on a 6 acre corner parcel. They built a private drive through the interior so the rears of the houses face the adjoining streets. One of our neighbors likes to sit on his front porch with a view of the Crafton Hills in the distance.

This is his view now:

81235849_10222372136960065_2944796931538288640_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ohc=vbc6AyKY20UAX9QMFTJ&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=c885636a0b30fbc6f0dbf327f018d555&oe=5E94F75A.jpg
                "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                ~~Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Unzerdog View Post
                  Thats all she got. The 20 ft ladder is about a foot short of what i need to reach the light bulbs. I have to bring on the 24 footer today. The 12 foot step ladder was useless.
                  Man I have a heights problem, F that. If I can't reach my lights on a 5-step ladder, I guess it'll be dim.
                  http://tuckgraphics.com

Comment

Before our third child, we were living in a 3 bedroom/2 bath home just like the one I grew up in. During this time, the house I grew up in came on the market, so I went to show my wife. I remember thinking how small the house was compared with my memory. The difference was the more modern home had a huge "great" room with high ceilings as opposed to the normal sized living room and den. The kitchen/keeping room was larger than our old kitchen/breakfast nook, and the biggest difference of all was the Master bedroom/master bath(with walk-in closet.)

So checking the assessor's website and using their data:

House I grew up in: 480 Sq. ft. per person
                    House I used to live in: 571 sq. ft. per person
                    House I live in now: 838 sq ft per person.
                    El Grillo Cantor

Comment

You can still find small houses if you want one,
                      Capture.JPG

Comment

We had a modest 1400 sq. ft. homethat had been built in the 1940s. Originally it was 2 bedrooms and one bath off the front bedroom. Then an owner added a third bedroom, but you had to walk thru the front bedroom to enter it. Then then an owner decided the rear bedroom needed a bath so he built one that was 5' x 6'. Then an owner enclosed the patio on the east side of the house of the house, making it into a service room and den.

it was quite the maze and made remodeling a challenge. We added another 300 sq. ft to the living room and opened the wall between it and the kitchen. The two front bedrooms + bath became one bedroom and bath. We enlarged the tiny bathroom by moving the shower into an oversized closet.

~~Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Unzerdog View Post
                          I know the feeling. Once a year, I have to change the light bulbs in my entryway, have to use an 18 foot ladder and stand on the top step and reach over. Scares hell out of me every time.

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Unger-977001-...91066948&psc=1

~~Groucho Marx

Comment

I have one of those, too. Won't work in the entryway because the light fixture and bulbs are inside a big dish style shade/diffuser.

For scale, that's a non-standard, 8' door. I have to lean the ladder up against the wall on the right, stand on the very top of the ladder with one arm wrapped around the ladder and the other reaching into that dish. 5 bulbs which means I have to spin it around to get to all of them. My gf says, 'Why don't you hire somebody to do that before you get hurt?' 'Because I am a MAN, dammit.'

82164193_10214892300396804_1504364887298539520_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ohc=QukfeVkvY_MAQkafHyFcn4c2FZzrgbtGQ8FZnfsDiMsvLNfCNjS6yjLPg&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=625b03742bf17e89a12c9754ec90d7b9&oe=5E9945E8.jpg

Here's more on that light fixture. About 10 years ago, I was in Seattle late on a Saturday afternoon before a football game and I was driving around the industrial area down near the stadium. I saw a sign for Seattle Lighting Warehouse Outlet and wandered in. As luck would have it, they had a set of 3 lights that were exactly what I'd been looking for. This one in the entryway, 2 a bit smaller to go over the dining room and breakfast nook tables. Salesman said some lady had ordered them for her new house being built on Mercer Island and didn't like them. Original price was over $5,000, sale price was $1,600. No sales tax because I'm an Alaska resident. Deal. Handed over my credit card and he rang it up. Once that was done, I said, 'Okay, now I need to arrange shipping ...' 'Sorry, buddy, this is cash and carry. We don't ship from here, you'll have to handle it. Oh and we close in 15 minutes ....'

The fixtures were all boxed up and I carried them out in the parking lot and looked at my rent a car, some little 4-door Dodge. No way they were going to fit. I started calling freight companies, figured maybe I could get someone to pick them up. Saturday, no dice.

The salesman came out the door and looked at me. 'Ya know, some folks have better luck if they take them out of the boxes and strap them into the seats....

I took the three fixtures out of the boxes and folded the boxes flat. Got the entryway fixture into the trunk, the other two in the back and passenger seats. Drove a couple of miles to Home Depot and bought some packing material, tape and markers. Drove to Alaska Airlines Air Cargo - open 7 days - and put everything back together in the parking lot. Took it in and they said, sure, we can ship those for $340, might take a bit.

Went to the game, Hawks won. Lights arrived on Tuesday. I installed the 2 smaller ones myself. hired an electrician to put up the big one. Never going to change them. Never.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X