Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

California to Allow College Athletes to be Paid for Their Name, Image and Likeness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California to Allow College Athletes to be Paid for Their Name, Image and Likeness

The Bill has passed and is awaiting the Governor's signature.

NCAA rules bar athletes from being compensated for use of their names, images or likenesses. The bill would not allow schools to directly pay athletes, but would permit students to receive compensation from outside sources — for example, from a video game company or for signing autographs or memorabilia.

Lawmakers supporting the bill provided examples of other situations in which college athletes are unable to earn money for their services that they said simply do not seem fair: a collegiate swimmer barred from teaching swim lessons, a volleyball player unable to put on a summer camp or a baseball player who can’t promote an autobiographical book.

“Forget shoe deals and video games, NCAA athletes can’t make a little money over the summer coaching youth sports, can’t promote their social media, can’t model athletic wear, can’t accept groceries or help with rent or equipment,” Assemblyman Kevin Kiley (R-Rocklin) said. “When a line in the sand is enforced obsessively, excessively and to the point of absurdity, that’s usually a sign it doesn’t belong there.”
    https://www.latimes.com/california/s...orsements-bill
    Mess with me and you mess with the whole trailer park.

This, taken nationwide, will end college sports as we know it. At the very biggest programs, boosters will pay players 100s of 1000s, if not millions, for a single autographed photo, and we will have minor league football and minor league basketball. Maybe 30 teams. Which is probably what ESPN wants anyway.

For everybody else, welcome to, whatever they want to call it, Division II. Fact is, nobody outside families and girlfriends cares a whit about non-Division I sports. Not that many care about the FCS (Division I-AA) or even the "group of 5".

For the 30 or so in the de facto minor league business, understand what you are getting into. How popular, really, is minor league baseball or hockey, or the G League? What makes you think the local minor league football or basketball team will be any different?

While they will have to shoulder the developmental burden (the minor leagues cost MLB about 4% of their total spending) the ultimate winners will be the NBA and NFL, the only football and basketball people will watch in such a scenario.

Comment

Thank God we are finally doing something for those poor oppressed athletes!
      Center Grove Trojans
      2008 5A Football State Champs
      2015 6A Football State Champs
      2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
      2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

This should help with recruiting.

Comment

it's about time that the athletes will be paid for making the NCAA billions.
          World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Comment

Looks like a lot of schools will have NCAA violations. Say goodbye to California based schools winning championships and finding schools to compete against.
            I don't have a profile because I think profiling is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
              If you are a student athlete and you want to be paid, don't play at an NCAA regulated school. If you want to race cars that don't comply with IndyCar rules, you don't get to race in IndyCar events. The rules are simple, the athletes make a choice to play at NCAA schools because they have done the best at advertising and displaying the talent. If another league came along that promised to pay players right out of high school, still few 5 star players would go since they are looking to play where they are most likely to be found and drafted into the NFL, where the real money is made.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post
                Thank God we are finally doing something for those poor oppressed athletes!
                you should watch some documentaries on this.... very many are poor.

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Comment

Originally posted by mikesorg View Post

If you are a student athlete and you want to be paid, don't play at an NCAA regulated school. If you want to race cars that don't comply with IndyCar rules, you don't get to race in IndyCar events. The rules are simple, the athletes make a choice to play at NCAA schools because they have done the best at advertising and displaying the talent. If another league came along that promised to pay players right out of high school, still few 5 star players would go since they are looking to play where they are most likely to be found and drafted into the NFL, where the real money is made.
                  In order to play in the NFL you are required to have 3 years outside of high school (so basically 3 years of college). So the rules are stacked against these athletes. Meanwhile the school and NCAA uses them to make billions, and 90% of these players won't make a dime playing sports outside of college. I used to be adamantly against paying college athletes, until I started researching. Take the weekend and do some research as well, and let me know your thoughts on Monday.

Comment

I have researched this. I think that players benefit from the organization just like the organization benefits from the players. The league has it's rules. Its a contract between the player and ncaa essentially. If a player doesn't want to abide by the rules of the governing body, they don't have to, they just cannot play in league games. It's very simple, very logical, and perfectly fine. If enough players decide they do not like how the ncaa rules, they are free to play in any other football league or, failing to find one, they can create an alternate.

Comment

The other big question is what happens to California universities and their relationship with the NCAA?
                      Does the NCAA simply say that because you are paying players, which is against our rules, then you may not compete against schools out side the state?
                      "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                      ~~Groucho Marx
                      I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

Right.
                        Center Grove Trojans
                        2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

you should watch some documentaries on this.... very many are poor.
                          No need. I have former players playing collegiately and they are doing very well. Not perfect but very well.

I have a kid at Stanford right now. $70K/year scholarship. He was red-shirted. If he doesn't go pro after this season that is a $350K scholarship not including the monthly stipend, free health care, free tutoring, and traveling the country for free.

Contrast that with my daughter's maid-of-honor who graduated in May with her PT degree (public universities) and $250K of student loans that she insists on paying off before having a family.
                          Center Grove Trojans
                          2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

They are already paid well for their time.

Comment

Originally posted by SamC View Post
                              This, taken nationwide, will end college sports as we know it.
                              No, it won't do that.

Originally posted by SamC View Post
                              At the very biggest programs, boosters will pay players 100s of 1000s, if not millions, for a single autographed photo...
                              Now you're just being silly.

"I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X