Knowing proper word usage is no longer a requirement for journalists

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knowing proper word usage is no longer a requirement for journalists

Every stinkin' day it gets worse. Yesterday I read an article where a reporter detailed how an escapee went "on the lamb". The proper words for the now common "peaked interest", and "tow the line" are beyond the knowledge of people I assume graduated from college with some sort of degree in their chosen field.

But the worst, the one that is like fingernails on a chalkboard, is squash. Dear God, make this go away. Almost every day there is an online usage of "squash" or "squashed". This is the header for a story on Fox News website posted today:

Alternate social media site rolls out new technique to squash extremist content without violating First Amendment

The correct word is quash.

quash
    /kwäSH/

verb
    1. reject or void, especially by legal procedure.
      "his conviction was quashed on appeal"
      synonyms: cancel, reverse, rescind, repeal, revoke, retract, countermand, withdraw, take back, rule against, disallow, overturn, override, overrule, veto, set aside, overthrow, repudiate, annul, nullify, declare null and void, invalidate, render invalid, negate, void, abrogate; More
      put an end to; suppress.
      "a hospital executive quashed rumors that nursing staff will lose jobs"
      synonyms: put an end to, stamp out, put a stop to, end, finish, get rid of, crush, put down, check, crack down on, curb, nip in the bud, thwart, frustrate, squash, quell, subdue, suppress, repress, quench, extinguish, stifle, abolish, terminate;

But today's journalists and reporters routinely talk about "squashed" subpoenas or arguments "squashed". It drives me crazy.

Lemme axe this is in a different way.

Comment

Originally posted by rrrr View Post
      Alternate social media site rolls out new technique to squash extremist content without violating First Amendment
      That's not a legal procedure. That's a 'technique'

The quality of today's online journalism annoys the heck out of me, but in this case the two are pretty interchangeable:

squash
      verb
      to press into a flat mass or pulp; crush:
      She squashed the flower under her heel.
      to suppress or put down; quash.
      to silence or disconcert (someone), as with a crushing retort or emotional or psychological pressure.
      to press forcibly against or cram into a small space; squeeze.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/squash
      https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/squash
      https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/quash
      "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

Something something internet something fake news something cost-cutting corporate buyouts something text/instant messaging/millennials something something something.

I'll still take the free press. Small town newspapers have been putting poor grammar to print for years, so that part doesn't bother me so much.

Comment

The word is “stinking”.
          "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
          ~~Groucho Marx
          I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

Originally posted by comfortably numb View Post
            The word is “stinking”.
            I don't get paid to write.

Comment

While working at The Chicago Tribune, I got into a discussion with an editor. There was a story about a company "constructing" a hole for some sort of reason. The editor insisted that "constructing" a hole was proper.

==

Comment

Originally posted by happyscrappy-t View Post

That's not a legal procedure. That's a 'technique'
                Be that as it may, as shown in the definition provided in the OP, the word "quash" is not limited to a legal context.
                "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Originally posted by comfortably numb View Post
                  The word is “stinking”.
                  True enough, but in this case the writer's use of stinkin' (a dialectal form of stinking) was done for effect and was done properly.
                  "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

I have found sarcasm to be excellent bait.
                    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                    ~~Groucho Marx

Comment

Yes, you've claimed that before. Sarcasm, by definition, has an element of humor. Yours never does.

Comment

You can't prove that.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                          Yes, you've claimed that before. Sarcasm, by definition, has an element of humor. Yours never does.
                          I live for your approval.
                          ~~Groucho Marx

Comment

Now you're just being sardonic.
                            "The Internet. Where fools go to feel important" - Sir Charles Barkley

Comment

Possibly..
                              ~~Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                              X