Most Popular National Parks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Popular National Parks

A list of 25. Very surprising is No. 25.

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...nd-yellowstone

==

I've been to all of them and camped in them with the exception of the two Hawaii national parks and the Gateway Arch I toured but not camped. I'm kind of surprised Denali did not make the list.
    Davydd (Anglicized Welsh name for David...that's all)
    Certified BPT Taster Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
    Long lost Speedway Sparkplug thrashing about in the deep woods of Minnesota

Comment

I've only been to four. Everglades, Petrified Forest, St Louis, and Grand Canyon. The Grand Canyon is literally stupefying. Impossible to over-emphasize what a mind-shattering sight it is.
      "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

There are many more that are just as good or better.
        This is a truly beautiful country from sea to shining sea.
        "We are all speeding toward our deaths at 60 minutes an hour." Sid Collins on Race Day, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by IndyDog View Post
          There are many more that are just as good or better.
          This is a truly beautiful country from sea to shining sea.
          There are 61 designated full National Parks and over 300 National and Historic Monuments. 25 of 61 is a decent list and it was most popular (visited), not scenic or best. Cuyahoga Valley NP also benefits from being in a populated area though I question it's National Park status. I suspect the newest national park, Indiana Dunes, with its proximity to Chicago will make that list soon, not to be confused with Indiana Dunes State Park which is more impressive.

Denali is the one I was surprised not making the list. At least in the summer it is as busy as most parks and one of the most impressive in that you can see the mountain from a long way. To put that in perspective, if Denali (Mt McKinley) was located in Chicago you would be able to see it from far away in Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Detroit, St. Louis and Cleveland to name a few cities.

Comment

They’ve completely re-vamped the museum at the bottom of the arch. I haven’t been yet but apparently it’s pretty impressive.
            Trump, he's one of the nicest, most decent human beings possibly ever to walk the planet..

Comment

I was unaware that the Gateway Arch had become a national park.

The article has some issues, among these are the idea that the NPS "still hasn't explained why" the Gateway Arch became a national park. Umm, because the Congress passed a bill and the President signed it, same as every other national park. While the NPS has some discression over other designations, national parks are a congressional matter. And there is the idea that people just happen to drive through the Great Smoky Mountains. Umm, unless you live directly in the very unpopulated towns on either side, you would not. The is no commercial traffic allowed in the park, and the road is really not suitable for just travelling across the country. I-40 bypassed the whole area to the north.

Anyway, I am more of a history guy than a nature guy, so I have not been to too many NPs. Badlands, Cuyahoga Valley, Everglades, Gateway Arch, Grand Canyon, Grand Teton, Great Smoky Mountains, Indiana Dunes, Mount Ranier, Shenandoah, Yellowstone. Probably been to more than a hundred historic sites and such.

Comment

Some parks are National Parks for their significant features. I think some national parks are political. Cuyahoga Valley is nothing special as far as national parks go but isn't it the only one in Ohio? I wonder about the Indiana Dunes too. I haven't been impressed and with no improvements or money in the park system (they have a 12 billion dollar deficit) I wonder how it would fare with the adjacent Indiana Dunes State Park which is much nicer and more convenient. It is one of my go to campgrounds when heading east. Voyagers in Minnesota pales next to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. It's the only national park in Minnesota. I think it is more national monument caliber.

Comment

you cannot see Denali from its entrance. 40 miles out of Anchorage you can. The park is a let down.
                  "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
                  body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
                  "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
                  >

Comment

I camped there for a week until the weather cleared so I could take a plane flight around it.
                    Looking UP at a mountain was pretty cool.
                    it was not a letdown.
                    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                    ~~Groucho Marx
                    I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

...and as Grand as the Canyon is,
                      for me it is Yosemite.
                      "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                      ~~Groucho Marx
                      I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

Originally posted by comfortably numb View Post
                        I camped there for a week until the weather cleared so I could take a plane flight around it.
                        Looking UP at a mountain was pretty cool.
                        it was not a letdown.
                        I've taken two flights around the mountain 2001 (out of Denali) and 2012 (out of Talkeetna.) The last time we landed on a glacier on the mountain.

Comment

I've been to 10 on the list, but far more outside this list. The U.S. truly is "America the Beautiful."

Comment

Originally posted by Niseguy View Post
                            you cannot see Denali from its entrance. 40 miles out of Anchorage you can. The park is a let down.
                            I can see Denali on my way to work most days. This is the view from the Coastal Trail, one of the nicest things about living in this town. I walk down there 4-5 nights a week, just gorgeous again today. 74 with a light breeze, just perfect.

128615510.GZucef2d.jpg

The park is a let down, overrun with tourist traps - Glitter Gulch - and access to the mountain is limited. There have been proposals to build a new road into the mountain to improve things but NPS has resisted.

Least popular park is Gates of the Arctic, way north of Fairbanks. There is a town there called Anaktuvuk Pass; Anak means, umm, poop and tuvuk means caribou so the town name is literally 'the place where caribou took a dump.'
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post
                              The park is a let down, overrun with tourist traps - Glitter Gulch - and access to the mountain is limited. There have been proposals to build a new road into the mountain to improve things but NPS has resisted.
                              You can't stop what is outside the park. Most National Parks are that way. Denali is nothing compared to Great Smokey Mountains as far as endless tourist traps. As for getting into the park you can't drive but only so far and then you have to take a tour bus. It's a wilderness. Do you want to have endless cars stopped by people getting out and trying to stupidly feed the bears like Great Smokey and Yellowstone? We had a grizzley bear we watched coming down a mountain side eating berries and then rubbing its side on the tour bus. They can use better transportation in the park. When I was there they were using decrepit old school buses. NPS hasn't resisted. They are running a 12 billion deficit and can't maintain the parks.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X