• Show
Clear All

• Wow the US women win 13-0 for the most lopsided win in World Cup History

USA 13 Thailand 0.....

They outshot Thailand 39-2

A missed extra point, or was it a touchdown and two field goals
    El Grillo Cantor

Comment

They showed them celebrating the 13th goal as if it was an overtime winner for the cup ... sad

Comment

Originally posted by West View Post
        They showed them celebrating the 13th goal as if it was an overtime winner for the cup ... sad
        Nah. It's international competition at the highest level, and some of them getting their first WC goals. Celebrate all they want.

​​​​​

Comment

And of course many in the media are whining about the team celebrating goals during the total domination of another team in the flipping World Cup.

If an athlete is scoring their first point at that level - celebrate all you want! If an athlete is celebrating a record, or tying a record - celebrate even more.

I hope they win the next game 26-0 & celebrate twice as hard.

Comment

Hope they can handle the tears when they loose 30-0

Comment

If "goals scored" is a tiebreaker that actually comes into play on occasion, you have to expect scores like this. So they should definitely keep trying to score.

But I'm always in favor of acting like you've been there before, even if you haven't.
              No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Hope they can handle the tears when they loose 30-0
                So it took all of 12 hours to find something dumber than what I proclaimed to be the dumbest thing I'd read all month.

Never change, Tracksters.

Comment

It could have been MUCH WORSE. They missed at least 5 shots that should have gone into the back of the net. Plus the keeper did make some remarkable saves that I thought were going in. The main problem was not the keeper - it was the defense and turnovers.
                  quote:
                  "It is sad that open-wheel racing has become a buy a ride situation, but it is what it is."

Comment

Originally posted by jkeener24 View Post

So it took all of 12 hours to find something dumber than what I proclaimed to be the dumbest thing I'd read all month.

Never change, Tracksters.

All your posts are dumb

Comment

All your posts are dumb
                      Haha, maybe so.

The women ain't getting beat 30-0 anytime in the next 20 years, though.

Edit to add that your point on a more general level is fine. They probably have put a bigger target on their backs and should be prepared for that. I'm sure they're aware and ready.

​​​​​I don't think I would celebrate like that when the game got out of hand, but I've never played at the World Cup, so who knows. It doesn't bother me that they did.
                      Last edited by jkeener24; 06-12-2019, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Shouldn't there be a minimum standard of competence to make it to this point? Maybe there just isn't enough parity for that?

If "goals scored" is a tiebreaker that actually comes into play on occasion, you have to expect scores like this.
                        One reason I think that's a poor tiebreaker.
                        Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the Keenest of them all?

Comment

I am not, in general, a fan of running up the score. In high school basketball, when we got up by 20 or more, the coach would take the press off, no fast breaks, had to have at least 3 passes before a shot. Pulled a starter after he picked up a ball slapped into the backcourt, took three dribbles and scored on a layup. We once played a badly undermanned team from a small village that only dressed 7 kids. Our starters only played 5 minutes, went up 16-0 and we immediately went to the far end of the bench. When a third player of theirs fouled out and left them with 4 on the floor, he pulled one of ours so we had 4 as well. Still won by over 40, same story the next night, did not schedule them again.

Comment

Originally posted by StatMan View Post
                            Shouldn't there be a minimum standard of competence to make it to this point? Maybe there just isn't enough parity for that?

One reason I think that's a poor tiebreaker.
                            If they advance in the World Cup, they must have had some ability.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post
                              I am not, in general, a fan of running up the score. In high school basketball, when we got up by 20 or more, the coach would take the press off, no fast breaks, had to have at least 3 passes before a shot. Pulled a starter after he picked up a ball slapped into the backcourt, took three dribbles and scored on a layup. We once played a badly undermanned team from a small village that only dressed 7 kids. Our starters only played 5 minutes, went up 16-0 and we immediately went to the far end of the bench. When a third player of theirs fouled out and left them with 4 on the floor, he pulled one of ours so we had 4 as well. Still won by over 40, same story the next night, did not schedule them again.
                              Jim, I understand that. But the goals are a tiebreaker in World Cup. Maybe the PTB will change the rules now. We should also note that the USA coach did make her allowed substitutions.
                              quote:
                              "It is sad that open-wheel racing has become a buy a ride situation, but it is what it is."

Comment

Working...
                              X