Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I go in search of Quartz

The internet is a wonderful thing.
    With a list from YELP in tow, I headed of to price quartz countertops.
    First stop was a two story store/office complex, and the business in question was now an empty window.
    Second stop, as the GPS indicated I was arriving, was a beautiful new Car Max dealership.
    Third stop was a counter top business. The young man was helpful. Took my information and gave me a quote.

But now what to do?
    Fourth stop was Lowe's. Nobody was there when I arrived, but I saw all these 10-7s noted on the desk calendar, so I stuck around until the scheduled employee arrived.
    And across the parking lot was my fifth stop, a small local company, whose business plan is to import truckloads of ready to assemble cabinets and and sheets of granite an quartz. But they don't make up your countertops in a factory---they set up shop in your yard and cut,sand and polish the product outside your door.

The results?
    #3 $4k
    #4 $5.1k
    #5 #2.1k
    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    ~~Groucho Marx
    I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Why quartz ?
    "Lead,follow or get the hell out of the way!

Lee Iacocca

Comment

Less porous than granite. Also you can put hot objects on it unlike some man made counter tops.
      "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
      ~~Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by comfortably numb View Post
        Less porous than granite. Also you can put hot objects on it unlike some man made counter tops.
        I take it that Arya specified this ? I don't see a lackey making this call !

Lee Iacocca

Comment

No, the lackey like quartz.
          However, Mrs. Numb dictated the color
          ~~Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by comfortably numb View Post
            No, the lackey like quartz.
            However, Mrs. Numb dictated the color
            Meaning......yes dear. What ever you say dear!

Lee Iacocca

Comment

It might be cheaper in the gallon size.
              "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H.L. Mencken

Comment

I’d go with the yard job, just to be able to watch. And if the muck it up they’re right there to fix it.
                Is this a pretty straight run without too many joints? The Lawn Boys won’t have a large water jet for cutting and probably will be cutting with abrasive blades and some water to keep things cool. Harder to keep a nice edge for the seam. But hey, it’s 2 grand. The quartz sheets from the other guys might be coming from overseas too BTW.
                I don’t know that I would just, not, consider the yard guys. Can you see some of their work?
                I have been toured through the Cambria fab shop in Indiana. Lots of nice equipment and tooling and trained staff. Still, there is hand work involved that looks a little primitive.

A number of of years ago I went to Mexico City to oversee an installation and teach their crew how to install our furniture and fixtures in their entertainment centers. Kinda stunning. The guy fabricating the steel tube handrail for the staircase had a hack saw, some files and a welder. He would spend hours and hours making one cut through the 5” diameter tube. He did 30-40 joints. But it looked great.
                The carpenters had a homemade table saw they adjusted by knocking the legs up and and down til the blade height was where they wanted it. They made the doors, the office desks, all the window trim and millwork from scratch right there. It was beautifully done when they finished.
                So maybe the yard guys do the same.

I left with some great stories of the differences between the US workers and job sites and the crew in Mexico City. I could use a few pages. Oh, and the Army and the generals everyday, the secret service guys all night, the police actions shutting down my deliveries, it was cool.

Comment

IMO, the non-porous nature of quartz and glass make them a much better choice than granite for countertops. Granite is great for show, but if you actually use your kitchen then man-made is the way to go.
                  I wish I knew - Dennis "Cutty" Wise

When its game time, it's pain time! - Terrible Terry Tate

Comment

Working...
                  X