No announcement yet.

Notre Dame Cathedral--It Is On Fire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The building could be rebuilt. Even as detailed and ornate as it was, a new structure could duplicate every dimension and in fact be stronger and safer- even the wood appearance and gargoyles I am sure have been 3D-scanned and could be fabricated to fool all but the most familiar experts, on the surface.

The art within, alas, is perhaps all gone. The icons, the Holy objects, also are likely gone. I don't remember if it holds bones or crypts- also irreplaceable, of course. The fixtures, the furniture, the drapery, tapestries, gold, silver, jewels, if any, may be desecrated.

What then will remain of the spirit?
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

Exterior yesterday:

D4Nr07UXsAAwfL1.jpg:large.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Turn13 View Post
        The building could be rebuilt. Even as detailed and ornate as it was, a new structure could duplicate every dimension and in fact be stronger and safer- even the wood appearance and gargoyles I am sure have been 3D-scanned and could be fabricated to fool all but the most familiar experts, on the surface.

The art within, alas, is perhaps all gone. The icons, the Holy objects, also are likely gone.
        A priest from Notre Dame Cathedral reports that all the art work and the holy relics contained in the cathedral has been saved.

Comment

Good news! I didn't date hope.

That must have been a heroic effort.
          "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"

Brian's Wish

Comment

I know at least a couple of the members here have visited Paris lately. Not sure if any members are there now.

Brian's Wish

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post
              Exterior yesterday:

D4Nr07UXsAAwfL1.jpg:large.jpg
              Where is the scaffolding?

Edit: oh wait when I blew that up you can see the scaffolding around the base of the steeple.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
              I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

Thank the Lord for (apparently) no loss of life.
                As for the structure, they'll be lucky to preserve the stone. The rest appears lost.
                EDIT--just saw the earlier post about the artwork and relics. I'm wondering how much of that was removed before the renovation started...
                "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
                --Danny Noonan

Comment

I love Paris and especially Notre Dame, having toured the cathedral a number of times and sometimes just sitting in the square in front simply to enjoy the majesty of the structure. It is heart breaking to see the destruction and to know that even if some of the art was saved, the stained glass and the interior architecture must have been destroyed. Terrible terrible occurrence !
                  The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable : John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I'm actually beginning to be impressed with the scaffolding. I thought it would have collapsed a long time ago.

Comment

Parisians & tourists are standing along the River Seine singing hymns & folk songs with their smart phones held up recording the scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Capua View Post
                        Parisians & tourists are standing along the River Seine singing hymns & folk songs with their smart phones held up recording the scene.
                        Something that occurred to me very quickly after I started looking at videos of the fire online; there's already many many more times the number of home videos of this than there ever was on 9-11.

Seems like that just happened but it was already a very different world.
                        Live like Dave

Comment

I was just there 2 months ago - in fact it will be 2 months tomorrow that I visited Notre Dame. Paris (and Le Mans) was truly amazing, but Notre Dame was the highlight for me. I was simply in awe of the engineering and artistry. This is a major gut punch. "IF" the vaulted ceilings survived, it 'might' be salvageable - but it will never be the same in my lifetime. I am so glad I got to see it - it was a bucket list thing for me.
                          "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

I was surprised to read that it is the most-visited tourist spot in Paris, almost twice as many as the Eiffel Tower. The stonework will likely be salvageable, but the reports make it sound like it could be decades before the cathedral is back together. 900 years of history gone in hours.

Comment

I would not be surprised if some poor Parisan construction worker takes his life within the next 72 hours...
                              "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                              ~~Groucho Marx
                              “I've found that Prayers work best when you have big players.” ~~famous college coach
                              How do dragons blow out candles?

Comment

D4OocXeX4AEmFcb.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X