Vintage Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Audio

Got a wild hair the other day and decided to find my old Marantz amp. This after stumbling across various websites dedicated to vintage sound equipment. Turns out that the '70s are considered some kind of Golden Age for amps, and mine is one that people look for. Relatively scarce as well, it seems. After moving the winter boots, bags of wrapping paper, crap the yard sale missed, having two rolls of carpet fall on my head and bust my cool Craftsman light, I wrestled that rascal out from under the stairs.

By God, it's heavy and old, and I like it. Model 1070. That signature blue light powered me through many a hazy college evening, ran my first jury rigged "home theatre", and did yeoman work reproducing the indifferent sounds of my first son's teen years.

Now it's going to be the center piece of a little office stereo. Probably use this Denon CD player that was keeping it company in the dark. But I need some suitable bookshelf speakers that can do justice to the "rich, warm, full sound" of the "push-pull circuitry" that the articles tell me to expect. It'd also be fun to find a model 112 tuner to go with it.

Anyone into this stuff, or have experience getting the best from a digital-analog technology fusion? This could be the start of a whole new interest around the rr house.

I still run my 1977-78 circa Kenwood KA-9100 integrated amp. 26 years old and never a failure.

BTW, there was a company in the late 70's-early 80's called ESS. They made speakers using Heil Air motion speakers which acted as tweeter/midrange. They were the most incredible speakers(for the money) I ever heard. This is when I worked a short time for the now defunct CMC stereo company.
    Trump, he's one of the nicest, most decent human beings possibly ever to walk the planet..

Comment

I remember CMC and ESS-Heil speakers as well. Thought about vintage speakers as well as components, but they don't age well. It'll have to be something new, small, and efficient. I always begin by looking at B&W and going from there.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X