What's the Point of IROC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the Point of IROC?

Why run a series that is supposed to be an automotive all-star series when the IROC car heavily favors one type of driver?

Why not have a stock car at Talladega an Indycar at Indy a sprint car at (you pick) and a sports car at (you pick)?

It would make it a much better indicator of overall talent.

Or just make them drive this one.
    I am blessed to have witnessed "The Greatest Spectacle In Racing" 50 times!

Comment

Better yet, pull some of the old roadsters out of the museum and have them race those.

That will solve everything!
      Chicago Blackhawks done didn't do it again!

Comment

"Better yet, pull some of the old roadsters out of the museum and have them race those.

That will solve everything!"

Is this a poll?
        Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

Comment

The IROC of 20 years ago, as an original concept series, was a fairly good deal. Originally, you had a good mix of F1, Indy, SCCA/IMSA, and NASCAR drivers... and these weren't second rate shoes, either: Roonnie Peterson, Richard Petty, George Folmer, Mark Donohue. Perhaps most importantly, IROC ran on road courses as well as ovals.

By the mid 80s it was difficult for the F1 guys to run the series and they were few and far between. The Indy, NASCAR and sports car drivers were still there, as was the equal mix (2/2) of oval and road courses.

By 1990, CART and NASCAR drivers almost exclusively filled the IROC fields, with an occassional Al Holbert type thrown in for good measure. And ovals dominated the schedule over road courses 3/1. In a couple of years, Watkins Glen would be dumped and road racing would become a thing or IROC's past.

Ironically, with the road races gone, IROC appeared to actively seek drivers from a variety of series, keeping the sporty car guys in the fold and bringing in Steve Kinser from the WoO.

Gradually, however, IROC become dominated by NASCAR drivers running on NASCAR tracks. In 1998, 8 of the 12 drivers were NASCAR drivers - and they swept the top 5 in points. IN 1999 they had 9 of 12 finished 9 in the top 10. The remaining 3 drivers were from the IRL. Sporty car folks were gone.

Things have equaled out a bit the past couple of years with a couple of more IRL drivers and "The Dude".

Nevertheless, IROC is nothing more than a NASCAR support series these days.

Ideally, I'd like to see Schumacher, Montoya, Hornish, DeFerran, Gordon, Stewart, Kinser, Yeley, a couple of LeMans guys, a couple of Drag Racers... run 6 race series: Stock cars at Daytona, Indy cars at MIS, F1 cars at Long Beach, ProStocks at IRP, ALMS cars at Elkhart Lake... something like that.

Only then can we talk about a true International Race of Champions.
          Dave Steele Rocks!!!

Comment

Check out this list...

Who does NOT belong there!
            Dave Steele Rocks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by manson
              Check out this list...

Who does NOT belong there!
              Kyle Petty yeah, what a champ!

I watched the race today and now I know why I never got wowed over an IROC race. There's NO racing going on. It was worse than a C^RT "race." Boooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrinnng!

Do away with IROC, it's a yawner, unless they try this:

Originally posted by cdkief: Why not have a stock car at Talladega an Indycar at Indy a sprint car at (you pick) and a sports car at (you pick)?
              http://brianswish.trackforum.com/brianswish_main.htm/

Comment

I was thinking of Don Whittington.
                Dave Steele Rocks!!!

Comment

I was thinking maybe
                  D.Allison
                  G.Bodine
                  N.Bonnett
                  J.Fangio II
                  H.Gant
                  R.Guerrero
                  D.Marcus
                  S.Marlin
                  K.Petty
                  B.Unser

Although I could be wrong with a couple of them.

Comment

Originally posted by manson
                    I was thinking of Don Whittington.
                    Somebody has to host the party. . .
                    "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

They have invited an NHRA guy for next year.

Why is CART no longer involved? I thought that GdF was in IROC just recently, but I know there've had no CART drivers for the past two seasons. I think it'd be pretty neat to have someone like PT out there, talkin' his snizzle and applesauce with the stock car guys.
                      One driver's "fuel strategy" is another driver's "speed up or we will park you!"

Comment

The calls have been ever the same. Reality is that IROC can't pay for those interesting, but unrealistic ideas. In fact they can be happy if they're around for 2004. I assume no one would be happier to put in some more variety than Jay Signore, but going with NASCAR is the only way to go right now.

Seemed to me no CART driver except Kenny Brack really cared about IROC. De Ferran was invited, but got out after his testing injury during the winter at Phoenix in 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by rev-ed

Somebody has to host the party. . .

I was thinking Bobby Rahal,,,, I didn't see Don's name...

Don was one talented guy,,, big talent in fact.... Kind of a waste, in fact a big waste of natural talent... But a BIGGER embarrassment to the Speedway.... Some or one of it's darkests days,,, or so I always thought, anyway...

In an airplane, he was a great shoe, just a ton of natural talent, and even more courage.... In one 18 month period he bought 5 million dollars worth of Warbirds, and that's when half a million would buy you a top notch P-51...

Never did a day in the can, as far as I know, Bill did, and so did Gary Levzits, not sure about Dale either... He was tha baby brother, not much talent there.... Billy was an Also Ran, but a ton of fun, Don wasn't much fun, pretty scary guy to be around, in fact...
                          Last edited by bigcheese; 08-02-2003, 08:39 PM.
                          Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Comment

What good is adding a NHRA driver if you don't run on a 1/4 mile at least once? Give the poor guy a chance!
                            Dave Steele Rocks!!!

Comment

Pete Halsmer! He was my guy, but I don't know how he qualified for IROC...?

Ok, now who's the best driver that has raced "over here" that isn't on the list?

My answer: JPM

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X