notes from the track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• notes from the track

went out to the track today. not a bad outing. the weather was cloudy with spotty sunlight. the crowd on hand seemed much larger than the pole day crowd at the 500. one thing I noiced was how many people were wearing pants? uh, duh, it's 90 degrees out so let's wear pants.

the tenderloins were great I had one and I'm saving room for another later this evening.

stopped in to see the museum and watched the history of the speedway film in their theatre. wow, what an awesome film. they talked about all the legendary names who have raced on the bricks. amazing what Tony Hulman did with the track once he bought it from Rickenbacker. spoke about Gaston Chevrolet's triumph, and how Ray Harroun used the very first rear-view mirror (because other teams were complaining that he'd be a safety hazard on the track, because he didn't have a copilot .... p.s. some things never change ) the film also mentioned that Tony Hulman wanted to create a road course within the oval (interesting). mentioned differing styles of racegear the drivers would wear. interesting to see how much grime would cover their faces when they took their goggles off afterwards (this part gave me that great feeling inside about man and machine and how true to the sport our early drivers were). watched sullivans spin and win (truly awesome driver). it took six months for Hulman Sr. to clean the track up and get it back to racing shape. great film overall takes about 30 minutes to watch and it's well worth the time spent.

as I was walking around the museum you could feel the greatness of the place and it brought back so many awesome memories of mine. it sure is great to be from Indianapolis and to have grown up near this spectacular racecourse. if you've got the time check out the museum!!!!!!
    http://brianswish.trackforum.com/brianswish_main.htm/

You are right about being at the track. I am from Illinois and whenever I am in Indy even in the dead of winter, I always go to the track. I just cant, for the life of me, get thrilled about NASCAR turning laps at 50 seconds. But you are right. The museum and the film are worth the money. Now if I just had about $500.00 for the pictures from the second floor I would be set!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Berg
      Now if I just had about $500.00 for the pictures from the second floor I would be set!!!
      yeah ... me and you both would be up there with arms piled high. gotta love that place too.

I had a suggestion I failed to mention. most of you oldtimers like eagle104 , know that the Army trained within the grounds during WWII. I think it would be nice to see on the admission fees sign a discounted Armed Forces pass through the museum. What do you all think? It's not about saving $3 but more the fact that the Armed Forces has a history with the track several layers thick and it would be nice to see the track honor these guys/gals. sidenote: Dollywood in Gatlingurg gives 50% off their tickets, and we're talking about DOLLYWOOD, if they can I know the greatest racecourse in the world can!! Eddie Rickenbacker was a WWII Fighter Ace, so atleast give the Air Force discounted tickets. don't you oldtimers say it was the Army Air Corps either.

Comment

If Pole Day for the 500 was the day before the race,there would be 100,000 there just from the people camped around the track.

Comment

Originally posted by bikermike
          If Pole Day for the 500 was the day before the race,there would be 100,000 there just from the people camped around the track.
          This is quite true!
          Have a very blessed day!

Comment

Originally posted by bikermike
            If it was 50 degrees and a 35 to 40 mile per hour wind today, I suspect the crowd may have been different. Pole day has changed, no doubt, but the weather this year, and for several years has been increadibly nasty.

Dizz Fan
            "There's no doubt he (Herta) spun on purpose," said Dan Wheldon, …one of the Andretti Green Racing mechanics confessed he was "ashamed" that his team resorted to those tactics.

"It's not my fault" ~ Danica

Comment

?????

one thing I noiced was how many people were wearing pants? uh, duh, it's 90 degrees out so let's wear pants.
              What exactly would you suggest they wear? Kilts?

If you are suggesting that possibly more of the crowd should have been wearing shorts, I beg to differ. Far too many Americans are wearing shorts now.....

In any case it was not 90 degrees today. Low 80's to a mid afternoon temp of 78......

Comment

Re: ?????

Originally posted by chrisg
                What exactly would you suggest they wear? Kilts?

If you are suggesting that possibly more of the crowd should have been wearing shorts, I beg to differ. Far too many Americans are wearing shorts now.....

In any case it was not 90 degrees today. Low 80's to a mid afternoon temp of 78......
                ok so you picked this small line out of the whole paragraph eh? i guess you must of been wearing pants huh?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X