• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlaw Cashless Stores.

Story.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...ashless-stores

==

I support this even though I hardly carry cash these days. Not everyone uses cards for all their purchases, and I can see this business model creeping into other markets. Plus I sometimes pay in cash bc I don’t want my wife seeing what I purchased (no, nothing bad, usually Christmas gifts or surprises for her), or some gas stations offer cash discounts.
    Semi-related, I was at Costco and they have installed kiosks at their food station. You order from the kiosk and take your receipt up to the register. Faster service sure, but I didn’t notice anywhere to deposit cash. I’m guessing you could still go up to the registers (they’re still there) but I’m not sure bc I didn’t try.
    Bottom line, I don’t like a totally cashless society.
    "We named the dog Indiana"

Comment

Couple of thoughts here.

- If by "low income" they mean "life welfarist" then, well, most forms of welfare gifts are given in the form of debit cards and have been for over a decade. The feds did away with actual food stamps 20 years ago. The big issue among scofflaws seems to be how to turn restricted gifts (food stamps, WIC, housing voucher credits, etc.) into sweet spendable cash, not the other way around.

- If by "low income" they mean "people that don't make a lot of money", well, I do not know of a person, and I know a lot of folks who don't really make a lot, who gets a physical pay check. Everybody gets direct deposit, no choice in the matter.

- This is a part of a whole lot of reading I see in publications I generally trust, including the WSJ, which bemoan the "un-banked". Maybe this is a real thing in other parts of the country, but there are 40 banks and bank-ish things (credit unions, savings banks, etc.) in my town that will let you have an account for a trivial deposit, most are $50, with no fees if you follow the rules (i.e. don't bounce checks). Maybe this isn't so in other places, but it certainly is here and many other places I know of.

- All that said, the only place I know of that does not take cash is my dry cleaners, and they just started that maybe two months ago.

- While I carry cash for security, and there is a lot of conspiracy theorist end of the world type stuff you can get to in a cash free distopia, I use my air miles credit card for everything. Going to LA for free in June.
      Last edited by SamC; 03-08-2019, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Some pastry shop in Columbus, Ohio my wife wanted to try when we there--was cashless. Even had a sign saying so. The eyeroll I got when I instinctively went for cash even though I plainly saw the sign was priceless. They used an iPad to take everyone's credit card purchase.

Months later, at an ice cream place here in Olathe (Silas and Maddy's, it's incredible), I noticed they took payment through an iPad too.
        "Oh," I said, "are you cashless?"
        "NO!" the kid behind the counter said, "we'd go out of business!"
        "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
        --Danny Noonan

Comment

The barbershop my wife & I own here in indy is CASH ONLY.

Comment

I think I read/saw somewhere over this winter that the Tampa Devil Rays will be cashless this season at the ballpark

Comment

I suspect if the Philly ordinance banning cashless stores goes up the ladder to court challenges, it will be overturned.

For many years, I was under the mistaken idea that refusing to accept cash for goods and services was prohibited by federal law (legal tender for all debts, etc.)...turns out I was wrong.
              https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm

Is it legal for a business in the United States to refuse cash as a form of payment?
              Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," states: "United States coins and currency [including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks] are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above is a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person, or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether to accept cash unless there is a state law which says otherwise.
              BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Would cashless stores put an end to people knocking over liquor stores, 7-11s, Circle K's, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by rodneyh View Post
                  Would cashless stores put an end to people knocking over liquor stores, 7-11s, Circle K's, etc.?
                  I'd be shocked if any liquor store would go cashless. I have to believe they get plenty of business from people who do not want their purchases on record.
                  Eff LBD!

Comment

Originally posted by rodneyh View Post
                    Last summer I visited a gas station while on vacation in SoCal that only accepted debit cards. No cash and no credit.
                    Mess with me and you mess with the whole trailer park.

Comment

Originally posted by m500 View Post
                      I think I read/saw somewhere over this winter that the Tampa Devil Rays will be cashless this season at the ballpark
                      I cannot imagine how much cash they lose via employees.

Comment

Originally posted by m500 View Post
                        So now if you are eight seats in and want a hot dog, you have to pass your phone or a credit card to the vendor in the aisle? What could go wrong with that?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post
                          So now if you are eight seats in and want a hot dog, you have to pass your phone or a credit card to the vendor in the aisle? What could go wrong with that?
                          Seems like a really good question. Though at a Devil Rays game, you probably don't have that many people to pass it by.
                          Eff LBD!

Comment

When cash is outlawed, only outlaws will have cash.
                            BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post
                              Oh it's much worse than that. My understanding is you can buy Rays Bucks to use instead of your card. Fake money to take the place of real money for the seating area.
                              Mess with me and you mess with the whole trailer park.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X