Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Three Things to do in Indianapolis

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Top Three Things to do in Indianapolis

    We travel regionally for games and tourneys for soccer. This weekend we're coming down to Indianapolis - Friday afternoon - Sunday night.

    We'll have the afternoon on Friday and Friday night to poke around the city and generally when we travel, we always take in "other stuff" non-soccer related to make it more of an experience for my kids.

    Thinking the IMS Museum but what else?

    Also - any good ethnic places to eat? We like to experience different food when we can - or get a vibe on some local hole in the walls.

    Thanks in advance!

  • #2
    If you have kids the Children's Museum https://www.childrensmuseum.org/ is nice, you also might take in Sarah Fisher's https://www.sikarting.com/
    I am blessed to have witnessed "The Greatest Spectacle In Racing" 50 times!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Indy Red View Post
      If you have kids the Children's Museum is nice, you also might take in Sarah Fisher's https://www.sikarting.com/
      Indoor karting is perfect!

      My little one is 13 so not sure about the Childrens Museum - but we have a blast at the City Museum in St Louis this Fall!

      Thanks!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Indy Red View Post
        If you have kids the Children's Museum https://www.childrensmuseum.org/ is nice, you also might take in Sarah Fisher's https://www.sikarting.com/
        Side note--in KC, at Union Station, we have something called Science City. It's meant to be a hands-on place for kids to learn fundamental scientific concepts, and since its start in 1999, it's gotten really good at it. Big difference from the early days when I took my son there and last year when I took my grandson there, for sure.

        I only bring it up because when we were there, I overheard someone telling another parent "This is really good, but have you been to the Children's Museum in Indianapolis? It's FANTASTIC!"

        And she proceeded to brag up the Children's Museum left, right, up, down, and sideways. I couldn't help but feel a little hometown pride at that
        Last edited by skypigeon; 03-05-2019, 08:52 PM.
        "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
        --Danny Noonan

        Comment


        • #5
          One thing about the children's museum. Although it is fantastic and folks travel great distances to come see the renowned facility - it can take a long time to get through it and you still probably won't see it all.
          i think of it for younger kids too, but, haven't been in awhile.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by goner View Post
            One thing about the children's museum. Although it is fantastic and folks travel great distances to come see the renowned facility - it can take a long time to get through it and you still probably won't see it all.
            i think of it for younger kids too, but, haven't been in awhile.
            I was wondering about both so thanks for the info!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by goner View Post
              One thing about the children's museum. Although it is fantastic and folks travel great distances to come see the renowned facility - it can take a long time to get through it and you still probably won't see it all.
              i think of it for younger kids too, but, haven't been in awhile.
              We have two young sons and a yearly membership.....it's fun for all ages. Friday afternoon shouldn't be too busy. They close at 5pm though. Sat/Sun will be packed. They have a cool exhibit called American Pop which has all types of pop culture displays (clothing, games, shoes, comics) from different decades. Older kids and adults will love it. The space exhibit too is also fun for older kids. The Sports exhibit just opened last year and it is awesome....but it won't be open (the outdoor part) until March 16th. There's an indoor section though. Bummer too bc there is a scale IMS track out there, several different fields (football, soccer, baseball, etc), even a hockey rink. There is a new Star Trek exhibit as well.
              As an adult I always find myself entertained, and I think the museum is fun for older kids too.

              As for food, there are tons of options downtown. Fogo De Chao is great, a Brazlian steakhouse with plenty of food for the price, but it's not super cheap. I'll let others tell you about food options bc I'm out of the loop food-wise.

              I also second Speedway Indoor Karting, that would be a fun time. The Dallara factory would be fun, maybe not for the kids though.
              "We named the dog Indiana"

              Comment


              • #8
                Fogo is great but its a chain.

                Breakfast: Long's Donuts

                Lunch: Workingman's Friend for cheeseburgers (must be 21 though) If you have kids go to John's Famous Stew. Try the tenderloin and of course the stew. Another great lunch stop is Shapiro's Delicatessen.

                Dinner: St Elmo's is legendary.

                Lots of cool stuff around the track and on Main Street just south of the track. Circle Center Mall is decent but be gone before dark. Children's Museum is typically named the best in the country.
                Center Grove Trojans
                2008 5A Football State Champs
                2015 6A Football State Champs
                2011 Track State Champs

                Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post
                  Fogo is great but its a chain.

                  Breakfast: Long's Donuts

                  Lunch: Workingman's Friend for cheeseburgers (must be 21 though) If you have kids go to John's Famous Stew. Try the tenderloin and of course the stew. Another great lunch stop is Shapiro's Delicatessen.

                  Dinner: St Elmo's is legendary.

                  Lots of cool stuff around the track and on Main Street just south of the track. Circle Center Mall is decent but be gone before dark. Children's Museum is typically named the best in the country.
                  Thanks! Last game is 430PM so we are aiming for St Elmo's Sunday night.

                  I have a DM to our Team Admin too see if the entire team wants to kart - if not we will for sure! My kid is as tall as a 16 year old so despite the fact that he's 13 I think I can sneak him in on the 40mph karts.

                  You got me real interested in Workingman's Friend now! Why 21?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ajax View Post
                    You got me real interested in Workingman's Friend now! Why 21?
                    Its basically one big wide open room and they sell alcohol. State law requires a 3' wall separating the bar from and area permitting kids. Yes, its dumb but thems the rules.



                    Center Grove Trojans
                    2008 5A Football State Champs
                    2015 6A Football State Champs
                    2011 Track State Champs

                    Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post
                      Its basically one big wide open room and they sell alcohol. State law requires a 3' wall separating the bar from and area permitting kids. Yes, its dumb but thems the rules.



                      Damn!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Ajax View Post
                        Indoor karting is perfect!

                        My little one is 13 so not sure about the Childrens Museum - but we have a blast at the City Museum in St Louis this Fall!

                        Thanks!
                        The STL city museum is incredible.

                        Whats more amazing is the numbers of lawsuits filed by those that get hurt at the museum, not kids though but the parents.

                        Put a typical 30 or 40 something parent in there and they're in there crawling around, sliding down, climbing up the maze of obstacles. You just cant help it.
                        Ask me how I know.
                        Trump, he's one of the nicest, most decent human beings possibly ever to walk the planet..

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I found out (too late) that Workingman's Friend only accepts cash. TD covered for me, so I still owe him a lunch.
                          It's hard to be cool when your dad is Goofy.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post
                            It takes great willpower to post that photo while you are doing Keto!

                            We have never been to Workingman's Friend but I vow to change that this May!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Indyknut View Post
                              The STL city museum is incredible.

                              Whats more amazing is the numbers of lawsuits filed by those that get hurt at the museum, not kids though but the parents.

                              Put a typical 30 or 40 something parent in there and they're in there crawling around, sliding down, climbing up the maze of obstacles. You just cant help it.
                              Ask me how I know.
                              Yeah I said no to that - hung out in the eclectic bar and played some pinball. But I get what you are saying for sure!

                              The place REALLY made you want to be a kid more then any other place I've ever been - super cool!

                              Comment

                              Unconfigured Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X