No announcement yet.

Indiana and several other states FINALLY cracking down on aggressive driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana and several other states FINALLY cracking down on aggressive driving

https://www.wishtv.com/news/crime-wa...019/1820672102

I've mentioned my feelings about a-hole drivers many times here, but those feelings became amplified when a speeder/tailgater plowed into my wife's van in January, with my 9yo kid inside. Glass from the rear window shattered all the way up to where my kid was sitting.

Thankfully, they made it out with only some back pain. But the next couple weeks were dedicated to trying to replace a ~2006 minivan with less than 100,000 miles on it -- something that simply wasn't available on the market at the time. We ended up paying $3000 more than the insurance payout on a slightly better van that unfortunately had 40,000 more miles on it. Yes, I did all kinds of research to get the best possible deal in the area and a fair settlement.

Anyway, my primary hope is that all of you will slow down, start maintaining a proper following distance, and make safer lane changes. If not, I hope you get pulled over.
    No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

I'm sorry your wife had an accident.

Every speed limit increase has resulted in a DECLINE in traffic mortality and morbidity. Every one. Traffic mortality and morbidity on interstates is at a far lower per capita rate than during the pure evil NMSL 55 times.

This happened exactly against doom and gloom predictions from those who profit from the random tax that is speed enforcement. Traffic cops, insider lawyers, radar gun makers, and the pure evil Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, AKA the insurance industry.

Comment

Originally posted by SamC View Post
      I'm sorry your wife had an accident.

Every speed limit increase has resulted in a DECLINE in traffic mortality and morbidity. Every one. Traffic mortality and morbidity on interstates is at a far lower per capita rate than during the pure evil NMSL 55 times.

This happened exactly against doom and gloom predictions from those who profit from the random tax that is speed enforcement. Traffic cops, insider lawyers, radar gun makers, and the pure evil Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, AKA the insurance industry.
      I too am sorry to hear about your accident. I have two sons that are in car seats and can't imagine how scary that was....I also agree with SamC in speeding isn't necessarily the evil, it's aggressive and distracted driving. I recently took a new job, one that gives me a company car. I had to take some online courses on distracted driving and it's really scary how much we're distracted.....and not only texting and driving which I avoid. Even talking to someone, hands free, on the phone causes a distraction. The course ran me through some animated scenarios where they flashed numbers up on the windshield as I was "driving"....and I had to click on the correct one. I nailed them all, until the next part where it asked me "how many crossing guards were on the left at the intersection?" and "what color was the tractor on the right?" Wow. I didn't have a clue. The point is we can't multitask as much as we like to think we can. It really opened my eyes, and I like to think I'm a pretty good driver. (of note, the NTSB surveyed like 10,000 drivers and 75% rated their ability as "above average"). I think something like the course I took should be either mandatory or heavily incentivized (insurance discounts, points off license, etc.) for all drivers every so often.....

As for this crackdown, I'm hopeful it's true and not just a way to write more tickets for more revenue. I-465 really needs a speed limit increase. 55 MPH is ridiculously low for that interstate.

Please everyone do your best to stay off the smart phones when driving....sometimes it's necessary (talking of course, not texting or checking Facebook) but man, it really is distracting.
      "We named the dog Indiana"

Comment

"We know that speed is the root of almost everything. If somebody is in a hurry, they are going to drive fast and that speed will cause them to weave in and out of traffic. It will cause them to tailgate people. Speed will cause them to run red lights run stop signs," Perrine said.
        Rather a vast oversimplification. Sorry, sounds like just another 'speeding crackdown'.

Doesn't address left lane bandits, failure to signal lane changes, last second dives (at or below speed limit) across multiple lanes to exits, cellphone/texting while driving....

Tailgating is not necessarily linked to speeding. It occurs at and below speed limits.

Most 'weaving in and out' is because the driver lacks situational awareness...they are not aware of anything over about 50 feet in front of their front bumper.
        BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

I hate tailgaters. Idiots putting lives at risk because they want to get somewhere faster and think getting 10' off my bumper will make a difference.

Another thing that really bugs me is the jackasses who realize their exit is coming up quicker than they realized so they cut across several lanes of traffic at the very last possible second.

Because going another mile to the next exit is completely unacceptable

Im not a violent person. I haven't hit anyone since 8th grade.

But when I come across these selfish jerks I really want to stop and beat them into a coma.
          Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Ren Butler View Post
            Indiana and several other states FINALLY cracking down on aggressive driving
            Out of an abundance of curiosity, can you name the several other states? I didn't see, or hear, any mention of them in the news piece you linked in the OP. I only heard a comment about how Indiana State Police and other unspecified law enforcement agencies (presumably other PDs within Indiana) are "cracking down."

Also, when you say, "FINALLY cracking down...," are you saying that Indiana and these several other states have heretofore not been enforcing the laws on the streets and highways?
            Last edited by doitagain; 03-05-2019, 01:29 PM.
            "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

I'm all for going after the "aggressive" drivers, if they also vigorously go after the Ren Butlers of the world who hang out in the left lane in their Toyonda Camcords doing 2 miles under the speed limit.

Comment

I’ve always considered it “getting a tow”, helps with gas mileage so I’m driving “green”.

That said, I usually avoid trying to draft those mini-vans with the stick figure family in the back window. They’re usually driving either dangerously under or over the speed limit.
                Last edited by Indyknut; 03-05-2019, 10:55 AM.
                Trump, he's one of the nicest, most decent human beings possibly ever to walk the planet..

Comment

Anyway, my primary hope is that all of you will slow down, start maintaining a proper following distance, and make safer lane changes. If not, I hope you get pulled over.
                  1.) No
                  2.) I have been.
                  3.) Not possible as I am perfect.
                  4.) Thanks for the good wishes.
                  "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                  ~~Groucho Marx
                  I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

I've mentioned my feelings about a-hole drivers many times here, but those feelings became amplified when a speeder/tailgater plowed into my wife's van in January, with my 9yo kid inside. Glass from the rear window shattered all the way up to where my kid was sitting.

Thankfully, they made it out with only some back pain. But the next couple weeks were dedicated to trying to replace a ~2006 minivan with less than 100,000 miles on it -- something that simply wasn't available on the market at the time. We ended up paying $3000 more than the insurance payout on a slightly better van that unfortunately had 40,000 more miles on it. Yes, I did all kinds of research to get the best possible deal in the area and a fair settlement.

I would never dream of entrusting the safety of my wife and children to a 13 year old minivan.

Comment

Whoa. Lots of posts missing. Ren's post accusing everybody of driving poorly stands. WTF?
                      Center Grove Trojans
                      2008 5A Football State Champs
                      2015 6A Football State Champs
                      2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                      2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

The difference is we know when we are being snarky or condescending.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post
                          Whoa. Lots of posts missing. Ren's post accusing everybody of driving poorly stands. WTF?
                          I didn't take his post personally I read it as, "you dangerous drivers", not as "you (everyone else)".
                          There's really no such thing as Gary the Moose, Sybil.

Comment

Originally posted by BADGER View Post
                            The difference is we know when we are being snarky or condescending.
                            I don't, always
                            There's really no such thing as Gary the Moose, Sybil.

Comment

I pray to whatever God may be that we all get to and from wherever we're going each time we get on the road.

That's all.

(we really need a heart emoticon)
                              You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X