• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feb. 22, 1980--Miracle On Ice

YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYscemhnf88

==

Sports Illustrated did something that the magazine had never done before. They printed the cover with no headlines, Just this picture.

https://www.usahockey.com/news_article/show/410469

==

I remember the frustration of not being able to see this game live and having to wait for the replay that night. Hard to imagine now.
    It's hard to be cool when your dad is Goofy.

Comment

Mark Johnson's number was just retired to the rafters at the Kohl Center. I was a hockey-playing kid at the time of this and had watched him (and Suter) play with the Badgers prior to going to the Olympics. He is one of the best college players I've ever seen and maybe the best scorer - if he had been a few inches taller he'd have had a monster pro career. I was really bummed to have to miss the ceremony, but my brother got to use my ticket and it was one of a few games my parents used their tickets, so I'm glad for that.

It was definitely weird having to wait for the replay of that game - but that kind of communal watching was also kind of cool. I love being able to see everything live now, but people definitely consume things at different times now and that means a bit of a loss in a way.
      Eff LBD!

Comment

Two of my Bowling Green Falcons were
        on that team: Mark Wells and Ken Morrow.

Morrow joined the Islanders after winning Olympic Gold in time to win a Stanley Cup. I don’t think any other hockey player has done that.

And Bowling Green won the NCAA National Championship at Lake Placid in 1984.

I love that ice rink!

Comment

I remember listening to the game on TV while I was sitting at the kitchen table putting together a model Harrier.
          "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Watched it in our crappy TV room in suburban New Jersey. What a great moment to be old enough to remember.

Id say more players have their name on Cup and a gold medal now. Once they allowed pros in it was pretty much guaranteed.

I watched some videos on the Red Army hockey team a few months back. They did nothing but practice and play hockey all day every day.

Seeing family was a rare moment. They were away training for months at a time.

If I recall correctly some of the players hated playing hockey after a while because that was all they did.

Tikhonov screwed up so badly when he pulled Tretiak.

I think the team was already knocked off balance by that goal and then to have their starting goalie yanked had to be a mind blower.

He passed away a few years ago. Both coaches are gone now.

Its funny to hear the play by play that was aired back in the USSR.

The game ends and they pretty much sign off and kill the mics.

They used a dumb round robin method of determining the medal back then and Russia could still have won gold if USA lost their next game.
            Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post

Id say more players have their name on Cup and a gold medal now. Once they allowed pros in it was pretty much guaranteed.
              Good point.

It would be interesting to know what players have done it in one season as Morrow did.

For sure he is the only amateur to pro who has ever done it.
              Last edited by Ken-Paul; 02-22-2019, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken-Paul View Post
                Good point.

It would be interesting to know what players have done it in one season as Morrow did.

For sure he is the only amateur to pro who has ever done it.
                Yeah it was a much lower bar later on.
                Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Ken-Paul View Post

Morrow joined the Islanders after winning Olympic Gold in time to win a Stanley Cup. I don’t think any other hockey player has done that.
                  I was curious. The list is long nowadays.

https://www.sports-reference.com/oly...ists.cgi?id=12
                  Live like Dave

Comment

Yeah, but the first Woolworths opened in Utica New York in 1879 on this date!
                    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                    ~~Groucho Marx
                    I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

It's also the 30th anniversary of Don't Worry, Be Happy winning a Grammy for Song of the Year.
                      The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable : John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Have you heard this year’s winner?
                        Or worse, watched the video?
                        "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                        ~~Groucho Marx
                        I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

Speaking of today's music... Some rapper, This guy Tekashi69. Is going into Witness Protection.

How is that gonna work... He's got 69 tattooed on his face?

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
                          I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

I kinda understand why someone might want him dead.
                            Live like Dave

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X