Seeking geek advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking geek advice

My humble HP laptop is nearing its tenth anniversary. Great for writing and websurfing (as long as I keep the adblocker on--YES, mods, I DO allow them to post on this site). Mediocre to just plain lousy for everything else, including amateur-level video editing--home movies, "fishing shows" and such, nothing professional.

I wouldn't mind something more powerful for that, but not so powerful it breaks the bank. So, I'm thinking of building my own this time. It doesn't look beyond me, in fact, compared to when I started using computers it looks simpler than ever if you just figure out what you want, do the research, and be patient.

I'm sure some of y'all do or have done that. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks...

EDIT: Should have been more specific, this will be a desktop. No one builds his own laptop...
    Last edited by skypigeon; 02-21-2019, 08:55 PM.
    "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
    --Danny Noonan

Building your own laptop?

Yeah, no.

Comment

Have built several desktops from the ground up but never a laptop.

Outside of the motherboard factor, the rest of desktop parts are fairly interchangeable with cases and mfrs, making it easy to build your own. With the compact size of the laptop imagine might be a little harder and mfr. components are more specific to specific laptop models.

From my desktop experience, assume laptop is similar, the only thing that really ever fails, or at least fails first, is the power supply. I think maybe one time I had to switch out a controller cable or CMOS battery or something first. So don't cheap out on the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by crispy View Post
        Building your own laptop?

Yeah, no.
        Agreed- Rube Goldberg stuff. Hell, unless one is putting together an old 32-bit system and overclocking everything one must ask "Why?".
        "Factually Unfounded Opinion" Rep. Elijah Cummings
        "Loyalty to petrified opinions never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul in this world — and never will." Mark Twain

Comment

Assembly is not difficult, but sometimes loading drivers & getting everything to work was a hassle in the past. That may be different now.

Me & my friends used to build our own desktops, but we quit because it ceased to be cost effective.
          "It is a besetting vice of democracies to substitute public opinion for law. This is the usual form in which masses of men exhibit their tyranny." - James Fenimore Cooper

"One man with courage is a majority." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Desktops customizable, definitely...
            Laptops, nope. You gotta pick a screen size, CPU, and whether you want a graphics chip or use the existing IGP on the CPU. That will pretty much narrow down your selection of laptops.

Comment

pidge, I tried to send you a private message but it couldn't go through.
              Center Grove Trojans
              2008 5A Football State Champs
              2015 6A Football State Champs
              2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
              2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Hmmm... that's weird, my mailbox should have plenty of room... I deleted some old stuff, try again.
                "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
                --Danny Noonan

Comment

I can't add much to the building portion as that is something I have never done. However, I can say one of the best upgrades I received at work this year was going from a standard keyboard to a mechanical keyboard. Specifically a Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Red switches. These keyboards are meant for gaming but in my use with AutoCAD and Revit the feel and response when typing is simply amazing versus a standard keyboard.
                  A ship on a voyage could sink in the deep.
                  A ship in the shallow could crack on the reef.
                  But only ashore is it safe where it is built
                  And only ashore is it useless.

Comment

LEGO brand ones are pretty good.
                    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                    ~~Groucho Marx
                    I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

I like this site: pcpartpicker.com

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dvmNmq

There is a good system for under $900 and you could do some gaming, if you like.

Comment

Buy a used MacBook Pro. They're cheap and durable.
                        You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski View Post
                          Buy a used MacBook Pro. They're cheap and durable.
                          Do you buy reconditioned, or from friends/known associates? (FYI - you seem like the type who would have known associates. )
                          Mess with me and you mess with the whole trailer park.

Comment

Originally posted by Gateway Fan View Post
                            Do you buy reconditioned, or from friends/known associates? (FYI - you seem like the type who would have known associates. )
                            Generally from known associates (and that's the first time they've been called that ). But honestly, reconditioned is usually fine too. They're easy enough to work on. The things just seem to fall into my hands.

Strangely, the older models are better, in my experience. Mine is from 2009 and still goes with me to the race track every weekend.
                            You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

I'm done with Macs, sorry. The last one I owned lasted barely over three years due to a problem with a factory-shipped bad GPU, and how Apple chose to handle it left a rotten taste in my mouth, especially considering how much the #[email protected]#[email protected]# thing cost. A few years later I was assigned a Macbook Pro at work and had to jump through productivity-sapping hoops to use it the time I had it. Not all the Mac's fault, for reasons I can't discuss on a public message board without getting into trouble, but enough the Mac's fault that I was more than happy to trade it in two years later for a stinkin' Dell.
                              --Danny Noonan

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X