Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Apollo 11 film, 1 week only at IMAX

A heads up. I've been looking forward to this. I'm going March 5

The Todd Douglas Miller documentary, which features never-before-seen 70mm footage and previously unheard audio from the historic first moon landing mission, will exclusively debut in IMAX theaters for one week only beginning March 1.

The feature-length film, which premiered to critical acclaim at the 2019 Sundance Film Festival, will then open in movie theaters everywhere on March 8.

Commissioned by CNN Films to create a film about the first moon landing, "Apollo 11" began taking shape as a feature documentary.

The more than 11,000 hours of audio recordings captured individual tracks from 60 members of Mission Control throughout every moment of the flight. "Apollo 11" film team members created code to restore the audio and make it searchable and then began the multi-year process of listening to and documenting the recordings. The effort yielded new insights into the mission's key events, as well as moments of humor and camaraderie.

The digitization of the 65mm film, as well as the re-scanning of 16mm and 35mm materials, was undertaken at Final Frame, a post-production house in New York City, which helped create a scanner capable of high dynamic range scanning at resolutions up to 8K. The resulting transfer — from which the film was cut — is the highest resolution, highest quality digital collection of Apollo 11 mission footage in existence.

Constructed entirely from archival materials and eschewing talking heads, "Apollo 11" captures the enormity of the event by giving audiences of all ages the direct experience of being there.

"Apollo 11" will be digitally re-mastered into the image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience with proprietary IMAX DMR (Digital Re-Mastering) technology.

Thanks for posting this. I'm looking forward to seeing it at the local IMAX theater.

https://www.imax.com/news/-apollo-11...sively-in-imax
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

We just got home from seeing the movie. If there is an IMAX theater in your area go see it on the BIG screen while you still can (before Thursday afternoon of the coming week).

Here's an excerpt from an interesting article about the making of the film:

The film is constructed from 100% archival footage, shot by or with the permission of NASA, during the Apollo 11 mission. But the wonder of it stems from the fact that the filmmakers “discovered” (with the help of the National Archives and Records Administration) some 165 reels of large format 70mm film shot in 1969 by Theo Kamecke (in 65mm Todd-AO format) for an MGM film called Moonwalk One. Fully 61 of those reels were directly related to the Apollo 11 mission. And most of the footage hadn’t been seen in decades, as it represented unused leftovers from that project.
      http://www.thedigitalbits.com/column...ts/030119-1400

"I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Unfortunately I can't see it because we are still out of the country. All the space geek sites I hang out at are raving about it
        and piling on high praise (and they know their stuff).

Guess I'll have to settle for the big screen or buy it.

Grrr!
        ...---...

Comment

Just got back, saw it with four generations A great experience for everyone, I think. So much I hadn't seen before, well-paced, like it happened yesterday.

"Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
          ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

Just got back from seeing it. Visually stunning. Not a narrated documentary, uses archival footage and sound to tell the story.
            A ship on a voyage could sink in the deep.
            A ship in the shallow could crack on the reef.
            But only ashore is it safe where it is built
            And only ashore is it useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Turn13 View Post
              A great experience for everyone, I think. So much I hadn't seen before, well-paced, like it happened yesterday.

My sentiments, exactly. People applauded during and after the film last night.

Comment

I am disappointed that the one IMAX theater in Cleveland is not showing it.

I still hope to catch it on the big screen.

Comment

I hope it will get a wider release and it'll eventually make it here like They Shall Not Grow Old did.
                  "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

It goes into wide release in "regular" theaters after the IMAX run ends this coming Thursday. Release on DVD/Blu-ray will be in May and it will be shown on television (CNN) this summer.
                    Last edited by Spike; 03-03-2019, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                      It goes into wide release in "regular" theaters after the IMAX run ends this coming Thursday. Release on DVD/Blu-ray will be in May and it well be shown on television (CNN) this summer.
                      I'm there.
                      The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

We saw it last night. Very enjoyable. I took my wife who really has no interest in space travel and she gave it a thumbs up. She was impressed that they had footage of Neil actually smiling. I was really impressed the amount of footage & audio that I had never seen before. One item that got a chuckle out of the crowd were the heart rates of the crew at launch. Buzz's was 88. I think my heart rate goes higher than that when I read a menu.
                        I loved hearing the audio during the burns behind the far side. I was not aware they recorded the in cabin conversations. The unseen or cleaned up footage was also very cool. The early EVA film of Neil taken from the LM cabin was so clear that you could Neil's face when he had his visor up. The film of the SIVB igniting for the TLI was very cool. I am curious how that shot was filmed. There is film from Apollo 9 showing their 3rd stage firing, but I doubt if they used that. One rather chilling item I briefly saw were the time till Acquisition Of Signal after trans Earth injection count down timers in Mission Control. There were 2 countdown timers. The shorter timer showed the time if the engine fired to come home(good), the other one was for if the engine failed to fire(very bad).
                        The only downer was the IMAX theater we saw it in was hardly a IMAX. It was just a slightly larger screen.

Comment

Originally posted by greg b View Post
                          She was impressed that they had footage of Neil actually smiling.
                          Neil smiled a lot; more often than not, in fact. He was not the dour, brooding, isolated soul depicted in "First Man."

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                            Neil smiled a lot; more often than not, in fact. He was not the dour, brooding, isolated soul depicted in "First Man."
                            I dragged her to that last year and you are correct, that's the impression she got.
                            I did see him once walking down the hall at UC many years ago and he had a smile on his face.

Comment

As many times as he cheated death, how could he not have a smile on his face?
                              "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
                              --Danny Noonan

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X