Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USS Hornet found

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • USS Hornet found

    https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/02/12/us/...www.cnn.com%2F

    The late Paul Allen's crew has done it again.
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

  • #2
    Sadly, this might be the last discovery of this type. Word out of Seattle is that Allen's sister and trustee is going to cut back on many of Allen's pet projects and focus on his core businesses.

    Comment


    • #3
      Does that mean the other USS Hornet needs to be renamed again?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by rodneyh View Post
        Does that mean the other USS Hornet needs to be renamed again?

        As soon as they bring Hornet I up.
        Live like Dave

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post
          Sadly, this might be the last discovery of this type. Word out of Seattle is that Allen's sister and trustee is going to cut back on many of Allen's pet projects and focus on his core businesses.
          BOAT> Bust Out Another Thousand. I'm sure they'll keep the airplane.
          "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post
            Sadly, this might be the last discovery of this type. Word out of Seattle is that Allen's sister and trustee is going to cut back on many of Allen's pet projects and focus on his core businesses.
            And last month they found the IJN battleship Hiei off Guadalcanal.
            It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by midtown View Post
              And last month they found the IJN battleship Hiei off Guadalcanal.
              I thought Robert Ballard found the Hiei years ago? I know he found the Kirishima (which is upside down on the bottom), but I thought Hiei was also discovered then.

              Comment


              • #8
                Embedded article on Hiei from CNN link above.
                https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/02/12/asi...ntl/index.html
                It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Unzerdog View Post
                  BOAT> Bust Out Another Thousand. I'm sure they'll keep the airplane.
                  They've cut way back on the Stratolaunch project:

                  https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/19/...axes-projects/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Unzerdog View Post
                    BOAT> Bust Out Another Thousand. I'm sure they'll keep the airplane.
                    This is Paul Allen's pleasure yacht:



                    I'm guessing "another thousand" doesn't get you much on this scale.
                    Center Grove Trojans
                    2008 5A Football State Champs
                    2015 6A Football State Champs
                    2011 Track State Champs

                    Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I watched the video today.

                      Very interesting at how intact the wreckage looks after sitting down there almost 80 years.
                      Live like Dave

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post
                        They've cut way back on the Stratolaunch project:

                        https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/19/...axes-projects/
                        It's probably progressed way too far to cancel outright.
                        "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

                        "If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
                          I watched the video today.

                          Very interesting at how intact the wreckage looks after sitting down there almost 80 years.
                          One shot I saw showed the aircraft tug sitting there just like it was still on the sea surface. Remarkable.

                          I know the technology fairly well. We used a lot of the same stuff in the deepwater oil industry. The leaps made in camera, sensor, and navigation in just the last 5-10 years are incredible. The fact they were unable to find the Malaysian airliner wasn't because of the search equipment.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by akh View Post
                            One shot I saw showed the aircraft tug sitting there just like it was still on the sea surface. Remarkable.
                            Looking like someone drove it yesterday.

                            Apples and oranges of course but Titanic had been gone for about the same length of time when it was found and it was covered with rusticles.

                            Barely recognizable as a ship in some places even. I saw nothing like that on the Hornet video.
                            Live like Dave

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The Titanic is at a shallower depth, 5000 ft less I think that has something to do with it.
                              It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

                              Comment

                              Unconfigured Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X