Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL 2019

The offseason was really short.

The Raiders will play in San Francisco for 2019 season. The team reached a deal with the SF Giants to use Oracle Park (formerly ATT Park). Announcement expected this week.

The problem with AT&T is the football field barely fits.

One End Zone has the first base line cutting right through it.

Not like the Oakland Coliseum was much better I guess.

Comment

It's official, Rams assistant Zac Taylor is now the Bengals head coach as of today.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...eir-head-coach

Comment

Brian Flores, Patriots LB coach, hired as HC at Miami:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...erent-aligned/

Comment

My first impression is that neither hire is a particularly good one. Zac Taylor seems like he got hired due to working with/for Sean McVay than for what he has actually done. And after watching Goff in the Superbowl, I wonder if the Bengals had any misgivings about hiring the qb coach of a qb that really seems to struggle under pressure. The big question in my mind about Flores has more to do with the failure of the Belichick coaching tree. Then once you factor in that neither destination has a good answer at qb, and I just do not see this working out very well for either guy. Obviously a long offseason to go with the draft and all that. But, I am glad I am not a Bengals or Dolphins fan right now.

Comment

Hopefully, Flores gets a chance to turn the Dolphins around. They are going to cut QB Ryan Tannehill and a bunch of other high-priced vets and go into full on tank mode, hoping to get the number 1 pick in 2020 draft which will likely be Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa or Georgia's Jake Fromm.

Comment

So, a bit of copy and paste from the 2018 NFL thread about the new head coaches in 2019.

Green Bay: Matt LeFleur
              Tampa Bay: Bruce Arians
              Arizona: Kliff Kingsbury
              Denver: Vic Fangio
              NY Jets: Adam Gase
              Cleveland: Freddie Kitchens
              Miami: Brian Flores
              Cincinnati: Zac Taylor

I honestly think that Freddie Kitchens probably has the best chance for success based on the inherited qb, decent defense, and the division. LeFleur will have a chance just because of Aaron Rogers, but the NFC North is going to beat up on each other quite a bit, imo. I would love to see Vic Fangio have success, but history is not on his side and that will also be a really tough division with both the Chiefs and Chargers being ahead of the Broncos right now. The Broncos also do not have really a great solution at qb, but there could be enough to keep things close and competitive. I think Kingsbury will be a disaster at the NFL level and I have no idea why the Jets think Gase and his OC Dowell Loggains will be able to develop their young qb. Finally, while I think Arians is a pretty good coach, I am just not sure about the player situation in Tampa, again mainly at qb. I just do not see being able to win with Winston.

Comment

Originally posted by Canth View Post

I honestly think that Freddie Kitchens probably has the best chance for success based on the inherited qb, decent defense, and the division.
                Let's hope Baker Mayfield has changed his opinion:

Comment

My first impression is that neither hire is a particularly good one. Zac Taylor seems like he got hired due to working with/for Sean McVay than for what he has actually done. And after watching Goff in the Superbowl, I wonder if the Bengals had any misgivings about hiring the qb coach of a qb that really seems to struggle under pressure.
                  I too think the Bengals caught the young head coach bug. Not sure that I would put all of Goff's missteps at the foot of Taylor. He had the case of the jitters and only Goff can ultimately fix it.

My big concern as always is, will Mikey and Katie supply Taylor with what he needs for success, namely the right side of the OL, a LB to finally replace Burfict, a corner to replace Kirkpatrick and a tight end that can stay healthy. You can't get that in one draft. Will Mikey and Katie give Taylor a bit more of the reins than they have given previous coaches. If both of these do not happen he will end up a less grander Marvin Lewis.

Comment

Originally posted by grogg View Post
                    I too think the Bengals caught the young head coach bug. Not sure that I would put all of Goff's missteps at the foot of Taylor. He had the case of the jitters and only Goff can ultimately fix it.

My big concern as always is, will Mikey and Katie supply Taylor with what he needs for success, namely the right side of the OL, a LB to finally replace Burfict, a corner to replace Kirkpatrick and a tight end that can stay healthy. You can't get that in one draft. Will Mikey and Katie give Taylor a bit more of the reins than they have given previous coaches. If both of these do not happen he will end up a less grander Marvin Lewis.
                    Oh, I was not trying to put all of Goff’s mistakes on him. Heck, that is probably as much on McVay and his play calling in the Superbowl. But at the same time, I get the impression that Taylor did not really have much to do with the development of Goff. And if he is the guy’s position coach, you would want to hear that he was really helping Goff get better. Right or wrong, there was never much national talk anyway about him really making an impact. You are right that ultimately Goff has to work to fix his issues with reads and pressure, but there are ways for coaches to help make that easier. Whether that is drills, helping with film study/recognition, or working with the play caller to point out strengths to emphasize or weaknesses to minimize. But I did not hear anything about that with Taylor. Looking at his coaching resume, he had stops in Miami and apparently Cincinnati before but I never heard of him really until he was suddenly matched up with the Bengals as their next head coach. Just seems really odd. Who knows, maybe he really was a hell of an interview that can execute a grand vision. But I would not bet on it.

Comment

Oh, I was not trying to put all of Goff’s mistakes on him. Heck, that is probably as much on McVay and his play calling in the Superbowl. But at the same time, I get the impression that Taylor did not really have much to do with the development of Goff. And if he is the guy’s position coach, you would want to hear that he was really helping Goff get better. Right or wrong, there was never much national talk anyway about him really making an impact. You are right that ultimately Goff has to work to fix his issues with reads and pressure, but there are ways for coaches to help make that easier. Whether that is drills, helping with film study/recognition, or working with the play caller to point out strengths to emphasize or weaknesses to minimize. But I did not hear anything about that with Taylor. Looking at his coaching resume, he had stops in Miami and apparently Cincinnati before but I never heard of him really until he was suddenly matched up with the Bengals as their next head coach. Just seems really odd. Who knows, maybe he really was a hell of an interview that can execute a grand vision. But I would not bet on it.
                      Upon his hiring, the comments section of some of these stories and on FB has comparisons to David Shula. Although I think he is probably better (he has to be), the comparison is a little unsettling to me. I've heard he has been in the coaching end in some capacity almost since it was apparent that he would not make it as a pro player. I read about his pedigree, which isn't bad, and his stints with TB, Miami, Bearcatland and the Rams. I would call what I read as mixed.

I hope he does well as the Bengals badly needed another direction. But I can see your point as he is a relative unknown. To support your argument is the Bengal braintrust made some odd decisions in the past (Shula, Klingler, John Ross...), I'm hoping the Bengals are not going down that road again.

Comment

The Browns are going to sign Kareem Hunt, the Chiefs RB who was cut after video surfaced of him in a short scuffle with a girl in a hotel hallway.

He will still be subject to possible - likely - suspension by the NFL at the start of the regular season.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post
                          The Browns are going to sign Kareem Hunt,
                          Is he going to be the kicker?
                          Center Grove Trojans
                          2008 5A Football State Champs
                          2015 6A Football State Champs
                          2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                          2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Joe Flacco to the Broncos.
                            Center Grove Trojans
                            2008 5A Football State Champs
                            2015 6A Football State Champs
                            2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                            2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post
                              Joe Flacco to the Broncos.
                              Pretty lateral move for a crap-ton more money, IMO. Flacco isn't that much better (if at all) than Case Keenum.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X